Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2017 4:07:35 PM EDT
7.62x39 pistol with 11.5" barrel.

Recoil reduction and muzzle rise reduction are not important to me.

In order of importance, I want to reduce, from the shooter's point of view:

1) Noise
2) Flash
3) Concusion

I'm not interested in anything requiring a stamp. I'd prefer that the device be resonably small.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]
A2 FH

Or you could go for a linear comp or flash can.  A2 is simplest.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Interested in this as well. Using a VG6 Gamma currently and the blast is pretty brutal. Looking to trade for a Linear comp or FH.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Ferfrans crd
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
KAK flash can.  Lite weight, effective, pretty cheap too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I found an interesting test here:

http://www.vuurwapenblog.com/uncategorized/ar-15-muzzle-device-comparison/

Looks like the Blackout flash hider may be the best for my purposes that is available with a 1/2-36 thread
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The AAC Blackout does seem to look pretty good. Rather run that until I have my can's clear 11 months+ down the road. Thank's for the link.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
7.62x39 pistol with 11.5" barrel.

Recoil reduction and muzzle rise reduction are not important to me.

In order of importance, I want to reduce, from the shooter's point of view:

1) Noise
2) Flash
3) Concusion

I'm not interested in anything requiring a stamp. I'd prefer that the device be resonably small.
View Quote

You won't get all three......you MAY get two of the three.

1 & 3 are possible with a linear comp, but there will be a flash
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been pretty impressed with the Ruger factory short flash hider on my 12.5" AR in 5.56. I live where I can shoot at night in the yard and the Ruger seems to suppress flash better than the A1 or A2. Unfortunately  this is only from the shooters perspective and I haven't seen it being fired from the side. It's about the same as an A1 as far as noise and concussion according to my not-so-well tuned senses. It's main advantage is that it is approximately 1/8" shorter than a A1 birdcage and that it only cost $11.99.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I just run an A2 birdcage on my 11.5" 7.62x39.

A flashcan would probably do what the OP wants better than anything else but IMHO they're adding length & bulk to a build you're specifically trying to keep short & small. KAK has 'em cheap.

My 16" 7.62x39 has an Effin' A tuneable comp with all the top ports open and the sides closed to act like a comp'd pistol barrel. Was tempted to swap them but it's HEAVY and my 7.62x39 pistol build is already nose heavy as it is.

I did run a Levang Linear comp on a 5.56 build, it did a good job of keeping blast away from the shooter but it was also a pretty heavy device for it's size.

If weight isn't an issue I'd look at the KAW .308 linear comp for $60.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I run the cross machine and tool z linear comp on my .300blk. I am really impressed. It does everything including a little compensation.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#11]
For flash, get a phantom or vortex. For concussion, pick one of the can thingies. Personally I'd go FH. At the range, you'll put on ear protection. In a self defense situation, you'll get hearing damage even with a noise redirector (especially indoors, where,it'll just echo right back at you).
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:03:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a BRT on a 6.8,X39 and 300blk. It's very light and small for a linear comp.

Also have a couple Kineti-tech muzzle devices with shrouds and they are light too. They are a bit larger, but give you the option to remove the shroud when you want some attention from your neighbors...
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:17:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I found an interesting test here:

http://www.vuurwapenblog.com/uncategorized/ar-15-muzzle-device-comparison/

Looks like the Blackout flash hider may be the best for my purposes that is available with a 1/2-36 thread
View Quote
Troy makes a very similar flash hider:

Troy Three Prong flash hider

So does JPH enterprises - but, like the Surefire 3 prong suppressor, it's about twice as expensive as the competition:

JPH flash hider

Seekins Precisions also has an open ended 3 ring flash hider, with a slightly different take on the design:

Seeking Precision three prong flash hider

The Strike industries Venom flash hider is also a three prong open end design:

Strike Industries Venom flash hider

-----

Why mention all these?   Because they all perform about the same, and there just isn't much to choose between them other than price and styling.  Truth About Guns did a comparison and the three prong flash hiders all performed very well, with very similar numbers.   The CMMG Vortex flash hider is right in the mix with the three prong flash hiders noted above, but it's a very similar 4 prong, open end design.

TOG Flash Hider Shoot out

-----

None of this should be a real surprise as the original flash hider selected for the M16 was an open end three prong design.  It was replaced by the more well known bird cage flash hider due to the tendency for the open prongs to snag brush.  The design was after all tested and finalized during the Vietnam conflict where jungle warfare was common.

Personally, I'd just spend $12 on a replica 3 prong M16 flash hider and call it good.  They were known back in the day (as well as now) to be much more effective flash hiders than the birdcage flash hiders that replaced them.  It's the reason why 3 prong flash hiders are so prevalent - the above companies just introduced their own versions of an already known to be very effective design approach.

Three prong flash hider
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:14:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Troy makes a very similar flash hider:

Troy Three Prong flash hider

So does JPH enterprises - but, like the Surefire 3 prong suppressor, it's about twice as expensive as the competition:

JPH flash hider

Seekins Precisions also has an open ended 3 ring flash hider, with a slightly different take on the design:

Seeking Precision three prong flash hider

The Strike industries Venom flash hider is also a three prong open end design:

Strike Industries Venom flash hider

-----

Why mention all these?   Because they all perform about the same, and there just isn't much to choose between them other than price and styling.  Truth About Guns did a comparison and the three prong flash hiders all performed very well, with very similar numbers.   The CMMG Vortex flash hider is right in the mix with the three prong flash hiders noted above, but it's a very similar 4 prong, open end design.

TOG Flash Hider Shoot out

-----

None of this should be a real surprise as the original flash hider selected for the M16 was an open end three prong design.  It was replaced by the more well known bird cage flash hider due to the tendency for the open prongs to snag brush.  The design was after all tested and finalized during the Vietnam conflict where jungle warfare was common.

Personally, I'd just spend $12 on a replica 3 prong M16 flash hider and call it good.  They were known back in the day (as well as now) to be much more effective flash hiders than the birdcage flash hiders that replaced them.  It's the reason why 3 prong flash hiders are so prevalent - the above companies just introduced their own versions of an already known to be very effective design approach.

Three prong flash hider
View Quote
I would just get a replica 3 prong, but I can't find one with the 1/2-36 or 5/8-24 threads that the 7.62x39 barrels have.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top