Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/20/2017 12:50:15 PM EDT
My AR is registered as a pistol currently awaiting my SBR tax stamp.

Am I able to shoulder this firearm or is that illegal?  Are there certain items you can put on the buffer tube that you can shoulder or not?

I am ignorant on the subject and I have heard different opinions of the law.  Just want to make sure I'm GTG.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It is illegal to shoulder the brace without an approved tax stamp. Just because you have one in the process does not give you the go-ahead to start treating it like an SBR.

Just be patient, the day will come soon enough when you get magical piece of paper that allows you to legally put a piece of plastic to your shoulder that has a piece of metal shorter than 16" attached to it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Really?

Every week another round of the same questions!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#3]
MI has pistol registration?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes.

And to the guy who can't believe I'm asking this question, I just want to know for my own personal benefit.

No need to judge because I am uninformed, I'm just trying to learn.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes.

And to the guy who can't believe I'm asking this question, I just want to know for my own personal benefit.

View Quote
I have no problem with people wanting or trying to learn, but every single week, the same questions get asked over and over again, just a little small amount of time and you could have looked through this section and you would have found the answer.

As far as believing you asked, that I had no problem with, I am just saying when it comes to braces, the same thing gets asked over and over again and again.

It is a pistol by your own statement, think about it!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:00:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have no problem with people wanting or trying to learn, but every single week, the same questions get asked over and over again, just a little small amount of time and you could have looked through this section and you would have found the answer.

As far as believing you asked, that I had no problem with, I am just saying when it comes to braces, the same thing gets asked over and over again and again.

It is a pistol by your own statement, think about it!
View Quote
Well I have heard different answers on the subject, and I wasn't limiting the question to be just for braces.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay then, question has been answered. Better lock thread before the butthurt for a ridiculous "law" starts flowing.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#8]
We should have a sticky thread "Can I put this to my shoulder" followed by an answer of "Do you want to be kicked in the balls?" The same answer applies.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fair enough.

Shouldering a pistol is in a gray area of the law. It could prove intent to illegally build an SBR if it has a stock like brace on it. But people with just buffer tubes cheek weld it and put it against their shoulder all the time with no problem AFAIK. So it's not the shouldering it that's illegal in my interpretation, it's the purposeful circumventing of the NFA tax and building an SBR illegally by misusing a brace as a stock. It doesn't matter if you have paperwork pending or not as best I can tell.

So without really offering you any solid answer (because there is none) my recommendation is to handle properly as an AR pistol in public until you have your stamp in hand.  

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fair enough.

Shouldering a pistol is in a gray area of the law. It could prove intent to illegally build an SBR if it has a stock like brace on it. But people with just buffer tubes cheek weld it and put it against their shoulder all the time with no problem AFAIK. So it's not the shouldering it that's illegal in my interpretation, it's the purposeful circumventing of the NFA tax and building an SBR illegally by misusing a brace as a stock. It doesn't matter if you have paperwork pending or not as best I can tell.

So without really offering you any solid answer (because there is none) my recommendation is to handle properly as an AR pistol in public until you have your stamp in hand.  

Cheers!
-JC
View Quote
Good polite answer to a guy who was genuinely asking a question!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fair enough.

Cheers!
-JC
View Quote
This is what I was looking for, I appreciate the post. Cheers!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:29:05 AM EDT
[#12]
For the TL;DR crowd, here is a summary:

Can a PISTOL be shouldered at all? - NO

Can an SBR registered to you be shouldered? - YES
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:16:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Never seen any ATF ruling or opinion that states that. Please elucidate.

- OS
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:57:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS
I have a better idea, why don't you "elucidate" what pistol can be shouldered legally?

Last I saw, ATF issued a ruling that none of the braces can be shouldered unless registered as SBR and tax paid.  A tube should fall in the same realm but feel free to write them a letter if you want clarification.  As for me, no shoulder without the golden tax stamp.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:20:38 AM EDT
[#15]
There's only one way to know. Call and write the atf
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have a better idea, why don't you "elucidate" what pistol can be shouldered legally?...
View Quote
As far as we have been "informed" by the ATF, every pistol in the world except one with a brace or certain specific cheek weld device.

And not just in the AR pistol world:

- OS
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
???
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:22:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
???
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
???
As he said, yes, it does.

- OS
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#19]
(It is not illegal to shoulder a pistol.)
People keep assuming their own opinion based on letters. I have never seen a letter that specifically says it is illegal to shoulder a pistol.  If it was as simple as that then every letter would say ''illegal to shoulder a pistol'' in the wording.
It is illegal to put an arm brace on a pistol with the ''intent'' to use it as a stock. Shouldering or not.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#20]
"Intent" is the key word in these discussions....

Problem is, you don't get to define your "Intent"

The BATF defines your "Intent"
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I suppose one's lawyers would need to request what size feeler gauge was used between the buffer tube and the shoulder to determine whether you were shouldering, or just simply getting close, or brushing your shirt.

I don't recall any minimum distance mentioned by the BATF.

Shooting with a cheek rest really looks like you are shouldering it even if you definitely are not.

This is also why I used a cheek rest and not an arm brace.  An arm brace isn't being used as intended if you are using it as a cheek rest.  A cheek rest is being used exactly as intended unless you are intending to use it against your shoulder as a stock.  But that would be dumb wouldn't it.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top