Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/11/2017 12:38:35 PM EDT
I know to add a VFG it must be greater than 26'' OAL and then that makes is a non NFA firearm. This is fact and well documented. I am in the build process and wondering what is the minimum barrel length that will put me there using a KAK shockwave tube. I know 11.5 will be fine what about 10.5? does anyone have one on hand they can measure? I know there are tons of 10.5 using KAK setups just wondering if someone can measure. I searched and couldn't find the answer.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
When mine was a pistol I used a KAK brace tube and a DD 10.3" barrel and it got me over the 26" limit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
... what is the minimum barrel length that will put me there using a KAK shockwave tube. I know 11.5 will be fine what about 10.5? ..
View Quote

KAK shockwave tube is same length as a "regular" pistol tube, isn't it?  If so, I don't think even 11.5" barrel will quite make the 26".

All these used to be based on the KAK Super Tubes which are about 1.50" longer measured from the receiver, where yes,  a 10.3" or longer would make the grade using that one.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

KAK shockwave tube is same length as a "regular" pistol tube, isn't it?  If so, I don't think even 11.5" barrel will quite make the 26".

All these used to be based on the KAK Super Tubes which are about 1.50" longer measured from the receiver, where yes,  a 10.3" or longer would make the grade using that one.

- OS
View Quote
I have the KAK Super Tube and it put me just over 26" overall length with a 10.5" barrel (not counting flash hider).
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have the KAK Super Tube and it put me just over 26" overall length with a 10.5" barrel (not counting flash hider).
View Quote
I'm right around 26.5" using same, not counting the FH either.

10.3" barrel would still make the grade. But again, OP's question was regarding shockwave tube, and I don't think even an 11.5" barrel will quite reach the mark using it.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I have to agree since the shockwave tube is shorter by aproximately 1.5 inches, The OP would have to go with a 12.5 or 13 inch barrel with the shockwave to get to the required 26 inch overall length.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#6]
On my pistol. I have a 10.5 barrel and a shockwave tube and brace.  It's right around 23". I can double check tonight. But I can not run a vfg.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey fellas......one question about this.

When measuring the overall length, it's from the end of the buffer tube, not the brace, to the end of the muzzle device or crown of the barrel?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hey fellas......one question about this.

When measuring the overall length, it's from the end of the buffer tube, not the brace, to the end of the muzzle device and to the crown of the barrel.  Unless muzzle device is permanently attached.

Thanks guys!
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you Sir  
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Double
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

- OS
View Quote
11.5" barrel makes it by 1/4" with a standard pistol tube, with the super tubes I believe even a 10.3" makes the length requirement.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#12]
If it's over 26" with a VFG - it's not a pistol. I don't have issues with it being 'well documented' what happens is that some still think it's "pistol" when the law states it is not.

Transport and use according to the law for AOW's - not a pistol. Which means in most jurisdictions, it will be treated as a rifle, ie no concealed carry, empty cased with ammo separate. But you do save the money for a tennis racquet bag for campus carry.

This is why I kept mine under 26". YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 10.5 PSA upper

With a shockwave blade w kak dimpled tube

Attached to a law side folding adapter

With the flash hider off measuring from the barrel to rear of the kak blade which sits flush with the buffer tube it measures 26 and 1/4 inch

Just figured I would post this for anyone interested

I like to use a Larue Tactical FUG with it  

Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I would just like to point out the FUG quick detachs ...when it's unattached it's a what ....
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top