Posted: 1/7/2017 7:27:15 PM EDT

Fedarm FR-15 in .300 Blackout
Rise Armament Black Fallout RA-140 Super Sporting Trigger
Nikon Force XR 2x20 EER
Truglo Micro-Tac Tactical Micro Laser Sight
Lasermax Manta Ray rail light
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess that's one way to mount your optic.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
http://i65.tinypic.com/hwxpnp.jpg
Nikon Force XR 2x20 EER
View Quote

I like that! Very nice. Now let the force be with you. 
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Want.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#4]
10/10
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks really good. What type of paint did you use?
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

"I think I got a bad scope.  I can't seem to get a good sight picture without putting the tip of the buffer tube against my cheek."
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:21:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks really good. What type of paint did you use?
View Quote

Durakote aerosol. Never again. I'll let a pro Cerakote next time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:31:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Lol! Yeah, I did a takedown after shooting and didn't put the scope back into place before snapping pics.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:35:53 AM EDT
[#9]
FPNI
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:00:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lol! Yeah, I did a takedown after shooting and didn't put the scope back into place before snapping pics.
View Quote
I think he was referring to the scope mount being backwards.  Looks good regardless.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Why even bother to put a scope on it?  I thought stormtroopers couldnt hit anything anyways.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#12]
No Laser?
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No Laser?
View Quote

Truglo Micro-Tac Tactical Micro Laser Sight mounted business end topside.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

"I think I got a bad scope.  I can't seem to get a good sight picture without putting the tip of the buffer tube against my cheek."
View Quote

Stormtroopers don't have cheeks so...yeah.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#15]
So you're not going to be able to hit anything with it?
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think he was referring to the scope mount being backwards.  Looks good regardless.
View Quote

The scope is not mounted backwards. It's a Nikon pistol scope and I assure you it is mounted correctly and is wonderfully easy to acquire a target with. It is extended eye relief mounted rearward and sights somewhat like a reflex sight. This pistol is not set up as a cheek shooter.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Easy there -- look at the last photo compared to your photo. One of these things is not like the others. No biggie. Nice build!
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#18]
The scope is fine, but the mount is backwards.  Most people use the "offset" of the mount to move the scope farther forward, but if it works for you like this, it works!
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks good OP.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I was expecting it to have holes machined into it all over.

Movie had so many plot holes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#21]
You have made my day.  My friends and I have been talking about this Beverly idea for too long.  As many pics and details as you're willing to share would be appreciated.

I really was thinking about doing a rattle can white.  Why do you say you would have a pro do cerekote? Personally the white flaking off is kinda what I want it to look like.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

First thing I saw too
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

First thing I saw too
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First thing I saw too

yes
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Everyone is always quick to say how Nikon scope mounts are backwards.

The mounts themselves clearly say in the packaging that they are meant to be able to be mounted both directions, and for certain scopes and guns one direction will work better than the other.

When I put the 3X carbine scope on my first ar15, I had the p-mounts.  One was "forward" and the other was "backward" (as it said you may do in the directions), and it allowed me to place the scope perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Actually now that I go back and look (have since replaced the scope), both mounts were "backwards".

But it was a short scope and by doing so I got perfect placement on my rifle, and the mounts are clearly designed to be used in that way if needed.

It sucks because of the internet snobs, every time I posted a photo I had to toss out that disclaimer.

And here we are with a cool stormtrooper photo and right away people have to get snobby about his scope mounts... lol

http://www.defeatingpropaganda.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/first-ar-nikon-scope.jpg
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Easy there -- look at the last photo compared to your photo. One of these things is not like the others. No biggie. Nice build!
View Quote

One of the comments said the scope itself was mounted backwards which is what I was addressing. A cantilevered scope mount, like the Primary Arms I have on this gun, does not have a right or wrong way. Most rifle applications will set it forward but, in my case, I needed it moved back past the rear of the rail.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
http://i65.tinypic.com/hwxpnp.jpg
Nikon Force XR 2x20 EER
View Quote

You know it is unacceptable to shoot anything but tracers out of that, right?

It is also sacrilegious to hit anything you are aiming at...
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:34:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

One of the comments said the scope itself was mounted backwards which is what I was addressing. A cantilevered scope mount, like the Primary Arms I have on this gun, does not have a right or wrong way. Most rifle applications will set it forward but, in my case, I needed it moved back past the rear of the rail.
View Quote
I meant the mount. My bad
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:10:50 AM EDT
[#29]
That is a super-cool looking set up and I bet you put a lot of work into making that look so damn good.  I am really impressed by the pistol and everything you did and especially, the idea behind it.

Do you shoot it, or is it mainly for display so as not to scratch or chip the finish?  I would be afraid to damage that cool looking weapon.  You said you don't use the cheek weld, how do you shoot it?
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Actually now that I go back and look (have since replaced the scope), both mounts were "backwards".

But it was a short scope and by doing so I got perfect placement on my rifle, and the mounts are clearly designed to be used in that way if needed.

It sucks because of the internet snobs, every time I posted a photo I had to toss out that disclaimer.

And here we are with a cool stormtrooper photo and right away people have to get snobby about his scope mounts... lol

http://www.defeatingpropaganda.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/first-ar-nikon-scope.jpg
View Quote

God, right? Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You know it is unacceptable to shoot anything but tracers out of that, right?

It is also sacrilegious to hit anything you are aiming at...
View Quote

Hehe. .300 Blackout ammo is expensive enough - I can't image what tracers cost.

And those First Order troopers look like their aim had improved slightly ;)
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You have made my day.  My friends and I have been talking about this Beverly idea for too long.  As many pics and details as you're willing to share would be appreciated.

I really was thinking about doing a rattle can white.  Why do you say you would have a pro do cerekote? Personally the white flaking off is kinda what I want it to look like.
View Quote

The white Durakote did not cover well like the black Durakote does. The white was also runny compared to the black. Durakote goes on thicker than Cerakote and is not as strong (though stronger than rattle can paint). Both Durakote and Cerakote are epoxy finishes but Cerakote, when done professionally, gets baked on and is much more durable. If you want a gun with that used look, rattle can is probably ok to use. You could spray it then weather it, either by strategic light sanding or dry brushing acrylic paint to achieve the look. I prefer the painted wear method - you can also add grime by layering different shades of brown/red/gray/etc. Water the acrylic paint down, spray it on and then wipe it off, leaving "grime" in the crevices. Looks very legit. That's how the Hollywood pros weather props. And acrylic hobby paint is dirt cheap at Walmart (pun intended).
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That is a super-cool looking set up and I bet you put a lot of work into making that look so damn good.  I am really impressed by the pistol and everything you did and especially, the idea behind it.

Do you shoot it, or is it mainly for display so as not to scratch or chip the finish?  I would be afraid to damage that cool looking weapon.  You said you don't use the cheek weld, how do you shoot it?
View Quote

Thanks for the kinds words I do shoot it and it is my favorite gun to shoot right now because it's just so unique and fun. It's so much easier to shoot accurately than I thought an AR pistol would be. That Nikon scope is sweet. I shoot it with my left hand on the mag well. I'd say my arms are 3/4 extended to get the right eye relief. It's light enough that it's a fairly stable way to shoot it. I think if I was wearing stormtrooper armor it would look like the correct shooting form :)

Regarding the paint finish, the casing deflector is the first thing to get dinged of course. I may at some point have the white finishes redone professionally. The black First Order symbol on the mag well is a vinyl decal that a guy on etsy made to order for me - 3 for $4. Easily replaced.

I also have a live fire E-11 stormtrooper blaster that I built prior to this and it was so much fun to build I just had to do another project like that.
https://kqlfeg-bn1305.files.1drv.com/y3mqZ6j_H9ewLC4sqhAnTFPVlaKAq-VoEbNZY3cImH_jYJOcbqmUur83T5DOYj2JP5CRLWipGBVPm1pdrCN4Y5rv_pp9ukSnELy5l4xPVVjgW9oo0QfziW6XAsEHnWD7y93qPTR3w4T0gTw0Jwn-SHNspc3dELdiF6Mnp1Og4enUH0?width=3264&height=2448&cropmode=none
https://qdrinq-bn1305.files.1drv.com/y3mlBBgIAl6AhjKDu4ORTzn__WfgFYJOjWjAhiTLyPzfT8wFGYNDSNNvQr6jpd5VgeQYAYk0KQFej7Gh-za8xvX0a9Agb5DHqymK3-8Hx4skbGTil7aZLNkE4iKdQz906B_yNTkXwHG63Qy_u3dvYDTHHWbD9jObz9MGrDE5A3uXo4?width=3264&height=2448&cropmode=none
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#34]
To be accurate, needs windshield wipers in the handguard.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#36]
You don't have to be into Star Wars to appreciate your work. Very nice.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You don't have to be into Star Wars to appreciate your work. Very nice.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Isn't that supposed to be that way? Since when does a Stormtrooper ever hit their target

Nice pistol OP, I am digging these Star Wars themes. Might have to try it out.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Sweet build OP
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:49:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Bet its hard to get a cheek weld wearing that helmet.  I think it looks cool.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:36:18 AM EDT
[#41]
May the force be with you!
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thanks for the kinds words I do shoot it and it is my favorite gun to shoot right now because it's just so unique and fun. It's so much easier to shoot accurately than I thought an AR pistol would be. That Nikon scope is sweet. I shoot it with my left hand on the mag well. I'd say my arms are 3/4 extended to get the right eye relief. It's light enough that it's a fairly stable way to shoot it. I think if I was wearing stormtrooper armor it would look like the correct shooting form :)

Regarding the paint finish, the casing deflector is the first thing to get dinged of course. I may at some point have the white finishes redone professionally. The black First Order symbol on the mag well is a vinyl decal that a guy on etsy made to order for me - 3 for $4. Easily replaced.

I also have a live fire E-11 stormtrooper blaster that I built prior to this and it was so much fun to build I just had to do another project like that.
https://kqlfeg-bn1305.files.1drv.com/y3mqZ6j_H9ewLC4sqhAnTFPVlaKAq-VoEbNZY3cImH_jYJOcbqmUur83T5DOYj2JP5CRLWipGBVPm1pdrCN4Y5rv_pp9ukSnELy5l4xPVVjgW9oo0QfziW6XAsEHnWD7y93qPTR3w4T0gTw0Jwn-SHNspc3dELdiF6Mnp1Og4enUH0?width=3264&height=2448&cropmode=none
https://qdrinq-bn1305.files.1drv.com/y3mlBBgIAl6AhjKDu4ORTzn__WfgFYJOjWjAhiTLyPzfT8wFGYNDSNNvQr6jpd5VgeQYAYk0KQFej7Gh-za8xvX0a9Agb5DHqymK3-8Hx4skbGTil7aZLNkE4iKdQz906B_yNTkXwHG63Qy_u3dvYDTHHWbD9jObz9MGrDE5A3uXo4?width=3264&height=2448&cropmode=none
View Quote

Both of your builds look awesome OP. Thanks for sharing! Is the E11 based on the Sten?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#43]
It must be a generation thing and I'm getting old. I read "Stormtrooper Inspired" in the thread title and thought you built an AR pistol that looked like a Nazi Sturmgewehr STG-44. Some one get me a diaper.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It must be a generation thing and I'm getting old. I read "Stormtrooper Inspired" in the thread title and thought you built an AR pistol that looked like a Nazi Sturmgewehr STG-44. Some one get me a diaper.
View Quote

You too?

I do like the gun tho.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:26:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Both of your builds look awesome OP. Thanks for sharing! Is the E11 based on the Sten?
View Quote

Based on the Sterling L2A3 sub machine gun
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top