Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/10/2017 11:17:37 PM EDT
Hello,
I am building my 1st AR and am very excited. I have purchased most of my items from my local gun shop in OR. Super cool and funny dude. Plus I like to support local business as much as I can.
To the point I would like some feedback on my purchases from others. Pardon any "stupid" or "noob" questions I have. I grew up with hunting rifles and revolvers for most of my life and have recently branched out.

Parts that I have purchased so far include:
Anderson Arms lower parts kit-$46.50 (gun show)
Spikes Honey Badger lower-$109 (Local gun Shop)
Spikes forged m4 upper-Cant remember price, wanted something that would marry well with my lower (Local gun Shop)
Spikes/FN 5.56 11.5" CHF SAW barrel-$233 (Bud's Gun shop)
SBV pistol brace $120 (Local gun Shop)
J&T buffer tube w/spring & buffer-wanna say $40 (Local gun Shop)
Ergo Grip- $6 (Ebay ftw)
Cheap aluminum extended trigger guard with small bolts instead of pins-$6(Ebay again)
SLR Rifleworks SOLO 10.7" Intrepid Series Keymod Handguard
CMMG Gas tube
BCM low pro Gas block
Sure Fire Warcomp
Sure Fire Warden Blast Diffuser

Items I am looking at getting:
Spike 37mm Havoc(maybe)
Trigger: BCM or ALG-ACT (looking for a single stage)
BCM bolt carrier group
BCM Ambi Charging handle
Glass (eventually)

Once again, please be fair and nice lol. I am a complete noob to AR's and looking to learn. Also if anyone has an idea of what model I am building that would be helpful(I feel like there are 1000's of different styles when reading the forums)

Thanks,
CountryBoy
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:12:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome fellow Oregonian!

Looks like you have a pretty good build list going.

For gas blocks I stay with simple low profile steel gas blocks.  If the barrel comes drilled and pinned with a gas block, I use the one included.  I stay away from aluminum gas blocks.  Gas tubes are pretty straight forward, but lately I have been liking nitrided gas tubes.  No real performance difference, I just prefer the black of nitriding to the shiny bare stainless.

I've used A2 flash hiders, Seekins Precision flash hiders, and the KAK Slim Flash Can.  All have worked well.  I've shot my brothers 9mm and 5.56 AR's with muzzle brakes.  Personally I don't like muzzle brakes, or shooting next to muzzle brakes.  It is personal preference but the concussion from a brake gets annoying after a while and can be even worse in a shorter barrel or enclosed spaces.  On my 10" 300 Blackout pistol I use the KAK flash can and it works well in diverting flash and concussion down range.

Some build to replicate a military rifle.  Some build a rifle out of spare parts.  There probably a million different combinations in the AR world.  That's half the fun and why the AR has earned the nickname "barbies for men".
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi,
welcome to the forum. You're putting toghether a nice rifle.
For the trigger there arte a lot of good choices out there. I could suggest you to have a look to the ALG ACT or if you want to spend some more to a Geissele G2S. It's the geissele entry level but worth the money. It also depends on what's your rifle purpose (range fun, hd or else...)
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks all for the replies!
Helpful info!
You guys have any experience with the parts that I am using so far?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The parts you've spec'd so far are from good quality manufacturers, so you have a solid foundation.  It should make for a reliable build.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#5]
If, due to price, you have to choose between
a) bcm bcg & alg trigger & bcm charging handle
Or
b) toolcraft/psa premium/aim bcg & Geissele trigger & milspec charging handle

Take option B and don't look back.  Getting a good trigger is totally worth it and there are a lot of quality bcg out there.

Hell, I would say to but the psa daily deal that is their premium bcg and 10 mags for 129.  That is a crazy deal.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Well my 1st AR is complete(ish)
Spikes Honey Badger lower
Spikes forged m4 upper
BCM PCT Trigger
BCM Charging handle
BCM Bolt Carrier
Spikes/FN 5.56 11.5" CHF SAW m249 barrel
Ergo Grip
SLR Rifleworks SOLO 10.7" Intrepid Series Keymod Handguard
CMMG Gas tube
BCM low pro Gas block
Sure Fire Warcomp
Sure Fire Warden Blast Diffuser
Magpul AFG

And
SBV pistol brace
J&T buffer tube w/spring & buffer
I hate the current pistol brace as it turns and does not stay lined up with receiver.
Getting Maxim Defense pistol brace, buffer, and tube when money allows.
Also a red dot as it is my home defense/truck gun.

https://ibb.co/cN4NVF
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top