Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2017 1:01:19 PM EDT
In the process of building an AR pistol, and am looking at these two manufacturers............those of you who have experience with these two, which would you choose?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
PSA because you can buy two for the price of one
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd go Spikes because they have a cool logo. All joking aside I wouldn't go with either of those companies for a upper I would trust my life to.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd go Spikes because they have a cool logo. All joking aside I wouldn't go with either of those companies for a upper I would trust my life to.
View Quote
why?...
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Only PSA on par with Spikes is the CHF but either will work fine
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Who would you go with?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The only PSA uppers I like are the premiums.

Have you looked at Aero Precision? 

I really like my M4E1 8" 300 blk upper.

Attachment Attached File

Plus they're cheap and free floated.

M4E1 uppers

Scroll down. Lots of options. Mine has been flawless past the first 35 rounds fired. Only about 1700 through it total though.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out Androcorp

http://androcorpind.com/
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

why?...
View Quote
Yeah, why?

I own a few Colts and SR15s.  I'd trust my life to my FN barrelled PSA uppers.

Oh, and both PSA and Spike's use the same FN barrels, only in different profiles.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I would trust my life to a freedom upper that i have vetted, several hundred rounds etc...It might not be a "match" grade barrel.  But out of my Ar-Pistols what i care about is Minute of Center of man accuracy....im happy with 2-3 MOA with bulk type XM193.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I have 4 PSA uppers. 3 are nitride Freedom uppers, the other is a PSA Premium with the chrome lined FN barrel.  I have nothing but good to say about all
of them,  they all are great shooters and have been super reliable.   The Premium upper with the FN barrel is the tack driver of the four as would be expected.  It runs about $100 more than the Freedom models.  Spikes is good stuff too, my PSA Premium upper is on a Spikes Punisher lower.

My first pistol build was with a 10.5 inch Freedom nitride lightweight 5.56 upper, finished it a few weeks ago, great shooter!
[/img]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have 3 PSA uppers. 2 are nitride Freedom uppers, the other is a PSA Premium with the chrome lined FN barrel.  I have nothing but good to say about all
of them,  they all are great shooters and have been super reliable.   The Premium upper with the FN barrel is the tack driver of the three as would be expected.  It runs about $100 more than the Freedom models.  Spikes is good stuff too, my PSA Premium upper is on a Spikes Punisher lower.
View Quote
^^...only PSA upper i have had personal bad experience with is a PTAC upper my roomate had, not because it didn't run it just didn't group how i would like  He has exclusively run Tula through it lol.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Tula is probably the shittiest .223 ammo out there.   I wouldn't judge any brand barrels accuracy with that stuff.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the replies..............this is the one I was considering:

PSA Upper

and this one:

PSA 7 inch upper

As for Spikes, I was also looking at this one:

Spikes Upper
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Nothing at all wrong with PSA, they have great stuff, especially for the price. Spikes is good stuff too, but the only thing I have from Spikes is a stripped lower, but it does have a PSA parts kit in it. My complete PSA rifle has been flawless, even though I don't have many rounds through it, it's still very nice. I also second the recommendation for Androcorp, they are top notch!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

PSA Upper

and this one:

PSA 7 inch upper

Spikes Upper
View Quote
I personally would say the 10.5" PSA. This same upper is actually arriving to me today.  I am sending back an 8.5" Nitride upper today. The 8.5" shot really well, but the terminal ballistics for 5.56" out of anything shorter than a 10.5" are not good.  Just not enough velocity.  I have a 6 year old PSA Premium M4, which has the same barrel as the 10.5" just in a 16" layout, and that rifle has been nothing but rock solid.  Only thing I changed was to put in a BCM H2 buffer, which will also be in my 10.5" pistol.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I personally would say the 10.5" PSA. This same upper is actually arriving to me today.  I am sending back an 8.5" Nitride upper today. The 8.5" shot really well, but the terminal ballistics for 5.56" out of anything shorter than a 10.5" are not good.  Just not enough velocity.  I have a 6 year old PSA Premium M4, which has the same barrel as the 10.5" just in a 16" layout, and that rifle has been nothing but rock solid.  Only thing I changed was to put in a BCM H2 buffer, which will also be in my 10.5" pistol.
View Quote
+1 on the CHF PSA upper.  I have the 10.5 CHF with the Fixed sight base for my trunk "pistol" and I love it.  Great quality.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I have 5 PSA uppers and have nothing bad to say about any of them. I'd trust my life to all of them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the replies...... I really like the PSA premium upper with flash can..... I had settled on the 10.5 inch barrel after reading up on the ballistics..... now to find either a complete or stripped pistol lower for a build
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies...... I really like the PSA premium upper with flash can..... I had settled on the 10.5 inch barrel after reading up on the ballistics..... now to find either a complete or stripped pistol lower for a build
View Quote
Check out Anderson Manufacturing. Their lowers are good and you can buy one with just the lower parts kit installed for $100. Just need to add your buffer tube and stock as far as I can tell.  Of course the PSA complete lowers are not bad at all.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

PSA Upper

and this one:

PSA 7 inch upper

Spikes Upper
View Quote
I just went through a similar decision. I waited a week or two for the upper in the first link (PSA Premium) to come back in stock. In that time I found the Andro Corp uppers that were all the rage here in the forum. After a lot of research I decided to go with Andro 10.5 upper for a few reasons.

While I love the way the PSA looked with the 12" slant rail and can...I had concerns about the overall length (I am building the pistol to be compact after all) of the 12" rails + the longer KAK can (roughly 13.5"). What if you dont like the can? You cant just put any flash hider on there. It has to be pretty much be a can style/pig because the end of the bbl is burried inside the rail. This severely limits your options for a muzzle device (if you dont want to change to a smaller rail.)

Lastly, the shipping for PSA is well documented and can take weeks even for in stock items. After exchanging a few emails with Jason at Andro, I ordered the upper on Friday afternoon....it arrived TODAY (Monday) at my house! That is insanely fast shipping. Might consider giving them a look if you are still open to other uppers..

Here is the Andro ad.

Here is the upper that I chose.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I just went through a similar decision. I waited a week or two for the upper in the first link (PSA Premium) to come back in stock. In that time I found the Andro Corp uppers that were all the rage here in the forum. After a lot of research I decided to go with Andro 10.5 upper for a few reasons.

While I love the way the PSA looked with the 12" slant rail and can...I had concerns about the overall length (I am building the pistol to be compact after all) of the 12" rails + the longer KAK can (roughly 13.5"). What if you dont like the can? You cant just put any flash hider on there. It has to be pretty much be a can style/pig because the end of the bbl is burried inside the rail. This severely limits your options for a muzzle device (if you dont want to change to a smaller rail.)

Lastly, the shipping for PSA is well documented and can take weeks even for in stock items. After exchanging a few emails with Jason at Andro, I ordered the upper on Friday afternoon....it arrived TODAY (Monday) at my house! That is insanely fast shipping. Might consider giving them a look if you are still open to other uppers..

Here is the Andro ad.

Here is the upper that I chose.
View Quote
I am also looking at that upper...........I hear good things about Andro uppers, so I will check them too
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#22]
The last two PSA uppers I ordered were delivered 2 days after I ordered them. Of course I'm only 2 1/2 hours from PSA so delivery is a little quicker.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Get the 10.5 CHF premium from PSA. I've had my eye one that upper for a long time but I always end using the funds for something else. I have two other PSA uppers with FN barrels and I can't say enough good things about them. Ill have that upper someday.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:37:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes, I have a PSA pistol with a 7.5" SS barrel. Zero malfunctions accurate as far as I care to shoot it. Remeber we are talking pistols not 18" match grade rifles, yep have one of those also.  The rifle is for reaching out, the short pistol is for pistol work, close in and it's very handy to store in my car and use in close quarters.

Like any "tool" their is the right one for the job, pliers or box wrench .................

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Took my PSA 10.5" out to the range last week and zeroed my RDS at 50 yds with Black Hills M262 ammo.  This is the Premium one talked about in this thread; FN made barrel, CHF and CL.  After getting a full mag through it, then swabbing the barrel, I got to zeroing the optic.

I have a BCM BCG and BCM H2 buffer in the pistol, other than that it is all PSA.  This is the smoothest running gun I have now, and it is stupid accurate actually. It was just driving tacks at 50 yds with ease.  Was able to hit 10" steel at 200 yds as well fairly easy, which is the max I would care to use it at.

it is a great upper for the price.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#26]
If both where the same price get the Spikes, their products are more consistent. Just a note PSA uses FN for all of their CHF and CMV 4150 barrels, so either is a great choice. Another good option is watching the EE for a low round count Colt upper for a 10.5 or a BCM 11.5 for around the same as a new PSA rig.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If both where the same price get the Spikes, their products are more consistent. Just a note PSA uses FN for all of their CHF and CMV 4150 barrels, so either is a great choice. Another good option is watching the EE for a low round count Colt upper for a 10.5 or a BCM 11.5 for around the same as a new PSA rig.
View Quote
Open to all options at the moment...............I am even looking at the Andro and Aero uppers as well
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I had my eye on that PSA 10.5 CHF upper for a while.  Turns out right when it went on sale, aero precision had their entire site 15% off.  I ended up with the Aero Precision one for like 20% less than the PSA.  

The aero ones don't come with a CHF barrel, but it's still a ballistic advantage one.  They have a great reputation.  The aero one does, however, have a much better mounting for the handguard.  And the aero handguard is significantly wider than PSA's.

As far as trusting my life to it, I own 2 aero precision rifles and 8ish PSA ones.  They are all reliable.  I wouldn't trust any without getting to the range and running a few boxes of ammo through it.  Any manufacturer can and has produced an occasional lemon.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
This one cracks me up every time.  Three reasons:

1) An AR pistol is generally not my first choice for firearm that "I would trust my life to".

2) Realistically, despite all the drama and posturing, over 99.99% percent of the ARs that are built are never going to be used in a true defensive or offensive situation.

3) Within reasonable limits, parts are parts, and provided the parts are within reasonable tolerances an AR-15 is going to work just fine, provided it's given reasonable care and fed decent ammunition.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I see PSA has an upper that has the Geissele rail and super gas block..... any experience with these gas blocks?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Take a look at JSE Surplus. They have a lot of upper options with custom set ups. I have got 2 AR pistol uppers from them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm really happy with my Spikes 8" CHF pistol. Shoots really well for an 8", first time out I was shocked at the accuracy, as I wasn't expecting much. I don't really shoot it for groups, it's just a fun range toy, but I can hit anything I point it at within 50 yds.  I haven't gone past that, but I'd be willing to bet it would surprise me at 100. The barking spider muzzle attachment is much more than looks, too.  It is a pleasure to shoot, very minimal flash (almost unnoticeable indoors) and stays flat.

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, after looking at all the options I went with a 10.5 Andro upper with MLok rail......
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Spikes all day long, because they have decent quality, they have good quality control, and decent customer service.

With PSA, you're much much more likely to actually need customer service, but they barely have it.

ETA: Congrats on Andro, I guess. Never delt with them. I think their CS and QC is better than PSA most likely, so you're doing better than you could have been.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Check out Androcorp

http://androcorpind.com/
View Quote
This. Go to their industry page and you'll get a fat discount i if you're looking for a 10.5.
I honestly can't give an actual review because mine isn't coming in till tomorrow.  The fact that their 10.3 uses ballistic advantage barrels with properly sized gas ports for 5.56 is a huge plus for me.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#36]
I wouldnt trust my life to a PSA product either, due to false advertising.

You get on their website and order the upper  with the Chrome lined CHF barrel from FN, pay and wait......a week later you get the box from the mailman, slice it open, pull the upper out and examine it only to find that its got a nitrided non CHF barrel from wilson on it.

Happened to me a couple years back, its long since been rectified, but its enough to put me off PSA......if they can engage in that kind of shady shit, they can also engage in corner cutting on their guns.....
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Last PSA upper I got had a canted front sight base. They have been screwing these up for five or six years. I did get the upper replaced, but it took a few weeks. I would seek out another company. While I do own a spikes lower, i would not buy another.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Last PSA upper I got had a canted front sight base. They have been screwing these up for five or six years. I did get the upper replaced, but it took a few weeks. I would seek out another company. While I do own a spikes lower, i would not buy another.
View Quote
Got an Andro upper...............I like it a lot. The lower is a PSA, but it is nice as well
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I wouldnt trust my life to a PSA product either, due to false advertising.

You get on their website and order the upper  with the Chrome lined CHF barrel from FN, pay and wait......a week later you get the box from the mailman, slice it open, pull the upper out and examine it only to find that its got a nitrided non CHF barrel from wilson on it.

Happened to me a couple years back, its long since been rectified, but its enough to put me off PSA......if they can engage in that kind of shady shit, they can also engage in corner cutting on their guns.....
View Quote
with all due respect that's ridiculous. Someone at the factory made a mistake in either assembly, or in putting the label on the box. They didn't maniacally twirl their mustaches and stick slick black nitride barreled uppers into the box and carve out "FN" on the barrel to sneak it by anyone. The only diff between the CHF/Premium and the Freedom Nitride line is the barrel. The same uppers, the same barrel nuts, the same rails etc. Someone grabbed the wrong one, or a got a label slapped on the side wrong and it was rectified by them (by your own admission). I don't see any sleaziness there. I see a company who goofed up and made it right. It happens

I have THREE PSA rifles I've built and all have been dead on reliable (I used all PSA parts except for the bolt which I got straight up Toolcraft from Wcarmory or the nitride ones from Monmouth). I'd trust my life to them any day of the week. they just SHOOT. One of them is my FN barrelled CHF upper, another is a freedom nitride pencil barrel for the wife, and the newest is another freedom line barrel. all run like raped apes without a hitch (besides one, and that was MY fault by using out of spec reloads)
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#40]
to the OP... I'd choose PSA over Spikes. Not because Spikes isn't GTF, but like BCM they've priced themselves on the higher end of the market in a downturn for the AR world. Spikes really isn't much better than PSA in all reality, and they're twice the price. PSA, Aero Precision or the like are what I'd choose in today's market unless Spikes starts doing some fat discounts.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I got a 10.5 nitride palmetto upper with bcg for 200$ during a weekend deal, replaced the plastic guard with a kac ras and it shoots perfect, 0 issues in the few hundred rounds ive put through it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:18:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I went Spikes.

Spikes 10.5" upper

Spikes Crusader lower

Troy carbine rail

KAC 600m BUIS

Aimpoint PRO

KAK Shockwave Blade
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I personally would say the 10.5" PSA. This same upper is actually arriving to me today. I am sending back an 8.5" Nitride upper today. The 8.5" shot really well, but the terminal ballistics for 5.56" out of anything shorter than a 10.5" are not good.  Just not enough velocity.  I have a 6 year old PSA Premium M4, which has the same barrel as the 10.5" just in a 16" layout, and that rifle has been nothing but rock solid.  Only thing I changed was to put in a BCM H2 buffer, which will also be in my 10.5" pistol.
View Quote
They're letting you return an upper you shot?

OP, you did well with the Andro.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

PSA Upper

and this one:

PSA 7 inch upper

Spikes Upper
View Quote
Be careful with that PSA 7" upper - a friend and I are both returning ours for repair. Accuracy at 50 yards with several different types of ammo was 20 MOA+. When we took them home and cleaned them, copper rings fell out of both chambers. There is something out of spec with the chamber on both of our uppers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Had a PSA 10.5" pretty much as linked, buddy had the spikes 11.5 chf factory built upper.  Both shoot great, we ended swapping/trading uppers as he wanted the shorter and I wanted the longer, both of us are happy.  PSA is generally a better priced upper but quailty bwtn the two about the same.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top