Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/19/2017 8:09:32 PM EDT
I know it's a redneck solution, but I'm planning on SBRing at least one of the two pistols and thought I'd ask the question.  Basically, I want to know the best material and/or method for covering a regular carbine buffer tube for me to use on a pistol.  I've seen the paracord wraps, but don't get it, as that stuff is not a whole lot more comfortable on your face while shooting than a regular aluminum tube.

I was thinking some sort of pipe insulation wrapped with tennis racket handle or golf club type tape/wrap.

For those who have done it, what did you use?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd just use a foam tube sleeve and cut it down the bottom/middle for the carbine tube.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
What foam sleeve, size and material, did you use? Do they sell sleeves specifically for this application, using regular tubes with the rail for the buttstocks?

If you think about it, it only needs to be padded on the top side, where you'll be placing your face.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd just use a foam tube sleeve and cut it down the bottom/middle for the carbine tube.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Once I used Black Heat Shrink Tubing, Worked great. I got it at an electrical supply.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a rake once with a black closed cell foam tube on the handle.   It "donated" about 4" for my buffer tube - before I went with a brace.

As for the paracord option, it actually is a lot more comfortable than the bare buffer tube - if you happen to live in the frozen north, because that bare aluminum tube conducts heat away from your face very efficiently.   In fact, it's even more comfortable than a plastic stock when the temp is near zero.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:59:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I use foam grips used on gym equipment on a pistol tube. If you got a larger diameter it might fit over a carbine tube.
Foam grips
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I used this self adhesive archery bow shelf cover sold in sheets about 3/4 size of printing paper, it has little fuzz is thin and will cover two tubes
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#7]
The grips for the gym equipment are a great idea, they're usually comfortable and durable.  I've used moleskin to quiet arrow rests, but my experience was they needed constant replacement (maybe there are better materials these days; I haven't bow hunted in years).

Thanks again for the suggestions!

ETA, DakotaFAL, I can see how the paracord isolates the aluminum tube from the cold; hadn't thought of that.  Very nice Model 66, btw.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I used the same Exile tube cover listed above on a regular carbine buffer tube, it fits fine and was no harder to install on the carbine buffer tube as a pistol tube.

Very comfortable and stays put, and covers the whole raised M4 stock rib/ridge so no gaps in front.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Adhesive pipe insulator.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used the same Exile tube cover listed above on a regular carbine buffer tube, it fits fine and was no harder to install on the carbine buffer tube as a pistol tube.

Very comfortable and stays put, and covers the whole raised M4 stock rib/ridge so no gaps in front.
View Quote
When I had an exile cover, I had a thick rubber grommet in the bottom of it for some extra cushion.  Worked great.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Not the cheapest method but I really like the combination of the Thordsen buffer tube cover and CAA SST1 saddle cheek piece.
The Thordsen buffer tube cover (basic) is right at $27.00 from Thordsen Thorsen buffer tube cover kit
Thordsen offers and enhanced buffer tube cover kit that is longer and adds a push button sling attachment point just behind the castle nut for $37.00

The CAA SST1 costs around $20.00 CAA's website link bought mine from amazon.

This is what it looks like:

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top