Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/27/2017 12:20:00 AM EDT
I have now started acquiring parts for a 300 BLK pistol build (because I really need it).  I ordered a Ballistic Advantage 300 BLK 10.3 Hanson Barrel from Monmouth Reloading.  This rifle will be mostly suppressed using subs, but I may want to try out some deer or hog hunting with it using supers.  Was this barrel a good choice, or should I have gone with the 8.3 in the same barrel?  Also, this is my  first 300 BLK AR.  Does anybody who runs this barrel have any advice on the rest of the setup i.e. handguard, buffer weight, etc.  I will have an AAC 762SD coming soon (hopefully).
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have now started acquiring parts for a 300 BLK pistol build (because I really need it).  I ordered a Ballistic Advantage 300 BLK 10.3 Hanson Barrel from Monmouth Reloading.  This rifle will be mostly suppressed using subs, but I may want to try out some deer or hog hunting with it using supers.  Was this barrel a good choice, or should I have gone with the 8.3 in the same barrel?  Also, this is my  first 300 BLK AR.  Does anybody who runs this barrel have any advice on the rest of the setup i.e. handguard, buffer weight, etc.  I will have an AAC 762SD coming soon (hopefully).
View Quote

I have the same barrel and it works great for me.  I'm running a standard carbine buffer and spring.  It cycles smoothly and deposits brass in a neat pile at 3:00 using supers, which is more consistent than most of my 5.56 guns.  There are tons of handguard options.  My favorite is the Diamondhead VRS-T.  However I decided to do something a little different on this build and went with a BA Gen2 from Mas Defense http://www.shop.masdefense.com/BA-GEN2-925-FREE-FLOAT-SLIM-HAND-GUARD-MID-LENGTH-BA2M.htm  I actually like it quite well for a non-branded free float handguard.  Their 9.75" version would come to the shoulder of the barrel threads if you want just the threaded section visible.  One day I hope to get a suppressor, but I will wait to see how that shakes out.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like my 8.5" even unsuppressed . If you are putting a can on it why would you go any longer than you have to?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really like my 8.5" even unsuppressed . If you are putting a can on it why would you go any longer than you have to?
View Quote
I wasn't sure if the 10.3 would be better with supers for hunting.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:57:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wasn't sure if the 10.3 would be better with supers for hunting.
View Quote
You are correct, it would be better.  

I have the barrel you're looking at, its nice. 110gr Vmax clocks 2300fps out of it.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top