Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2017 8:40:45 PM EDT
This will be my first AR pistol build.  Want to do 7.5" barrel.

Have a lower, like the idea of a kit to simplify the build.

Not finding exactly what I want though.  I checked PSA, BCM, RRA, CDNN, Del-Ton, Wolf Armory, Brownells, Daytone Tactical, DSG and I don't know how many others for kits.  Hoping I missed something.

When I did my rifle, I did it piece by piece which took a while but I got exactly what I wanted.  Since I am in WI I used BCM wherever I could.

This one doesn't "have" to be BCM.  I just want a high quality build kit with a stainless barrel or a chrome lined one. Intended use is range fun and HD.

Searching online, closest I think I found was a package from Ground Zero Precision, who I am not familiar with.  Would have to call and see where they source their parts from. Example:   Kit  Even then I see stuff I would want to change.  I also don't like their time to ship currently.

Seems like it is rare to see chrome lined or stainless barrels in 7.5".  Also seems like all the kits with handguards included I saw are keymod, which I do not want.  Ideally picatinny.  

Are there kits anyone can recommend or do I just need to build from scratch?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I would start with an upper from Andro Corp. Industries. They are well liked around here and use Ballistic Advantage barrels. They also offer great deals on their Quad Rail upper to arfcommers... check their ad out in the EE under the used uppers section. He says he posts in the used section because he tests/shoots all his stuff.

7.5" upper

these include the BCG and CH.

Then all you gotta do is grab a lower build kit.

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:23:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the link, I did not know Andro was doing that.  Not a bad price and set up the way I want.

However, I looked at Andro previously and no stainless or chrome lined barrels, nor any chrome lined BCGs like I want.  

May reach out to Jason nevertheless to pick his brain.  I have seen in other AR threads that he is pretty responsive and straightforward.  And it certainly helps having good feedback from other Arfcommers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:03:07 AM EDT
[#3]
JSE surplus sells some chrome lined and SS uppers.
That kit you posted doesn't really help because it isn't even assembled (the upper).
If you don't want to build the upper, just look for assembled uppers, a bcg if it didn't come with one and a PSA lower build kit.
If you can assemble an upper though I'd just buy the parts you want. You could buy a SS barrel from bear creek arsenal and just about all the other upper parts from cdnn and the lower build kit from PSA.

ETA: is this like what you are looking for?
http://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/upper-assemblies/pistol-upper-assembly-7-5-1-7-twist-free-float-stainless-steel
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I feel your pain as I recently went through the same thing trying to find the "perfect" off the shelf upper.  I've come to the conclusion that it just "ain't gonna happen" and your going to wind up with some spare parts you don't want if you buy it then customize it the way you want it.  I did find that I could have bought a completed upper and changed it to my liking significantly cheaper than I could source individual parts and build it from scratch.  Just something to keep in mind.

Regarding Ground Zero Precision:  I met these guys at a fun show and ended up buying a couple of barrels from them in their bargain bin.  These were returns for extremely nit pick reasons such as an almost imperceptible bur on a feed ramp.

I have built the stainless 10.5 barrel in to a pistol and am very satisfied with the product. I did not ask who they source their barrels from but would buy from them again.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've come to the conclusion that it just "ain't gonna happen" and your going to wind up with some spare parts you don't want if you buy it then customize it the way you want it.  I did find that I could have bought a completed upper and changed it to my liking significantly cheaper than I could source individual parts and build it from scratch.  Just something to keep in mind.  
View Quote

Kinda what I was thinking based on what I had been finding.  I suppose I can always throw whatever I part out on the EE to help offset costs.  Just because it isn't to my taste doesn't mean it won't be to someone else's.

And thanks for the words on Ground Zero Precision.  Always helps having input from people with experience.  The wait time is still killer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
JSE surplus sells some chrome lined and SS uppers.
That kit you posted doesn't really help because it isn't even assembled (the upper).
If you don't want to build the upper, just look for assembled uppers, a bcg if it didn't come with one and a PSA lower build kit.
If you can assemble an upper though I'd just buy the parts you want. You could buy a SS barrel from bear creek arsenal and just about all the other upper parts from cdnn and the lower build kit from PSA.

ETA: is this like what you are looking for?
http://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/upper-assemblies/pistol-upper-assembly-7-5-1-7-twist-free-float-stainless-steel
View Quote

I will build if I have to, but assembled would be nice.  I noticed a few places have had the option of assembly for a small fee.  I would probably do that given the option to avoid idiot marks.

Thanks for the websites, had not seen these two before.  I can follow up with them on where they source their stuff.  Just trying to avoid stuff made overseas, which I am fearful of on the cheaper kits.

Looks like there are some good reviews of the Bear Creek Arsenal barrels out there too despite being "budget" barrels.

Funny you mention PSA for the LPK.  In my searching so far, it really struck me that PSA still appears to have the best variety and pricing for LPKs.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Ugh...I went into this wanting to keep this simple and cheap since my rifle got expensive and time consuming fast.

Looks like I am going to fail, and it isn't even what I started out wanting.

I was reviewing the WI Firearm Industrial Complex thread in the hometown forum and came across a barrel maker I hadn't seen before,   DEZ Arms.  Longer than I wanted and not chromed or stainless, but they claim their treatment is better than chrome and it is a fluted match grade barrel (not that match grade matters at 10" probably).  Relatively reasonably priced given what it is.  Made here.

Then I found SCT BCGs for a great price.  Also made here.

When I called DEZ Arms about uppers because they appeared out of stock, Sherry of DEZ Arms directed me to her son's website where I can custom build an upper using stuff they make in house along with a number of other brands.  

And BCM, Griffin Armaments and Midwest Industries are right down the road from me...

So thanks for the input guys, but having found these I think I need to support the locals.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:49:01 AM EDT
[#8]
https://thundertactical.com/

Thunder Tactical out of Florida.  They do excellent work and have good components that are very decently priced.  They have stainless 7.5" barrels that are also 1x7 and .223 Wylde chambering, the best for accuracy and reliability.  Can get keymod or railed handguards.  I am sure the handguards are imported but they work fine.  The rails are slightly thicker than spec so be aware of that, but any clamp on accessories fit fine, the Magpul plastic front sight fits but needs to be tapped on.  I have the 7.5" SS barrel and it is very accurate.  The bolt carrier group is great quality and works fine.  Only thing I didn't care for in the kit was the recoil spring which is larger diameter than spec so it digs into the outer edge of the buffer, gouging it.  I changed out the spring and buffer to a milspec spring and H buffer along with going to a KAK tube and blade.  I also replaced the A2 brake with a KAK Micro flashcan.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top