BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/8/2017 6:25:16 PM EDT
I received a couple emails saying these were now in stock at a few places.

I can't seem to find info about length, etc.....

Anyone have one yet?

I need pics of one in the field before hitting the order button.

Sling swivel sockets?

It says that it uses a standard BCA and Buffer (IIRC) so that must mean it is no shorter that a standard buffer tube/stock in the shortest position??
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they are 5 3/4 long. No sling swivels. That's why I'm going with Maxim Defense.

It's a shorter buffer. Go to maxim defense fb page to see their version
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I know their version.

So, I need to decide if the shorter length and sling sockets are worth $160 more...the long and short of it.

Probably back to waiting for the Tail Hook.

These don't look bad either, by any means...even if it wasn't any shorter, but had sling sockets, I would probably buy this one.

I know that the Maxim one comes with Springs and buffers, so I realize why theirs is more....just not sure it is worth that to me.

I may get anxious and pull the trigger on this one...seeing them for $239.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:39:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know their version.

So, I need to decide if the shorter length and sling sockets are worth $160 more...the long and short of it.

Probably back to waiting for the Tail Hook.

These don't look bad either, by any means...even if it wasn't any shorter, but had sling sockets, I would probably buy this one.

I know that the Maxim one comes with Springs and buffers, so I realize why theirs is more....just not sure it is worth that to me.

I may get anxious and pull the trigger on this one...seeing them for $239.
View Quote

I was basing the length for the sb brace on the length of the maxim one. It appears the same animal other than sling swivels.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:43:00 PM EDT
[#4]
But if the SB uses standard BCA and Buffers, shouldn't we assume it is longer when in the shortest position then the Maxim would be, since the Maxim uses a special buffer?

I haven't seen a side by side comparison, so I am not sure.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#5]
It's totally the same length as a standard buffer tube. Look at the picture on the front page.
https://www.sb-tactical.com

Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I have always wanted to clone a honey badger pistol clone. I was going to use s 6 inch 300 blackout barrel with the sb pdw brace. Instead I kept my 8.3 inch blackout barrel with the maxim pdw brace, and I'm glad I went this route. OAL, on my pistol is 23inches, with the maxim pdw brace. The sb will be longer. If I went with a 6 inch barrel, I would have less use for 300 blackout. Imo.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the Maxim brace shipping?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is the Maxim brace shipping?
View Quote
they're filling backorders from their website now and then will start sending to retailers
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless im missing something @ $299 you might as well just SBR it
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Must of the people that choose an AR pistol over an SBR isn't due to cost savings...
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#11]
You guys really carrying around your AR "pistols"?

I went pistol over SBR because I think the tax is a joke just like a $300 brace that I still can't technically shoulder
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#12]
So why bother posting in a thread about a pistol brace that you aren't interested in? It makes no sense.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Because I can......Why are you upset that I think the item is overpriced?........Makes no sense
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I think they are over priced too...and not upset.

I did find the SB one for $239. If they were $150, I would have ordered by now.

The price seems to make sense when compared to the stock counter parts.

I will probably still wait for the gear head product.

Still would like to see some pictures of anyone has one in hand.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm also waiting to see the Gear Head Works Tailhook.  I like the idea of no strap ons.  

And there are pictures of the Maxim Defense Brace in this other thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/706825_Adjustable-pistol-brace.html&page=2
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think they are over priced too...and not upset.

I did find the SB one for $239. If they were $150, I would have ordered by now.

The price seems to make sense when compared to the stock counter parts.

I will probably still wait for the gear head product.

View Quote

See there now we've found our happy place because at $150 I'd be all over it
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:55:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

See there now we've found our happy place because at $150 I'd be all over it
View Quote

Best to wait for a random Holiday sale or a store promo code. God knows prices are low enough already.

Been seeing some pretty decent flash sales.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:15:03 AM EDT
[#18]
the SB Tactical version does have a QD mount on the bottom center, just FYI. 

Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:16:56 AM EDT
[#19]
and heres a pic of the SBTPDW collapsed (not mine... these are from a fb group)

and fully extended

Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Daggett,

Great pics and info. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, between these pics and another members pics and info on a different thread....I just spent $248.

Will update thread when it arrives for those who have interest.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, between these pics and another members pics and info on a different thread....I just spent $248.

Will update thread when it arrives for those who have interest.
View Quote

Congrats. That really is a nice looking brace.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks,

Even though I think $239 plus shipping is a little high for what it is, I am happy not to pay another  $150- $200 more for something a little shorter. The maxim looks amazing, but too much $$$.

This is the working man's PDW brace;)
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks,

Even though I think $239 plus shipping is a little high for what it is, I am happy not to pay another  $150- $200 more for something a little shorter. The maxim looks amazing, but too much $$.

This is the working man's PDW brace;)
View Quote

IIRC the Maxim does come with a JP spring, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Depending on how much you want to spend. I think the cheapest one is $375 and it comes with a standard style spring and short, standard type buffer.

$425 to $469 for the JP setups.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#26]
You can get an older version Maxim Defense on Gunbroker for $350.
Overpriced? Yes, but you get the stock, buffer and JP silent capture spring.  A regular AR stock cost $70 ish + and the JP silent capture cost $100. Then you need buffer tube, castle nut, etc..  In the end it's a bit more but you get a solid PDW stock (or pistol stock when MD starts shipping their pistol brace version).

Here's my Maxim Defense stock I picked up off gun broker. Forgot to mention this stock is currently on my SBR. I plan on picking up a MD pistol brace once they become available.

click image upload
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You can get an older version Maxim Defense on Gunbroker for $350.
Overpriced? Yes, but you get the stock, buffer and JP silent capture spring.  A regular AR stock cost $70 ish + and the JP silent capture cost $100. Then you need buffer tube, castle nut, etc..  In the end it's a bit more but you get a solid PDW stock (or pistol stock when MD starts shipping their pistol brace version).

Here's my Maxim Defense stock I picked up off gun broker. Forgot to mention this stock is currently on my SBR. I plan on picking up a MD pistol brace once they become available.

click image upload
View Quote

Any major differences between the older and current versions?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#28]
I called MD and had the same question. I specifically asked about the castle nut (integrated in the buffer tube - one piece unit).  The older version has the castle nut flush with the brace mount and it's tough to get a castle nut wrench on it. I used a belt wrench to tighten mine. Worked no problem.
The newer version has the nut protruding past the brace mount just enough to get your wrench on it.
MD also mentioned the tolerances are tighter on the new braces so there's little to no rattle. I have to say that my earlier Version stock has little to no play.
I highly recommend the stock. The only complaint I have is that my 300 blk piston Adams Arm doesn't cycle with the standard JP spring (doesnt cycle with a standard AR stock and regular buffer weight either).  Course that has nothing to do with the stock and is a AA issue.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:09:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Anybody tested the Maxim Defense adjustable brace (the shorter one that uses a shorter buffer) with a 9mm bolt yet?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I received and installed my new SB tactical brace today. Well build and solid. Nice finish. I like the closed length, and shorter and it would be awkward to hold and fire when in shortest position.

I will post pics later.

It also doesn't seem too heavy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I like it...alot.

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Sweet.

I'm gathering that it is somewhat longer than the Maxim version.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes, it is longer then the Maxim brace.

I am not sure by how much, probably 2".

I was having cost weigh in on my purchase more that compactness, although I would love the Maxim one too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You guys really carrying around your AR "pistols"?

I went pistol over SBR because I think the tax is a joke just like a $300 brace that I still can't technically shoulder
View Quote
Not sure this is 100% correct, but I heard in my state (Colorado) you can't have a fully load rifle in the vehicle which is why my buddy is keeping his in pistol config.

I'm sure there's some valid reasons to not ever SBR a pistol, and this brace would make it look nice.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm just not really interested in std tube
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yes, it is longer then the Maxim brace.

I am not sure by how much, probably 2".

I was having cost weigh in on my purchase more that compactness, although I would love the Maxim one too.
View Quote
How tight is the lock up? Any rattling?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#37]
When fully extended, there is maybe 1/8" movement back and fourth. There is actually a little less movement then my magpul CTR when it is fully extended without the lock engaged.

When out to the second position, that is barely any movement at all.

I am very impressed actually. I am trying to decide if I should get another one for my 9mm AR pistol or just stick with my Law folder and plain pistol tube....hmmm, decisions.

I do really like it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Exile machine has the Maxim brace with standard buffer in stock now if anyone is interested.

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/maxim-cqb-pistol-pdw-brace-std-blk-107528.html
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Noice, but I'll hold out for the Gear head works offering.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Does it come with the buffer tube?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes, all you need is a buffer and spring.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Oh damn!  I like that QD position much more than the Maxim Defense location.
View Quote
Agreed!

I just wish that the SB Tactical was as short as the Maxim.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Agreed!

I just wish that the SB Tactical was as short as the Maxim.
View Quote
If it was as short as the Maxim, it would require a special spring, buffer, which would bump the price up. Exile machine is selling the basic Maxim for about 350, so not a ton more than the sbpdw. 
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#45]
The Maxim brace with their standard buffer and spring is very loud. It makes the action, when suppressed loud, I highly recommend that you don't get that configuration if you like suppressors and quiet host. Get the jp instead. IMO

I will say the Maxim Defense, was worth every penny, even though I have a Con. I believe, because of its short length, it is easier to shoot with your cheek. Im also disabled,  so the purchase was priceless for me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Interesting, thanks for posting.  I was about to pick up a normal buffer for my 300 blk use.  I'll rethink that...
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#47]
OK so I am clear this runs standard Buffers and springs?  

Do you have to have something special for it to be quieter?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#48]
You can either get it with a standard buffer and spring or with a JP captured buffer and spring for a bit more money.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#49]
The sbpdw brace uses standard buffer and spring, the Maxim pdw brace uses a short version of standard buffer and spring. Yes, jp captive spring on any firearm will make a gun more quiet.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The sbpdw brace uses standard buffer and spring, the Maxim pdw brace uses a short version of standard buffer and spring. Yes, jp captive spring on any firearm will make a gun more quiet.
View Quote
Yeah I didn't say that too clearly. Meant that the Maxim uses a standard set up in that its a traditional (albeit shortened) spring with an option to upgrade to the JP captured spring. My English wudnt too goodly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top