Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/23/2017 2:45:32 PM EDT
Hi Guys.

I am having some accuracy issues I would like some help troubleshooting.

Details:
Barrel: KAK SPECIAL 1:7 5R 300 BLACKOUT 9 INCH PISTOL STAINLESS BARREL "MR BLOND"
Ammo: Gorilla Ammunition 300 AAC Blackout Ammo 208 Grain Hornady A-Max (subsonic)
Spiked Upper & Lower
Timney Trigger
Suppressor: Silencerco Omega

This is my 5th or 6th build and I am having serious accuracy issues. I am shooting paper plate sized groups @ 50yds.  Is this the kind of accuracy I should expect from this rig?  It is my first pistol and just not sure my expectations. Ideally I'd like for 2-3MOA gun at 50 yrd for fox hunting. Where should I start to dig into this?

Thanks
 TJ
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Not personally familiar with that barrel, but a couple of articles I skimmed indicated that it was a decent barrel.  What handguard are you using with your setup?  Also missed any mention of an optic.  Your listed components look good, and that ammo is supposed to be good.  On your suppressor, you're not getting any baffle strikes, are you?  How is your suppressor attached?

My 300BO pistol uses a BA 9.5" 1:7 barrel in nitride chromoly.  I use the 208g Hornady ELD-M in my own reloads which is basically identical to the AMAX and in fact appears to be replacing the AMAX.  I shot the 208g AMAX in Hornady's Black ammo first in a test with two other subsonic 200g+ rounds, and the AMAX was the clear winner.  You have an appropriate barrel twist for the heavy subs, so I don't think that's the issue.  

I use a SiCo Hybrid that is directly threaded onto the barrel...no shims or other components.  At 50 yards off a rest I can occasionally get .75" groups of five but never worse than 1.25" groups unless I clearly had a flier I could attribute to myself.  The 208g AMAX and ELD-M are very accurate if they're loaded right.

If your barrel is good my first thoughts go to the optic, handguard attachment, and suppressor attachment.  Of course, I think I might buy some Hornady Black in that 208g AMAX to see how it compares for a quick check.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Try unsuppressed with the same ammo, then unsuppressed with supers. If you have irons use them instead of your optic, if not get some.  

Basically remove as many variables as possible and change the ones you can't remove.

If you get good groups then start changing things back until you lose it again. There's your problem.

If the problem doesn't come back then all the better.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, one other question I didn't ask...you did sight this gun in with the suppressor, correct?  I'm sure you're probably aware that POI can shift between suppressed and unsuppressed...even with same ammo...so you usually want to shoot the gun as you sighted it in.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not personally familiar with that barrel, but a couple of articles I skimmed indicated that it was a decent barrel.  What handguard are you using with your setup?  Also missed any mention of an optic.  Your listed components look good, and that ammo is supposed to be good.  On your suppressor, you're not getting any baffle strikes, are you?  How is your suppressor attached?

My 300BO pistol uses a BA 9.5" 1:7 barrel in nitride chromoly.  I use the 208g Hornady ELD-M in my own reloads which is basically identical to the AMAX and in fact appears to be replacing the AMAX.  I shot the 208g AMAX in Hornady's Black ammo first in a test with two other subsonic 200g+ rounds, and the AMAX was the clear winner.  You have an appropriate barrel twist for the heavy subs, so I don't think that's the issue.  

I use a SiCo Hybrid that is directly threaded onto the barrel...no shims or other components.  At 50 yards off a rest I can occasionally get .75" groups of five but never worse than 1.25" groups unless I clearly had a flier I could attribute to myself.  The 208g AMAX and ELD-M are very accurate if they're loaded right.

If your barrel is good my first thoughts go to the optic, handguard attachment, and suppressor attachment.  Of course, I think I might buy some Hornady Black in that 208g AMAX to see how it compares for a quick check.
View Quote
I'm using the following:
Spikes Upper Receiver - Forged M4 Flat Top (Multi Cal) (SFT50M4)
Rail - Spike's LW BAR2 - 13.2" (SAR2113)

The suppressor is direct threaded to the barrel.

Optic is Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50mm (30mm)
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, one other question I didn't ask...you did sight this gun in with the suppressor, correct?  I'm sure you're probably aware that POI can shift between suppressed and unsuppressed...even with same ammo...so you usually want to shoot the gun as you sighted it in.
View Quote
Correct. Gun has only been shot suppressed.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Barrel nut tight?  Check the crown very well.  Swap optics as it could be scope or mount.  And give KAK a call, Kurt usually replies very quickly.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Paper plates are generally around 10'' in diameter. At 50 yards that would equal 20 MOA.
Something is wrong. No barrel or ammo could be that bad.
I would check that the barrel is attached solid before shooting it again. If the gun is indeed built correctly the scope or mount must be messed up in some way.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I shoot that barrel non suppressed on a Spikes billet upper, Samson 10" rail and a Spike NIB BCG. It's got a decent trigger (RRA national match 2 stage) and it's easy 1 moa at 50 with a red dot if I use decent ammo. Reloads obviously cause it to open up but not to the level you are experiencing. More like 2" - 3". At 100 yards I am happy with Minute of Bad Guy accuracy (all center mass inside the 9 ring)  but that's probably more due to shooting with a non magnified optic and my aging eyes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Make sure the suppressor is on tight, if it is at all loose it throws off accuracy completely.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top