Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/2/2017 10:43:46 AM EDT
I am thinking about building a 7.5" 556 pistol and was wondering if its worth suppressing it. Also, whats the furthest you can shoot a 7.5" out to?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Most suppressor companies recommend a 10 inch barrel or longer to stabilize the bullet and avoid baffle strikes. I have been told that as long as you get one complete rotation (7 inches in a 1:7 twist) you *should* be safe. In the end I wasn't willing to risk my can on it. Honestly with the amount of gas you're going to get back, I don't even know if it would be pleasurable.

Distance wise, I have shot my 7.5 inch out to 200 yards reliably(longest distance conveniently available to me). I am sure the weapon can be pushed further.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#2]
That is my plan, so far the SiCo Saker is the only can I have found that is warrantied for a barrel that short.

From their site;

— Warrantied down to 7” barrels for
5.56mm NATO and .300 BLK, 12”
barrels for 7.62mm NATO, and 20”
barrels for magnum calibers.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Worth is going to be defined by the user and their intent. If the suppressor supports the barrel length then go with it. Whatever floats your boat and investment. 
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I've shot mine with a suppressor and it definitely makes a difference.

Never had an issue but I also used a 7.62 can.

Dave N
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:30:47 AM EDT
[#5]
That is my latest trail of thinking, 7.62 can I can use on all my rifles. I can't seem to find anyone listing how short of a 5.56 barrel you can use with a 7.62 can though. I guess with the bore size it shouldn't matter but it would be nice to know.  

What one are you using?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:32:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is my plan, so far the SiCo Saker is the only can I have found that is warrantied for a barrel that short.

From their site;

— Warrantied down to 7” barrels for
5.56mm NATO and .300 BLK, 12”
barrels for 7.62mm NATO, and 20”
barrels for magnum calibers.
View Quote
The OSS Elite 5.56 is as well, and no additional back-pressure to boot.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That is my latest trail of thinking, 7.62 can I can use on all my rifles. I can't seem to find anyone listing how short of a 5.56 barrel you can use with a 7.62 can though. I guess with the bore size it shouldn't matter but it would be nice to know.  

What one are you using?
View Quote
Dead Air Sandman S. Has no barrel length restrictions and is a 7.62 can.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Dead Air Sandman S. Has no barrel length restrictions and is a 7.62 can.
View Quote
Thanks!

I have been looking at the Saker, but I have a $200 coupon for silencer shop and they don't stock SiCo stuff anymore.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top