Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2017 2:03:36 PM EDT
I am not seeing just a ton of manufacturer-built pistols out there that I am too excited about.

So I sit down and price a build that focuses on light weight but not polymer, and I get to $1,300 to $1,400 range very quickly.

Whereas I can just about buy TWO NIB Colt 6920s for that much cake these days.

Im NOT on a skinny budget per se. But I dont want to flush money on a build if there is a good mfg produced option out there worth looking at.

Does anyone MAKE a quality light-weight pistol build out there?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I just spent around $1300, and before I'm finished I figure close to $1500... I had a PSA 10.5 that was OK, but wanted an extra inch.. So started another one with a BCM 11.5 lightweight upper.
I could have gone cheaper if I had wanted a rail, but for a rough use type weapon, I like an A2 front sight.
So.. I feel your pain.

As a side note, the BCM 11.5 lightweight, is a hair lighter than the PSA 10.5 A2 barrel style.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, you can accidentally spend a small fortune on lightweight pistol builds.
The economies of scale are not on our side.

What specs are you working toward?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, you can accidentally spend a small fortune on lightweight pistol builds.
The economies of scale are not on our side.

What specs are you working toward?
View Quote
10.5" 1:7 BCA
aero precision up and low
skeletonized timney 4 lb
brownell nickel boron bolt carrier
raptor ambi charging handle
noveske ambi safety
spikes st-1 heavy buffer

The prices for these are what they are..

Just had sticker shock.. Big boy pants time I guess..
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

10.5" 1:7 BCA
aero precision up and low
skeletonized timney 4 lb
brownell nickel boron bolt carrier
raptor ambi charging handle
noveske ambi safety
spikes st-1 heavy buffer

The prices for these are what they are..

Just had sticker shock.. Big boy pants time I guess..
View Quote
Well it really depends where you are sourcing parts for the best price.  Then there is what is being selected and is there as good or better parts available at a much better price.  But if you want what you want I understand, that said a number or your parts on the wish list could be reevaluated.   Don't source directly from manufacture as generally you will save at their distributors.  Rethink the Timney and save some cake, I recently had delivered for $109 a LaRue mbt and am very happy with it.  You likely could do better then the Brownells bcg by purchasing a tool craft nitride or see what AIM or PSA has on sale.  Get a regular H buffer it will do everything the Spikes does but cheaper and your not cheaping out.  If you really need a $95 charging handle go for but know for about half that price is a more than decent bcm with a great reputation.  

Point is there are ways do it less expensively without going to the bottom of the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out Karris Guns. An AR pistol set up with a shockwave $529-579.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well it really depends where you are sourcing parts for the best price.  Then there is what is being selected and is there as good or better parts available at a much better price.  But if you want what you want I understand, that said a number or your parts on the wish list could be reevaluated.   Don't source directly from manufacture as generally you will save at their distributors.  Rethink the Timney and save some cake, I recently had delivered for $109 a LaRue mbt and am very happy with it.  You likely could do better then the Brownells bcg by purchasing a tool craft nitride or see what AIM or PSA has on sale.  Get a regular H buffer it will do everything the Spikes does but cheaper and your not cheaping out.  If you really need a $95 charging handle go for but know for about half that price is a more than decent bcm with a great reputation.  

Point is there are ways do it less expensively without going to the bottom of the barrel.
View Quote
Good feedback. Thank you kind sir
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Check out Karris Guns. An AR pistol set up with a shockwave $529-579.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#8]
You have quite a list of "upgraded" parts there.  NiB bolt carrier, $30 safety lever, $95 charging handle, $100 trigger.  In general, manufacturers aren't going to make a product with upgraded or name brand parts like that, because they won't sell very well.  Not very many people want that specific set of parts.  

Specifically which parts of yours are light weight?  I see a skeletonized trigger.  Everything else just looks like a normal part to me.  I just did a 10.5" pistol build using only stuff that was on sale for memorial day.  Complete Aero M4E1 upper, SB brace, premuim MPI/HPT and chrome lined bolt carrier, anderson lower, transfer fee, standard lower parts, primary arms advanced red dot and magnifier and shipping for everything came out to under $900.  I think you could easily swap out some of your upgraded parts for what I bought and still come in a lot lower than your $1400.

$900 my total build
- $260 subtract my red dot and magnifier
- $75 subtract the tactical pistol brace
+ $70 get a NiB bolt carrier instead of the one i got
+ $95 your charging handle
+ $100 your trigger
+ $30 your safety lever
---------
$860

You still have $500 there worth of wiggle room to buy even lighter or shinier parts.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#9]
As I said ditch the Timney and buy the LaRue as it is on sale at the moment for $99
LaRue
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 for Andro Corp, I have two of their 10.5 pistol uppers and they've been impressive.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top