Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/24/2017 6:12:29 PM EDT
Building a pistol with an 8" barrel which is coming with the standard F marked sight tower and delta ring setup from Ballistic Advantage.  Does anybody know who makes standard handguards that will fit this?  Just looking for the standard look and see no reason free float.  Thanks for any help as I have not been able to locate any.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:30:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Model 1 sales listed one but it's never in stock.
I made my own. Shortened DPMS glacier guards. You can get them cheap at CDNN. I planned on gluing them together or something, but ended up just wrapping electrical tape around them where cut is after I installed them.
looks like it's in stock now
thread about it here
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for that link, I think I will give it a try.  I also thought about modifying a standard set, but I don't want it to look cobbled together.  I guess they are cheap enough though to experiment with.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Since Model1 didn't have em at the time i ended up using a short little free float tube on my 7.5" 5.56 pistol.

Since then I've built a shorty .22lr pistol and found that tonys customs sells a very similar hand guard. Doesn't use the delta ring and handguard cap though, its all one piece. Works pretty decent, but since it doesnt have the spring pressure of the delta ring it is a hair loose.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:45:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since Model1 didn't have em at the time i ended up using a short little free float tube on my 7.5" 5.56 pistol.

Since then I've built a shorty .22lr pistol and found that tonys customs sells a very similar hand guard. Doesn't use the delta ring and handguard cap though, its all one piece. Works pretty decent, but since it doesnt have the spring pressure of the delta ring it is a hair loose.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/301946/IMG-20160303-095421-181493.JPG
View Quote
Is that the one he lists as DOE style? Looks different on his sight. To bad he doesn't give much description on there.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep. Thats the one i ordered. The pic on his site looks just like the Model 1 sales version, but what i got is different.

He sets up at a local gun show and ive seen both kinds on his table since i bought mine.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, looking at the picture you posted, that is the exact same one I got from Model 1 sales, even though the picture shows the one that uses the standard delta ring and end cap as separate pieces.  Very happy with the one I got and it worked perfectly.  I am guessing that they just redesigned the hand guard to its current design, but did not update the picture.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#7]
So how do you install it? Does it use a weld spring and circlip on the barrel nut?
ETA: I've often wondered why nobody makes a normal 2 piece drop in handguard in pistol length. There are actually several barrel makers selling pistol length barrels with Delta rings, but no handguards that fit it. Others have to be making their own? I saw one other guy on here that made handguards out of fiberglass, iirc. I cut a piece out of the center of dpms glacier guards, so they are like 4 piece drop in now. I wrapped electrical tape around the cut to hold it all together. You'd think somebody would be molding or 3d printing some pistol handguards by now. The problem is now is about 20 years late as most people today are building with full length rails. I just love the old school look though. I love looking at the picture thread and starting on page 1 with all the 7.5" a2 pistols.
I'm thinking about maybe cutting down some magpul handguards. Maybe the SL?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:09:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I have seen 4", 5" and 6" free float quad handguards on ebay and around the net for quite a while, in fact I just put a cheapy 4" quad free float on my 7.5"  5.56 but I might order a carbine length and mill it down to fit this shorty upper.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have seen 4", 5" and 6" free float quad handguards on ebay and around the net for quite a while, in fact I just put a cheapy 4" quad free float on my 7.5"  5.56 but I might order a carbine length and mill it down to fit this shorty upper.
View Quote
I know there are free float handguards in the 4" range but I'm talking about plastic m4 style, or better yet triangle handguards in pistol length.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I know there are free float handguards in the 4" range but I'm talking about plastic m4 style, or better yet triangle handguards in pistol length.
View Quote
I would love to see some triangles in a pistol length, it would be fun to build a pistol like that bases around the A2, shortest I have seen A2 style has been carbine length.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/301946/IMG-20160303-095421-181493.JPG
View Quote
That is a SUPER NICE looking pistol. All the right proportions. Would love to get your build list and do a similar.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top