Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/26/2017 2:20:30 AM EDT
So i recently bought a used colt stripped lower off of gunbroker, and apparently it came off of rifle. It was checked into my FFL as a receiver and transferred to me as such, however, so am I still permitted to build a pistol from this? Or since it started its life manufactured as a rifle is it a no-go? I would think it wouldn't matter since obviously we can't be expected to know it's entire history other than what it was for sale as at the point of sale, but I'm curious if the ATF has made a statement on this in the past.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:39:23 AM EDT
[#1]
If it can be proved it was built as a rifle, then building it into a pistol would be a no no, with the serial number on it, it has been reported to the BATF by the manufacture of the gun what it left the factory as.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/annual-firearms-manufacturing-and-exportation-report-afmer-atf-form-530011

The annual report requires the numbers of each type of gun manufactured during the proceeding year, the manufacture is required to maintain the serial number database.  Would you get caught, I can say, can it be checked by the BATF, yes it can and local law enforcement can also do a trace on a firearm, I have had a few BATF trace requests over the years.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:43:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it can be proved it was built as a rifle, then building it into a pistol would be a no no, with the serial number on it, it has been reported to the BATF by the manufacture of the gun what it left the factory as.
View Quote
Did the seller break the law then by selling it as a receiver?
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:50:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Did the seller break the law then by selling it as a receiver?
View Quote
Did he have knowledge that it had been a rifle to begin with, if so, he should have disclosed it, when I sell parts like lower receivers, I always disclose what it began life as, the lower receiver is the part that is covered under the BATF requirements, it is considered the firearm.   What type of firearm is determine by the records of the manufacture, as you have stated you know it to be a receiver that began life as a rifle, then you would be in violation if you built it into a pistol.

If the seller misrepresented the lower, then he could be hit, but that would be up to the investigator to determine how much of a prick he/she wanted to be and what the intent was.  Got to remember, the BATF determines intent, not your nor the seller.  If for some reason a trace was done on that receiver, saying I didn't know would not make a difference.

If it were me, I would build it into another rifle and pick up another stripped lower receiver to build into a pistol.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:54:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Did he have knowledge that it had been a rifle to begin with, if so, he should have disclosed it, when I sell parts like lower receivers, I always disclose what it began life as, the lower receiver is the part that is covered under the BATF requirements, it is considered the firearm.   What type of firearm is determine by the records of the manufacture, as you have stated you know it to be a receiver that began life as a rifle, then you would be in violation if you built it into a pistol.

If it were me, I would build it into another rifle and pick up another stripped lower receiver to build into a pistol.
View Quote
Yeah he did disclose it after I asked him after receiving the transfer unfortunately.

What if I took the receiver to an 07 FFL and had them log it in their manufacturing records as a receiver and transfer it to me as a receiver, would that be kosher?
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:56:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah he did disclose it after I asked him after receiving the transfer unfortunately.

What if I took the receiver to an 07 FFL and had them log it in their manufacturing records as a receiver and transfer it to me as a receiver, would that be kosher?
View Quote
No, once a rifle it is always a rifle in the BATF's eyes, that is how the regulations are wrote and that is how they are enforced, it is listed in the records of Colt as a rifle.  The only thing legally you can do with it, is to apply for a tax stamp as an SBR lower, if you tax stamp it and get approved, you can put any length barrel on it you want.

When a new stripped lower is sold, it is suppose to be listed as "other" on the 4473, if it was known that it was a rifle to begin with, it should have been listed as a rifle on the 4473.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:01:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No, once a rifle it is always a rifle in the BATF's eyes, that is how the regulations are wrote and that is how they are enforced, it is listed in the records of Colt as a rifle.  The only thing legally you can do with it, is to apply for a tax stamp as an SBR lower, if you tax stamp it and get approved, you can put any length barrel on it you want.

When a new stripped lower is sold, it is suppose to be listed as "other" on the 4473, if it was known that it was a rifle to begin with, it should have been listed as a rifle on the 4473.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/if-i-purchase-firearm-and-manufactureremanufacture-it-different-firearm-do-i-need-report

You are a licensed manufacturer (type 07 or type 10 FFL) and obtain a rifle from a licensee other than a type 07 or type 10 FFL, or from a non-licensee. You then remanufacture the rifle into a pistol and sell it. This would be included in your AFMER report because your modification resulted in a change to the firearm’s type (i.e. from rifle to pistol). This would also be reportable for rifles turned into short-barreled rifles, semi-automatic weapons turned into machineguns, or any other remanufacturing that changes the AFMER classification of the weapon.
Looks like it can be done, but only by an 07 or 10 FFL. Guess i'll have to find someone with one of those.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:02:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Any stripped receiver is properly sold and described as a receiver.  The history of what is has been before isn't important to that description.

If you want to build a pistol you should be well aware of the need to buy a new, unassembled receiver. Colt does not sell stripped receivers.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:04:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted: Colt does not sell stripped receivers.
View Quote
I know, nor do they make pistols. I just wanted to be the cool kid on the block with a colt pistol. :(
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:04:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/if-i-purchase-firearm-and-manufactureremanufacture-it-different-firearm-do-i-need-report

Looks like it can be done, but only by an 07 or 10 FFL. Guess i'll have to find someone with one of those.
View Quote
Good luck in finding someone to do it, I am a FFL 07/SOT and I would not do it, I have seen the BATF do to much shit over the years!

There is no such thing as a Colt AR style pistol.

If I have information it was a rifle when it began life, that is what I list when I sell one and have never had a problem with it, but Gamma is correct, listing as a receiver is correct, but again, I have never had a problem with inspections that I have gone through, but I don't sell many guns.

Being the cool kid on the block showing up at the range with a Colt pistol could or would draw attention.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:15:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good luck in finding someone to do it, I am a FFL 07/SOT and I would not do it, I have seen the BATF do to much shit over the years!

There is no such thing as a Colt AR style pistol.
View Quote
Yeah i'm thinking i'll just turn this into a rifle build for now. I do know a guy in my local gun group with an 07 FFL so I might chat him up about it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:17:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah i'm thinking i'll just turn this into a rifle build for now. I do know a guy in my local gun group with an 07 FFL so I might chat him up about it.
View Quote
Either that, or just get it stamped, you are not required to use a rifle stock on a registered SBR.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
NO that receiver will ALWAYS be a rifle it can never be made into a pistol,  you need to buy another virgin lower and make it into a pistol, you can either sell the one you have but disclose it is a rifle, or build it into a rifle, but in can NEVER be a pistol.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top