BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Stop being a cheap ass. You want an SBR follow the process and you have complete peace of mind.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I am pretty sure most people have AR pistol due to other reasons than the $200.

I have 2 pistols as well as 2 SBRs. Nothing to s
do with the stamp cost.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stop being a cheap ass. You want an SBR follow the process and you have complete peace of mind.
View Quote
I can't carry a SBR under my CCL in a vehicle.

Pistols also have state pre-emption against any municipal or county ordinances in my state.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a SBR.. Can't take it across state lines unless I ask Permission

I also have a Pistol with a brace... I can take it across the state lines without any permission
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
SBR's are not options for many across the country and for those that can have them, maybe they don't want to have to fill out a form to go out of state.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just curious all this hand wringing about ATF agents seeing you shoulder a brace.  How many have you ran into on the regular to have this fear?  I've personally never saw one anywhere I was shooting, ever
View Quote
Where I regularly shoot, I have never run into any, I have seen them at shows I have worked at in the past, which is why I do what I want and keep quiet about, only a few people get invited to shoot on my home range.

I am glad I live where I do, because I don't have to go to an organized range and worry about it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What people don't seem to understand, it does not matter what you think your intent is or was, it will be up to the BATF to determine and define what your intent was, that could be ignored by a dozen different agents and then the lucking number 13 gets a wild hair up his/her ass and says, this was your intent and we are going to arrest and prosecute you for your intent.

Every single agent in the BATF has the flexibility to define what they believe what you intended to do and even if you win your case, you will have to fight for your property what ever it costs to defend your actions.

I just don't understand why so many have to keep pushing up against the wall so hard?  Just do what you are going to do and be quiet.

Christ.

View Quote
yep, first rule to any good police state is to make laws ambiguous so you can always find a reason to arrest someone.  Although the driver for all of this was pushing the rules to begin.  You won't go to jail, but you will spend $20k on a lawyer.  

I am surprised ATF's first position in all of this wasn't to require some sort of doctor's note claiming an impairment to even allow you to own one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Just curious all this hand wringing about ATF agents seeing you shoulder a brace.  How many have you ran into on the regular to have this fear?  I've personally never saw one anywhere I was shooting, ever
View Quote
They are intermittently @ the shows.  Some are sharp, some are ignorant.  Apparently last year @ one of the big shows they hassled a guy who had a 16" bbl on his AR pistol.  I've heard they show up @ reenactments as well & check M1919 sideplates.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#9]
it would be so much easier to either get rid of the 16 inch barrel rule or just make a specific length of a pistol where its just not considered concealable any longer and throw the stock or brace rules out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#10]
1 Don't modify the Brace, whatever brand you have!
2 Don't use the weapon in a crime!
3 Don't write any more silly letters to the ATF!
4 Go to the range and legally enjoy whatever brace you own!
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What's the purpose of these?
View Quote
To make it more comfy against the shoulder, of course. For the 99.999% of folks who bought the Shockwave to fire from the shoulder in the first place.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What's the purpose of these?
View Quote
Really?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Have you you seen this post in Shockwave's home page?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384761/IMG-0518-195843.JPG
View Quote
Yes, and I commented asking if they had asked the ATF agent whether it was OK or not to purposefully stick the brace into your shoulder and with intent to use it as a shoulder stock... didn't look like they approved my comment.

If they don't ask the ATF the specifics because they're afraid of the answer they're gonna get, someone else will. And it's not gonna be pretty when the next "clarification" sees the light of day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes, and I commented asking if they had asked the ATF agent whether it was OK or not to purposefully stick the brace into your shoulder and with intent to use it as a shoulder stock... didn't look like they approved my comment.

If they don't ask the ATF the specifics because they're afraid of the answer they're gonna get, someone else will. And it's not gonna be pretty when the next "clarification" sees the light of day.
View Quote
The part that bothered me was the "being on the phone all day."  Guarantee people are writing letters too.  I agree with you...we'll see another clarification letter from the ATF.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The part that bothered me was the "being on the phone all day."  Guarantee people are writing letters too.  I agree with you...we'll see another clarification letter from the ATF.
View Quote
They're going to have to, because we can't rely on the brace manufacturers to ask the questions that may/may not put their business in jeopardy. The letter that SB tactical's legal team sent was probably articulated in a way to get this ambiguous response from the ATF, to where now the ATF is using words like "Incidental", "sporadic" and "Situational" to describe using a brace against the shoulder. They're most likely doing what's going to benefit their bottom dollar - not what's going to keep us, their customers, out of federal prison. The fact that they jumped the gun and told everyone upfront on their facebook that only SB tactical braces are allowed, goes to show they're clearly ready to exaggerate the facts for their own benefit. Don't you think they'd be willing to exaggerate the facts on the legality as well?

I'm not shouldering my brace, not until we get a clear answer that says something like "you can stick the brace to your shoulder and shoot your pistol while having the intent to use the brace as a shoulder stock". The word "incidental" is too ambiguous, for me anyways, to feel comfortable using in a legal defense. I wasn't even considering the fact that the letter is your "legal defense" until the attorney brought it up... do you really want such ambiguous language that could also support the prosecution being your sole document in court?

The biggest thing that is alarming in this whole fiasco is that the gun blogs do not bother to question the legitimacy, and literally had articles written, edited and published within not even an hour of SBT posting their blog post. Not only that but several repeated and added emphasis that only SB Tactical braces were addressed within the letter, and still haven't issued corrections after the facts have come to light. Something's very fishy about all of this...
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can we bring our Shockwave blades to USPSA PCC now?
View Quote
Maybe. You didn't intend to shoulder it but you got so caught up in the excitement of the moment that you didn't realize you where shouldering the brace!
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I was pretty excited when I saw the shockwave industries website today.

Curious to see when or if another letter comes out
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384761/IMG-0518-195843.JPG
View Quote
Well, the 13.5" "length of pull" thing is pretty bizarre wrinkle. Note that any number of rifles have a 12-13 LOP.

Of course, we have only a reported phone call conversation with some unidentified gummit functionary relegated to phone duty, but I guess that's rock solid.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe you should write some letters to clarify all this? /s
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#22]
As a pistol owner,  please don't write any more stupid letters to the ATF about braces.  Manufactures will get a clarification letter from the ATF for their products, because every paranoid tin foil hatter will go buy SB braces.  All the other companies still want to sell products, and will get the clarification letters for their products, or else they will loose sales.  Please don't make this any harder for us gun owners.  The ATF got thousands of letters before, so they said no shouldering to get the letters to stop.  Don't screw this up for a second time.

Liberty or Death
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:05:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
it would be so much easier to either get rid of the 16 inch barrel rule or just make a specific length of a pistol where its just not considered concealable any longer and throw the stock or brace rules out.
View Quote
yep, ditching the 16" barrel and keeping the 26" OAL would be too technical for most people to notice and would go a long way to making most SBRs legal without NFA paperwork.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:05:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I just measured the length of pull on my pistol and it is 10.5".  So I guess I am good, however I have no intention of intentionally shouldering.  I find the cheek weld position to work great and tactically it works even better as you can follow your eye and head movements instantly without contorting your body unnaturally as you have to do when shouldering a SBR or regular rifle/carbine.

Regardless of the letter, which it obviously states that incidental type shouldering is not pound me in the ass prison illegal, it still appears illegal to intentionally use a pistol as a short barrel rifle.  So consistent shouldering or any modifications to make it a shoulder fired weapon could be entering a world of hurt zone.  Don't act stupid and you will be all right.  Just remember the range nazi's will be your worst enemy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:10:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm taking my pistols out this weekend
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:24:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

Imma take a couple these out to the range this weekend too.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:43:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm not good with big words. Can anyone sum it up for me. ? Can I legally shoulder my pistol with a kak brace?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm not good with big words. Can anyone sum it up for me. ? Can I legally shoulder my pistol with a kak brace?
View Quote
Don't build your pistol and brace with intent to shoulder it
Don't alter your brace from it's retail design
Don't brag about how you can legally shoulder your pistol/brace now
Don't write/call the ATF
Shoot it how you want
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:51:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe.

I hope that clears things up for you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I just sent in my payment for my sbr stamp. Do you guys know who I can get in contact with to get a refund?

Kidding. I find this thread funny
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Don't build your pistol and brace with intent to shoulder it
Don't alter your brace from it's retail design
Don't brag about how you can legally shoulder your pistol/brace now
Don't write/call the ATF
Shoot it how you want
View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't understand all this between pistols and SBR's.  

I have a SBR lower.  I also have a pistol lower that I can use if I want to carry it loaded in my car as a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don't understand all this between pistols and SBR's.  

I have a SBR lower.  I also have a pistol lower that I can use if I want to carry it loaded in my car as a pistol.  
View Quote
Come man, it is like raising kids, some kids just have to push the boundary to see how far they can actually get..  Problem is with this issue, you could end up paying a big fine and spending a long time in club Fed!

Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Come man, it is like raising kids, some kids just have to push the boundary to see how far they can actually get..  Problem is with this issue, you could end up paying a big fine and spending a long time in club Fed!

View Quote
Has anyone been charged with the manufacture of a SBR via shouldering a brace?  I'm legitimately asking because I haven't seen any stories just a lot of hand wringing overly concerned people saying it can happen.  I could see being over the top and being made an example out of, but has anyone been picked up by a fed, state or local for shouldering a brace?  Obviously the local or state le would have to forward the case for fed prosecution.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Has anyone been charged with the manufacture of a SBR via shouldering a brace?  ...
View Quote
No. Would have been big news in firearm community, everyone would know.

BTW, nobody has ever been convicted of AOW offense because of a VFG on a handgun either. Once tried as an add-on charge, but dropped by gummit after pretrial opinion.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:41:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
1 Don't modify the Brace, whatever brand you have!
2 Don't use the weapon in a crime!
3 Don't write any more silly letters to the ATF!
4 Go to the range and legally enjoy whatever brace you own!
View Quote
This. I don't think anything has changed since this brace craze started.

If one was unlucky enough to be shooting a braced gun from the shoulder with the strap holding a spare mag next to an ATF agent while bragging about how no tax stamp or registration was needed it may be a different story.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#37]

I just finished this, need to test it this weekend.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Congress has passed no law against shouldering a pistol with an arm brace. The ATF is worthless. They are worse than ISIS.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:  Congress has passed no law against shouldering a pistol with an arm brace. The ATF is worthless. They are worse than ISIS.
View Quote
Er - one organization executes people regularly, and wages war on Iraq and Syria; the other sets up the FBI to shoot pregnant women and burn children to death, and supplies firearms to Mexican cartels.  I don't think BATFE is in the Islamic State's league, no matter how badass they'd like to be.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You can say fuck that all you want, it is not going to change the current state of affairs, you get a agent with a wild hair up their ass, they are going to make life painful for you.

The BATF makes determinations based on the laws that were wrote a long time ago, by people they don't even know and never will, so saying fuck that, changes nothing.

That is why the BATF needs a complete overhaul, they are a rule determination agency, they don't make laws, they interpret law, any god damn way they want to.

Don't take that as I am disagreeing with you, I just happen to know the facts of life as they currently exist.
View Quote
Dave they do indeed make laws, it's called administrative law. The "rules" they make are in fact administrative law and carry the same weight as any law made any other way.
They did not make the NFA, congress did, but as the administrative agency are the ones tasked to administrate it and make the rules (laws) to do such.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just got off the phone with a 2A attorney, he runs a somewhat prolific blog on the side and says he's gonna write about this very soon. He says the language used doesn't clearly state that it is legal to intentionally use a brace as a shoulder stock. He said it looks like by their use of "incidental" on the 3rd page that under ATF opinion if you accidentally were to shoulder it unintentionally, you wouldn't be in possession of an illegal SBR, but there's nothing in the letter to suggest that an intentional use of a brace for no other purpose than as a shoulder stock is legal.

He did find it very interesting that SB tactical and several other gun blogs called this a "reversal" and he noted that the ATF is not a legislative body and they can't change the law under any circumstance. In conclusion, he said all he would draw from the letter are these two things: It's illegal just to modify a brace and stick it on your pistol, as it turns it into an illegal SBR. And secondly, if you "incidentally" shoulder the pistol brace unintentionally, that doesn't count as a "redesign" according to the letter. He told me I probably shouldn't shoulder my brace until ATF at least clarifies what they mean by all this, because it would be a tough defense to bring up that letter in court. Ambiguity of the law is the last thing you want in a legal defense, apparently.

If/when he writes about this I'll link it here. It didn't sound like I was the first one to call him today about this lol.
View Quote
Ambiguity of a law is exactly what you want in a legal defense. Ambiguity forces the court to rule according to the Rule of Lenity which requires that statutory ambiguities are to be resolves in favor of the criminal defendant.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Dave they do indeed make laws, it's called administrative law. The "rules" they make are in fact administrative law and carry the same weight as any law made any other way.
They did not make the NFA, congress did, but as the administrative agency are the ones tasked to administrate it and make the rules (laws) to do such.
View Quote
Talk about splitting hairs...

Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No. Would have been big news in firearm community, everyone would know.

BTW, nobody has ever been convicted of AOW offense because of a VFG on a handgun either. Once tried as an add-on charge, but dropped by gummit after pretrial opinion.

- OS
View Quote
Sort of what I thought.  Meh seems like a non issue either way.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Maybe it is intended to stop the plastic from sliding on a floor... Isn't a cane tip legal?
View Quote
Well played!  Putting an inner sole in your shoe make it a non shoe?  Makes as much sense.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Er - one organization executes people regularly, and wages war on Iraq and Syria; the other sets up the FBI to shoot pregnant women and burn children to death, and supplies firearms to Mexican cartels.  I don't think BATFE is in the Islamic State's league, no matter how badass they'd like to be.
View Quote
All true but who has the greater chance of effecting your life and compromising our freedom? ISIS wants to control our way of life and impose unconstitutional laws on us. The ATF is doing that right now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:  All true but who has the greater chance of effecting your life and compromising our freedom? ISIS wants to control our way of life and impose unconstitutional laws on us. The ATF is doing that right now.
View Quote
Sadly, the NFA has been upheld by the Supreme Court as Constitutional.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Wait, wasn't that April 1st??  

I long for the day when I can shoulder my shockwave "brace" in public and when I no longer have to pay a tax just to shoot a SBR.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#49]
OK, so I didn't read all of the posts, and I doubt if there is an actual answer, but......
the letter says, if someone takes steps to permanently affix brace to a buffer tube, creating a length that has no other purpose than to be used as a stock.
If the brace can still slide off and on, I would take that as not permanently attached. Or is this the variable position braces?
And what is a "length that no other purpose than to facilitate it's use as a stock"? Does this go back to "permanently attached", or is there a length for any brace/buffer tube that should not be exceeded?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Range Nazi.....  

When asking about your "pistol" with the brace.  "Is that a stamped SBR?"  Why yes, yes it is.  Are you an ATF agent?  No?  Then fuck off.

The fact is, most of the idiots at the gun range wouldn't know what they are looking at IF you did show them a tax stamp.  The non idiots mind their own business so you don't have to worry about them.  Anyone asking about this is 99.9% some know it all fuck stick who thinks he is saving you from yourself with vast knowledge of gun law.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top