Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2017 3:57:10 PM EDT
What length barrels do you guys like and why, what situations are you using them in or for?

Thanks, I have a lot of guns, and regular handguns, but this will be the first AR pistol I have built or for that matter shot, never have played with the shorter barrels in the AR platform.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]
What caliber are you interested in? For my 300BLK I used a 9.5" barrel because 9" is basically full burn for the cartridge. You can go much shorter for 9mm and 22lr.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:40:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm also in the middle of my first pistol build.  I went with a 300 blk in 10.3" because I really like the Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile, which isn't available in a 9", and didn't feel like going down to an 8" barrel.  Plus I like the fact that they pin the gas blocks on the Hanson series vs the Modern series.  If Faxon offered 1:7 twist I could have easily gone with them as well, they make awesome barrels.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:44:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Which caliber you interested in?

223 Wylde in 10.5" - Flawless performance in this pistol. Never jams and eats everything from 1970's USGI surplus to Com block surplus. Length chosen for more complete powder burn vs shorter barrels.

300 blk in 8.5" KAK - Burn rate as mentioned above is pretty optimal in this length. Pretty much digests typical 300blk loads, but I push limits on bullets (round nose) and low charges that cause malfunctions. I experiment with this cartridge more than any of the others because of bullet type/weight availability.  

7.62x39 in 7.5" - Most issues with this barrel and caliber. Still working to get steel case to function. Brass case hand loads functions fine. Barrel length is short because pistols are more fun with short barrels IMO.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:34:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 7.62x39 in 7.5" and 5.56 in 7.5" and 10.5", zero problems with any of them.
I think 7.5" is the most fun, nicest handling and most awesome looking. I'd go 10.5 if I was actually hunting big game though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:24:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:43:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys,

I have decided I am going to do a 5.56 as well as a .300 black so that information helps a lot.

Dave
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I built my first pistol with a 7.5 barrel. I wanted it to be short and something I can throw in a backpack and go. I also felt that if I drop 5-6" it wasn't really worth it to me to build a pistol. I wanted to take as much off the length as I could and be enjoyable and fun to shoot and I went with a 7.5 upper. Mine is in 5.56.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I built my first pistol with a 7.5 barrel. I wanted it to be short and something I can throw in a backpack and go. I also felt that if I drop 5-6" it wasn't really worth it to me to build a pistol. I wanted to take as much off the length as I could and be enjoyable and fun to shoot and I went with a 7.5 upper. Mine is in 5.56.
View Quote

Exactly this.  An AR pistol is supposed to be short, not a rifle with a Blade on it.  I have a 7.5" in 5.56 and it shoots awesome.  It's my favorite gun by far.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
10.5" minimum if you'red doing a 5.56/.223 build.
View Quote

WHY? For most of us our AR pistols are just range toys. My 7.5" functions absolutely 100%. Sure, if you were wanting to hunt big game or shoot targets at 100 yards plus, but most people would probably just use a carbine anyways. For me 10.5"~ is right at the limit where if it were 1 inch longer I'd rather just have a 16" barrel and stock. In fact I'm thinking about swapping out my 10.5" for a 7.5" barrel.

I totally agree with the 2 posts above me. Also I don't like the idea of getting a short barrel and a big ol' flash can on it my shorties all just run a2s.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I will just run A2 birdcages on these.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I was going back and forth between 10.5" and 12.5", but finally went 11.5" since I found a really good deal.  I'm pretty happy with it, but I definitely can't fault anyone for wanting to go shorter.  Most of the benefit of the AR pistol is getting a shorter overall package than would otherwise be possible.  You just have to decide what you want out of it and go for it.  10.5" is probably the sweet spot for most people, but who says you can only have one?  
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I will just run A2 birdcages on these.
View Quote

If you want a flashcan, the KAK Micro flashcan is the same length as the A2.  I didn't notice too much difference in shooting when I changed my A2 out for the micro.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Well found a 7.5 barrel in EE this morning for a pretty good price, another BA barrel, so just adds to my BA stable!

Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Upper:
BCM BHF 11.5 
Surefire MBK556
BCM KMR
MagPul Pro BUIS
Radian Freedom Bone Ambi Charging Handle 
ADM Aimpoint Mount
Aimpoint H1
Surefire M600
HSP Thorntail
Surefire RC2
GemTech BGC with BCM Bolt 
Railscales G10 rail panels and Karve Handstop

Lower:
KAC Lower
CMC 3.5 Flat Trigger
CMMG LPK
KAK Shockwave
MagPul Bad Lever
B5 Systems Grip
B5 Sopmod stock (When Form 1 comes back)

Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:32:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I only go as low as 10.5" with 5.56.

The mil agreed with whoever that that was lowest that should be done.

BCM only goes as short as 11".

ETA: Not that BCM has stuck to doing things to have reliability vs what customers demand.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

WHY? For most of us our AR pistols are just range toys. My 7.5" functions absolutely 100%. Sure, if you were wanting to hunt big game or shoot targets at 100 yards plus, but most people would probably just use a carbine anyways. For me 10.5"~ is right at the limit where if it were 1 inch longer I'd rather just have a 16" barrel and stock. In fact I'm thinking about swapping out my 10.5" for a 7.5" barrel.

I totally agree with the 2 posts above me. Also I don't like the idea of getting a short barrel and a big ol' flash can on it my shorties all just run a2s.
View Quote
Yeah if its just a range gun 7.5" is totally fine and fun. You won't get the same accuracy at distance but if you're ok with that then its no biggie. If you wanna shoot a little further then 10.5". 
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top