Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/27/2017 10:37:50 AM EDT
So I'm looking at building a pistol and have been on r/ar15 on reddit for a lot of info, but a lot of them don't seem to know what's up and just spew the same regurgitated info they had read a billion times before.

I'm looking at doing a 7"-8.5" barrel and SBR in the future. Now I know some suppressor companies (or most) won't fix a suppressor under warranty with a barrel that short. If that's the case, I'll just build a new upper when that day arrives. It's going to be a range toy so fireballs and noise are a big deal. After all, it is a range where things go boom. The one thing I couldn't really verify without a strongly biased opinion was that it really hurts the internals of the AR when it's that short. Is this true? Is there anything I can do to circumvent that (AR pistol specific parts, cleaning regularly, ect.)?

I really like the look of a pistol with a shorter barrel, but if a 10.5" is really the best I guess I could do that. I don't really care about shooting longer ranges with is, as I have an AR10 for that. The pistol really will be just a fun range toy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I just built a 7.5 in pistol and love it, no problems at all with it, build what you want and like and enjoy shooting it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just built a 7.5 in pistol and love it, no problems at all with it, build what you want and like and enjoy shooting it.
View Quote
So no issues with internals at all?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So no issues with internals at all?
View Quote
None!  I have put around 1000 rounds down the tube and have had no problems at all
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Now I know some suppressor companies (or most) won't fix a suppressor under warranty with a barrel that short.
View Quote

Not sure where you received this inaccurate info and I've never heard of a warranty claim being denied because of barrel length. The big 3 suppressor companies will bend over backwards if you have a failure. Sometimes even when your the cause of the failure.

Personally a 10.5" or 11"5 Barrel are great SBR's...and I haven't heard that internals are more at risk by running a shorter barrel. Running it suppressed and being overgased will cause issues. You need to fine tune the buffer system and gas port size once you start deceasing barrel length.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 10.5" pistol, my son has an 8.5" and an 11.5". No problems with any of them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not sure where you received this inaccurate info and I've never heard of a warranty claim being denied because of barrel length. The big 3 suppressor companies will bend over backwards if you have a failure. Sometimes even when your the cause of the failure.

Personally a 10.5" or 11"5 Barrel are great SBR's...and I haven't heard that internals are more at risk by running a shorter barrel. Running it suppressed and being overgased will cause issues. You need to fine tune the buffer system and gas port size once you start deceasing barrel length.
View Quote
It was from Reddit, but I take everything with a grain of salt from there. Basically they were saying there was too much pressure from a sub 10" barrel and that it would damage the baffles and suppressor companies wouldn't fix it under warranty. Good to know this isn't true. I looked at several websites and never saw a warning about it or in the .pdf manuals neither.

So fine tuning the gas port size would just require an adjustable gas block right?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome great to hear! Is the 8.5" significantly, or noticeably, louder than the 10.5"/11.5"?
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top