Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2017 3:05:29 AM EDT
Hello there everyone I am new to this site and kinda new to the AR platform but I own 2 5.56 AR and was thinking of building a 9.5 barrel 300 blackout pistol from a 80% lower now what I would like to know what are the legal issue in my home state of indiana with this build I should be worry about also will it be legal to add a standard AR style buttstock since it's gonna be built on a 80% lower
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's going to have a 9.5" barrel and considered a pistol, then of course no, you cannot legally add a stock.  Doing so would make it a short barreled rifle and require registration as per the NFA.

Leave off the stock and you'll have a legal pistol config built on a new receiver.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Same as above...

Must have a 16" barrel or longer to add a stock unless it's registered as an SBR.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
While I like the idea of doing my own 80% receiver, if you are going to have to register it then I see no point in actually doing it unless you are going to leave it in a configuration that doesn't require any kind of registration.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:13:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah didn't have any intention on registering it plan on keeping it a ghost that's why I figured it would be alright adding the stock to it i just didn't want to get in trouble if I take it sometimes to the range
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:53:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah didn't have any intention on registering it plan on keeping it a ghost that's why I figured it would be alright adding the stock to it i just didn't want to get in trouble if I take it sometimes to the range
View Quote

Should be fine, as long as you don't consider possibility of 10 years in federal prison as "trouble". Not to mention possible IN state charges too.

- OS
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top