Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/4/2017 8:41:05 PM EDT
Guys I just got the sig brace from the liquiation sale they had. I love the brace (the strap is a little annoying on my face) but besides that I like it better than my KAK right now, it doesn't hurt me really.

The brace is almost perfect except that it's FDE and it would be fantastic if it was BLACK.

I know people say you an use RIT DYE MORE and it will dye it. HOWEVER I  have a few questions about the dyeing process.

1. Is the Dye permanent? Or will it fade/chip off/wear off? Or will it be black forever?
2. One of the main reasons I jumped on this deal was to check out how these worked. They are TIGHT, so hard to put over my buffer tube, and I LOVE THAT. When these get "boiled" to dye them do they lose any of their rigidity? Do they deform? Will they go on JUST as tight?
3. How does a Dyed sig brace look and feel? Is it even noticable it was dyed? Any texture changes?

I know this is a lot but I'm hoping someone can chime in!

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Dye penetrates the surface.  It will not chip or peel.  It is relatively permanent.  It may fade a little over time or leach out for a little while after the initial dying, so don't wear light colors until it is set.  I have dyed hard plastic part with various degrees of success, but not rubberized parts like the Sig Brace.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got one as well and it actually does not look bad, if I decide to change the color I am going to use the same type of paint they use on the flexible bumpers on cars now a days, it is a flexible paint that will hold up to quite a bit of flex.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea I love it, I'm going to dye it i think. It can't hurt.

I talked to a guy on FB and he said it loses no structural integrity, and is a dark "grey" ... we'll see.

I like hte idea of dye b/c its easy to apply, otherwise that paint idea sounds decent.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I have tried to dye soft rubber before, like on some rail covers, and the dye would not take. This is a different type rubber, so am not sure, but like some of you, I bought one in FDE and want black, so I am going to try this.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a special dye made just for rubbery, flexible materials. Someone posted about it in another thread somewhere on the forum
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a special dye made just for rubbery, flexible materials. Someone posted about it in another thread somewhere on the forum
View Quote
I think it was iDye Poly or Rit Poly.  Can't find the thread right now.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its iDye Poly
Here's the thread.
iDye Poly

At the bottom.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Be aware that a lot of dyes can contain salts of various types... you will want to be sure it is completely rinsed/neutralized, etc.

Also some dyes can be intensified/enhanced by soaking the stuff to be colored in a solution of salts or something with a different pH.  Exactly what depends on what dye and what you are coloring.  This is what makes a standard walmart crafts center Rit dye tie-dye shirt look like a blob, whereas "professionally done" tie-dyes have colors that are bright, and vibrant, and "pop".
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Trust me.  

Goes on easy, easy to touch up, easy to take off if you've applied it correctly.  Available, generally, in the color of your choice. And, it's rubber.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top