Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2017 1:17:31 PM EDT
If I buy a virgin stripped lower and build a pistol on it; can I convert it later to a rifle and then at a still later date convert it back to a pistol?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If I buy a virgin stripped lower and build a pistol on it; can I convert it later to a rifle and then at a still later date convert it back to a pistol?
View Quote

Yup, you sure can.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok I am confused  I thought once it went rifle you couldn't go backwards?

We visit this topic a lot.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Rifle can't go pistol.

Pistol-rifle-pistol-rifle-...is OK.

Dumb, I know.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Rifle can't go pistol.

Dumb, I know.
View Quote
This is Exhibit A in my argument that "government bureaucracy is fundamentally retarded" 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:  Ok I am confused  I thought once it went rifle you couldn't go backwards?

View Quote
http://mechtechsys.com
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Untrue. What is important is how it is originally assembled/constructed. If it's originally assembled as a handgun, you can go back and forth at will. Originally assembled as a rifle cannot. Some AR builders therefore just assemble all their lowers as pistols first.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Rifle can't go pistol.

Dumb, I know.
View Quote
And the OP should also check his or her local State Laws.  Some have additional laws that negate this option (like POS California).
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And the OP should also check his or her local State Laws.  Some have additional laws that negate this option (like POS California).
View Quote
That goes without saying, always check your states laws, cause some of the states have really gone retard on these issues.!
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#9]
If a tree falls in the forest............
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Some AR builders therefore just assemble all their lowers as pistols first.
View Quote
Guilty.

Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If a tree falls in the forest............
View Quote
Sure that is easy to say, and yes, it is a dumb rule, but it is the rule, that if you run into the jerkoff at the range that makes it a big deal, you could end up in club Fed!

As I keep saying, I am glad I don't have to utilize a range to do my shooting!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:40:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is Exhibit A in my argument that "government bureaucracy is fundamentally retarded" 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rifle can't go pistol.

Dumb, I know.
You're critique was much more eloquent than my "dumb I know".

Next let's talk about "firearms not designed to be fired from the shoulder which fire 12 gauge shotgun shells" and aren't really shotguns.

Better yet, antiques/black powder "things" which aren't even considered firearms.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That goes without saying, always check your states laws, cause some of the states have really gone retard on these issues.!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Case in point:  Mossberg Shockwaves and now 870 TAC-14s.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#14]
But say someone picked up a stripped lower from someone, and it was originally built as a factory rifle, how would anyone even know, including the buyer?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I build all my rifles as pistols first, just in case.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:56:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
But say someone picked up a stripped lower from someone, and it was originally built as a factory rifle, how would anyone even know, including the buyer?
View Quote
The buyer wouldn't, but the ATF certainly would with just a phone call or two if they wanted to check.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:02:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Untrue. What is important is how it is originally assembled/constructed. If it's originally assembled as a handgun, you can go back and forth at will. Originally assembled as a rifle cannot. Some AR builders therefore just assemble all their lowers as pistols first.
View Quote
If you think about it all ar's are built as pistols since the the buffer tube and stock cant be put on at the same time
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:24:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you think about it all ar's are built as pistols since the the buffer tube and stock cant be put on at the same time
View Quote
Stock is not required to be a rifle -- as long as the manufacturer intends it to be a rifle, it's a rifle. Indeed, the word "stock" does not even appear in the definition of rifle in federal statute.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:01:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  If you think about it all ar's are built as pistols since the the buffer tube and stock cant be put on at the same time
View Quote
It's not a pistol until the upper is installed.  If the stock goes on the lower before the upper gets dropped on, it's a 16" AR rifle.  If you put the stock on AFTER the upper, then it started life as a 16" AR pistol.

But if the manufacturer ships it as a complete rifle, it's always a rifle - until you make it a shotgun, or an SBR, or SBS.  It's never a pistol, however.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#20]
It's all a simple matter of reading the definitions. If it doesn't meet the definition 100% then it is not that firearm.
A pistol can go back and forth because the definition includes the term "means a weapon originally designed, made, and intended..." So converting it to a rifle does not change the "original design.." so it can go back to its original configuration because it was never a rifle but merely configured as one..

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(29) and 27 CFR § 478.11The term “Pistol” means a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or
more barrels when held in one hand, and having:
  • a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s);
  • and a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I feel like if you buy a stripped lower then it does not matter what it was or ever is. It's "other" forever.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I feel like if you buy a stripped lower then it does not matter what it was or ever is. It's "other" forever.
View Quote
The judge, prosecutor, and BATFE don't care about your feels.  If it shipped as a rifle, there's a 10 year felony penalty for building it as a pistol.  Bullshit law, but it's been upheld by the Supremes.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The judge, prosecutor, and BATFE don't care about your feels.  If it shipped as a rifle, there's a 10 year felony penalty for building it as a pistol.  Bullshit law, but it's been upheld by the Supremes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
thats not what we are talking about. We are talking about buying a stripped lower not a complete firearm
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
thats not what we are talking about. We are talking about buying a stripped lower not a complete firearm
View Quote
The splitting hairs prob is whether it's a virgin stripped lower or a used one. A used lower that was first released as a rifle remains verboten for a pistol build forever.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:36:35 AM EDT
[#25]
How many times do we have to have this conversation, the rules and laws are actually very clear, if you build it as a rifle, then it is always a rifle, if you build it as a pistol, then you can go back and forth..Now a days, stuff is so cheap, there is no reason to even worry about it..  Keep a couple of pistol configured lowers in the safe..

As far as buying a used stripped lower receiver, then you should side on the side it was a rifle!  if you want to build a pistol, order a damn stripped receiver, put a pistol tube on it and take a picture of it where the serial number is visible, if you are doing 80%  I don't know what to tell you, if the receiver was built by a manufacture, then when it was sold, it was listed as a rifle and that description does not go away, it is recorded somewhere, if it is a stripped receiver, then if they did their job correctly when they sold it, then it is other, if it is a 80% then there is NO record of it, it is a paper weight, period!

This is not complicated, it is clear if you have the capability of comprehension.

Come on guys!

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  I feel like if you buy a stripped lower then it does not matter what it was or ever is. It's "other" forever.
The problem only arises if it is now a stripped lower you're buying from your dealer, but it was originally shipped as a complete rifle from the manufacturer.  If you're buying a used stripped lower, best to contact the manufacturer and find out what it originally shipped as.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:59:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The problem only arises if it is now a stripped lower you're buying from your dealer, but it was originally shipped as a complete rifle from the manufacturer.  If you're buying a used stripped lower, best to contact the manufacturer and find out what it originally shipped as.
View Quote
For the most part, I would not even worry about it, if it came from a manufacture, I would consider it a rifle.  As inexpensive as parts are right now, I won't even consider buying a used lower, unless it is specifically for a reproduction project I am doing and even then it is going to be a rifle..

If I walk into a Pawn Shop or a Gun Store and there is a Used stripped lower, my brain is going to say, that is a rifle..period end of story, stripped lowers are to cheap these days to even worry about it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For the most part, I would not even worry about it, if it came from a manufacture, I would consider it a rifle.  As inexpensive as parts are right now, I won't even consider buying a used lower, unless it is specifically for a reproduction project I am doing and even then it is going to be a rifle..

If I walk into a Pawn Shop or a Gun Store and there is a Used stripped lower, my brain is going to say, that is a rifle..period end of story, stripped lowers are to cheap these days to even worry about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  The problem only arises if it is now a stripped lower you're buying from your dealer, but it was originally shipped as a complete rifle from the manufacturer.  If you're buying a used stripped lower, best to contact the manufacturer and find out what it originally shipped as.

More a word to the wise for someone who wants to, say, build a Colt-lowered AR pistol.  That's gonna be rather difficult to do, albeit there may be some non-rifle Colt Competition lowers out there, IIRC.

When new Anderson's are down to $30-33, a new lower is cheap insurance.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top