Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

SBR it.
View Quote

Waiting 6 months, paying $200, registering due to some draconian law, and not being able to cross state lines easily with the rifle is more than enough reason to go with a pistol instead.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Waiting 6 months, paying $200, registering due to some draconian law, and not being able to cross state lines easily with the rifle is more than enough reason to go with a pistol instead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SBR it.

I did the pistol thing because I thought paying $200 for a permission slip was ridiculous, but after a few months, caved in and form 1'd it. For me, stamping my pistol was the best $200 I ever spent on a firearm. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

... You realize 300 BLK is a necked down 5.56 right?
View Quote

Wrong. It's necked up to .30 cal...

John
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

John
View Quote

Lol this is in the context of the cartridge's case, i'm aware 300 BLK has a .30 cal bullet. Go take a caliper and measure the diameter of a 5.56 casing on it's thickest section - riveting, I know.

Being pedantic is fun though I'll admit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:10:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lol this is in the context of the cartridge's case, i'm aware 300 BLK has a .30 cal bullet. Go take a caliper and measure the diameter of a 5.56 casing on it's thickest section - riveting, I know.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

John

Except that whole cutting the neck off and then resizing the entire case for a 30 cal bullet. Hence, "necking up" for the 125gr sst or 208gr amax.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:16:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SBR it.

Isn't that why people use the sig "brace" or whatever the fuck else for 6 months? Then sell it. For an SBR.. I get it, you're impatient, and or not willing to fill out some paperwork. But don't try and pull the whole "I'm not gonna pay the .gov tax for freedom." Good luck "not shouldering you brace brah". SBR is master race. IMO.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:17:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I did the pistol thing because I thought paying $200 for a permission slip was ridiculous, but after a few months, caved in and form 1'd it. For me, stamping my pistol was the best $200 I ever spent on a firearm. YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SBR it.

This guy knows what's up.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:22:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Me, personally, I like the blade and cheek weld position.  Its easy to shoot and accurate, for me at least.

Illinois is not an NFA state, although there is an exemption for C&R FFL holders (which I am) for SBR's.  Still no desire to do an SBR.  I love my pistol.  As a side benefit it REALLY pisses off the Tier 1 SBR owners who can't resist getting all high and mighty.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:29:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Me, personally, I like the blade and cheek weld position.  Its easy to shoot and accurate, for me at least.

Illinois is not an NFA state, although there is an exemption for C&R FFL holders (which I am) for SBR's.  Still no desire to do an SBR.  I love my pistol.  As a side benefit it REALLY pisses off the Tier 1 SBR owners who can't resist getting all high and mighty.
View Quote

By no means am I trying to be "high and mighty" I just don't get the adverse position of "you're dumb for paying $200 and waiting that long for permission" crap. I get it if you don't live in a state that doesn't allow it. But don't shame people for doing it because they can.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:40:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

By no means am I trying to be "high and mighty" I just don't get the adverse position of "you're dumb for paying $200 and waiting that long for permission" crap. I get it if you don't live in a state that doesn't allow it. But don't shame people for doing it because they can.
View Quote

Where did I shame anyone? If you have the patience and cash, go for it. I'm just saying there's plenty reason not to.

I will be the first to admit shooting an SBR will pretty much always be better than any legal pistol shooting, you can't beat a shoulder stock and the ATF knows that. I don't pretend shooting from the cheek is "just as good" as shooting from the shoulder lol. Its quite terrible for anything other than slow paced shooting...
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:53:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Where did I shame anyone? If you have the patience and cash, go for it. I'm just saying there's plenty reason not to.

I will be the first to admit shooting an SBR will pretty much always be better than any legal pistol shooting, you can't beat a shoulder stock and the ATF knows that. I don't pretend shooting from the cheek is "just as good" as shooting from the shoulder lol. Its quite terrible for anything other than slow paced shooting...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

I didn't call you out and said you "shamed" anyone or me. But you did make it sound like the pistol option is the better way to go. Yes it may be cheaper. And subjectively may be the "better way to go". And that is your opinion; which I respect, my opinion is SBR is master race. but don't renig on your statements that you prefer pistols over SBRs. No one likes a renigger.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:58:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Isn't that why people use the sig "brace" or whatever the fuck else for 6 months? Then sell it. For an SBR.. I get it, you're impatient, and or not willing to fill out some paperwork. But don't try and pull the whole "I'm not gonna pay the .gov tax for freedom." Good luck "not shouldering you brace brah". SBR is master race. IMO.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/318446/IMG-0954-153480.JPG
View Quote

Except.....

I can roll dirty w/ an AR-pistol w/ 30 rd. mag+ brace, next to the seat, in 31 states.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:59:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/318446/IMG-1072-153486.JPG
I didn't call you out and said you "shamed" anyone or me. But you did make it sound like the pistol option is the better way to go. Yes it may be cheaper. And subjectively may be the "better way to go". And that is your opinion; which I respect, my opinion is SBR is master race. but don't renig on your statements that you prefer pistols over SBRs. No one likes a renigger.
View Quote

I can concede that SBRs provide a better shooting experience while preferring pistols because of mentioned reasons having to do with everything else, those two are not mutually exclusive.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion as well, but this thread was asking about what the most accurate way to shoot an AR15 pistol legally was lol. Chances are if they're into pistols they've probably investigated the whole SBR route and decided for themselves it's not worth it, but I won't speak for OP.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:03:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Except.....

I can roll dirty w/ an AR-pistol w/ 30 rd. mag+ brace, next to the seat, in 31 states.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/318446/IMG-0954-153480.JPG

Except.....

I can do that with my Glock 17 and my 33rd mag too. Besides. No one fucking acksed you.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:06:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I can concede that SBRs provide a better shooting experience while preferring pistols because of mentioned reasons having to do with everything else, those two are not mutually exclusive.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion as well, but this thread was asking about what the most accurate way to shoot an AR15 pistol legally was lol. Chances are if they're into pistols they've probably investigated the whole SBR route and decided for themselves it's not worth it, but I won't speak for OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/318446/IMG-1072-153486.JPG

Touché.
Get both. For standard arfcom fashion, for normal instate fashion, and interstate purposes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:15:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can do that with my Glock 17 and my 33rd mag too. Besides. No one fucking acksed you.
View Quote

HARDEN_THE_FUCK_UP
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:27:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Touché.
Get both. For standard arfcom fashion, for normal instate fashion, and interstate purposes.
View Quote

The things I would do if I had more cash, for sure...
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:41:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Touché.

Start another pistol lower build, and when you save enough money, file the stamp! Thats what I did. I'm not rich by any means. I sell freedom for a living FO fucks sake. Over time build your freedom collection!
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:30:36 AM EDT
[#19]
KAK extended tube with Thordsen CAA saddle works for me. It enables a good cheek weld at a comfortable distance.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:19:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hands On with the No Stock Needed (NSN) Stock-Like Device for AR-15 Pistols

Holy hell someone actually did it, i physically cringed when I saw him take the first shot O.O
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:24:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Except.....

View Quote

Not according to your probation officer. But I digress.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:33:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I hope this nonsense with SBRs comes to a halt at least some point in the next 4 years. None of the guys who sell suppressors in my area think that the HPA is going to get passed in 2017 though, so I'm skeptical considering there's no bill legalizing SBRs now and not really that big of a push...
View Quote

"Nah, don't wait, buy now!"
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#23]
can we please keep it on topic?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope this nonsense with SBRs comes to a halt at least some point in the next 4 years. None of the guys who sell suppressors in my area think that the HPA is going to get passed in 2017 though, so I'm skeptical considering there's no bill legalizing SBRs now and not really that big of a push...

IF the hpa passes, you ain't getting any money back. They shit is gonna get removed from the bill. .gov ALWAYS gets paid. And it'll be a while IF it passes. Buy now,  you'll have your shit before that bill goes through, and you can laugh at everyone else paying ridiculous prices for suppressors if it passes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Cheek weld really isn't that bad even without a sling..
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:37:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

The one draw back to IL is that you need 26" OAL for your SBR.

If I want to SBR my 9mm AR pistol I will have to ditch the 5.5" barrel and go with an 8.5" barrel to be safe. (stock extended of course)

Also thats with the MFT stock that is a tad longer than other carbine stocks. Cutting it close man :(
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If I want to SBR my 9mm AR pistol I will have to ditch the 5.5" barrel and go with an 8.5" barrel to be safe. (stock extended of course)

Also thats with the MFT stock that is a tad longer than other carbine stocks. Cutting it close man :(
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good info, thanks for posting that.  Makes me even more glad to just stay pistol.  I really don't want to deal with all those semantics and .gov involvement with my weapon.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Good info, thanks for posting that.  Makes me even more glad to just stay pistol.  I really don't want to deal with all those semantics and .gov involvement with my weapon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a pain but atleast we can have SBRs now. We passed that right under Chicago politicians noses with the whole C&R and re-enactor clause. They didn't read the fine print

It still sucks though since an SBRed P90, or Draco Pistol with a side folder would probably be too short.

IIRC the ATF won't issue your tax stamp in IL unless it's atleast 26" oal.

No idea what would happen if you decide to go shorter once the tax stamp was already issued.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No idea what would happen if you decide to go shorter once the tax stamp was already issued.
View Quote

Sounds like a crime... but who's going to enforce it? ATF doesn't care since they're federal... does IL have some sort of bureau for that garbage?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:01:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sounds like a crime... but who's going to enforce it? ATF doesn't care since they're federal... does IL have some sort of bureau for that garbage?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Edite: State police maybe?

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Changes the exemption from the unlawful use of weapons statute and the aggravated unlawful use of a weapon statute for military re-enacting. Provides that the exemption applies to a person possessing a rifle with a barrel or barrels less than 16 inches in length if: (A) the person has been issued a Curios and Relics license from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; or (B) the person is an active member of a bona fide, nationally recognized military re-enacting group and the modification is required and necessary to accurately portray the weapon for historical re-enactment purposes; the re-enactor is in possession of a valid and current re-enacting group membership credential; and the overall length of the weapon as modified is not less than 26 inches.

Actually I'm stupid.
According to Todd Vandermyde the NRA lobbyist for Illinois:
the 26" overall does not apply to Curio and Relic holders, only to reenactors.

I trust his word on the matter. This state doesn't suck as bad as I thought.

Now if only we can get SBS/Supressors legalized already (the bill is being stalled even though we have the votes for it. Madigan ftl)

This makes me super happy

Though I might need the 26" OAL just to get the tax stamp approved in the first place.

Also a CLEO sign off is no longer needed in general now? Just a notification right?

I need to get my C&R license.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#31]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQe925DK6d8

I see TMJ jaw surgery in that guys future
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted: Two point sling, pushed out, sling tight, tube against cheek. This method is just as stable to me as a stock in the shoulder. My hand is out on the handguard to permit better sling tension.
View Quote

This +1000.  

As quoted above, three points of contact (strong hand on grip, support hand on forearm and cheek weld on buffer tube - all locked together with sling tension) works remarkably well.  This technique also allows the use of a short/compact buffer tube for lighter weight, shorter OAL and less bulk.  

Before I put my "pistol" together I was considering a pinned 14.5 with a MVB ARC stock (non-NFA PDW), which would be only a few inches longer than using a 11.5 or 12.5 with a muzzle device.  IMO, shaving those couple of inches was not worth the hassle of NFA requirements and the ownership restrictions of a BATF-registered SBR.  Since I already own a 16" mid length carbine, having a pinned 14.5 did not offer any significant advantages to me.

Along with avoiding any NFA entanglement, to me the strength of the pistol configuration is compact size, minimal bulk, light weight, magazine/ammo compatibility with my carbine and - perhaps most importantly - the ability to legally carry concealed like any other pistol here in NH, including in a vehicle.  At least for my intended use of an AR pistol, using the technique described above works very well while avoiding unnecessary bulk and weight to the RE.

BCM pistol lower, BCM 11.5" ELW upper, Magpul sling.  AOL is under 26" to end of EFAB, weight is 5 pounds - 5 ounces sans the Malkoff light.

MVB Micro Pistol Kit
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

MVB Micro Pistol Kit
View Quote
Nice rig! Just finishing a 10.5" build and seriously considering the MPK. How is it working for you in terms of reliability?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:...seriously considering the MPK. How is it working for you in terms of reliability?
View Quote

So far, so good.  I only have about 200 rounds through his build so far of XM193, Gold Dot 75 and some 69 OTM hand loads, but it has been 100%.  Ejection is straight out to 3 o'clock, empties don't even hit the deflector and land in a nice small pile regardless of load.  The action cycles smoothly with no unusual noise. Others have reported good results with the MVB ARC-X stock which shares the same buffer system as the MPK.

If you go with the MPK be sure to purchase their buffer tube wrench.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So far, so good.  I only have about 200 rounds through his build so far of XM193, Gold Dot 75 and some 69 OTM hand loads, but it has been 100%.  Ejection is straight out to 3 o'clock, empties don't even hit the deflector and land in a nice small pile regardless of load.  The action cycles smoothly with no unusual noise. Others have reported good results with the MVB ARC-X stock which shares the same buffer system as the MPK.

If you go with the MPK be sure to purchase their buffer tube wrench.
View Quote
Thanks, was wondering about the wrench. Looks like I'll give the system a go. At least AR's are slightly less "hungry" than my Harley. ;-)
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Cheek weld with Blade
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Who fuckin bumped this?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQe925DK6d8

I see TMJ jaw surgery in that guys future
View Quote
And carpal tunnel from all the control manipulation between shots.  (I know why some train this way.  It's just a youtube pet peeve that to me is as annoying to watch as the robotic "scanning for threats" head bob.)

Back to the OP.  I like the Thordsen cheek rest.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Lol. That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hands On with the No Stock Needed (NSN) Stock-Like Device for AR-15 Pistols

Holy hell someone actually did it, i physically cringed when I saw him take the first shot O.O

Lol. That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
A good way to knock yourself out.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#40]
The most accurate way to shoot an AR Pistol is to put the buffer tube against your shoulder and pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:13:49 AM EDT
[#41]
There is very little difference between shooting an AR pistol and SBR. There's no point in speaking in absolutes.

Currently I have pistols, a firearm, and am working on my first SBR. May even do a PDW style AOW as well. Why the hell not?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Worth a Read
View Quote
That's an interesting read and helps to confirm our beliefs the AR pistol is more than a range toy but a very useful and effective defensive/offensive weapon.  When I built my pistol and started shooting it from the cheek weld I found it much easier to shoot than my AR carbine and exhibits little recoil.  Other than the obvious louder report and more muzzle flash I find no other serious drawbacks to an AR pistol.  Effective distance may be less but still more than enough for most needs.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top