Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/1/2016 9:31:03 PM EDT
Decided to build one last AR...my 1st pistol.
I know I dont have to have a lower that is marked "pistol", but would prefer to use one that is marked as such.
Can any of you knowledgeable folks point me in the direction of  a vendor that sells them?

eta...trying to fix my avatar now...
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=iw755juu0i00zk8a02gtd&mi=13601&url=http%3A%2F%2Faeroprecisionusa.com%2Far15-stripped-lower-pistol-marked.html

That price is kinda high, but they sell blems fairly often.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I know Anderson sells a pistol marked lower, but finding one in stock somewhere will be the hard part.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, I saw the aero and the andersons but at $105 for the aero and the andersons OOS, was hoping the hive knew about another source.
I ordered a lpk from ALG on black friday, and the GF got me a shockwave kit for Christmas, saw it in the mail the other day so the build has to happen now!
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Out of stock.....post deleted
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#5]
ask around if there is a  local gunsmith who has a laser engraver, most well equipped  07s will have a laser engraver and  just have him  engraved PISTOL on your stripped lower. it shouldn't cost that much to do  that kind of simple work. especially since it isn't a complicated design

anyway, that is a option,  instead of hunting around for a AR15 lower with PISTOL already engraved

the local gunsmith I know has what looks like a copy machine, he does a lot of work engraving pictures/logo/writing on the blank side of AR mag well, from a library of pictures etc... on his computer

THE best option is to do what 99.9 percent of the folks do, just buy a stripped lower and just "build"  that as a pistol with no PISTOL engraving on it. since it is not a requirement to do that. save the bucks you would have thrown away  on that toward something better, like putting that money toward a upper,  ammo etc....
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen Anderson PISTOL marked stripped lowers for sale from AIM Surplus at least a couple times in the last year or so.  I got one last winter and built it out (my first) to have it ready for the spring shooting season.  Seems like a nice lower, took all the parts easily enough and I'm very happy with the result.

You have to jump on it when you get the 'back in stock' notification.  They go quickly.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Try "R Guns".

Decent price and availability.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Good luck finding that lower, they are few and far between simply because the one or two states that require them tend to buy them all up. Other than that, it's market dynamics - most pistol builders know it won't make any legal difference whatsoever. You can buy a stripped lower marked pistol, build it into a rifle first, and suffer the consequences if it is later remade into a pistol. "Pistol" engraving means nothing.

If someone wants to question you about it they do so because they think they have more authority than you, which is why pistol owners get thrown off ranges if they so much as hold the gun cheekwelding it. Whatever is marked on the lower won't stop them from being jerks. You have to deal with them in their natural habitat, kind of like badgers or female bears. Unfortunately, only the latter two can be shot for it.

Spending the extra $50 and jumping thru hoops to find a pistol marked lower is up to the individual. I've found rollmarks to be an aesthetic issue in these days where lowers are a commodity and most come off the same machines and CNC mills. If anything I avoid the more well known names because popularity drives up the price - and you get very little to nothing in return.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good luck finding that lower, they are few and far between simply because the one or two states that require them tend to buy them all up. ...
View Quote

No state requires that. Or ever has.

- OS
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I would not hesitate to use an Anderson, if I can find one.
Basically this a bump, still looking, Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I was thinking Michigan did at one time, could be wrong. Goes to the idea they are supposed to be marked at all - looking into it old posts from 5-6 years back it was a commonly accepted idea - but absent the actual names of states that required it. Spent a half hour looking on line and nada.

However, in states where other laws apply, if the lower is market Pistol then their CCW apply as if it was, and the buyer may be required to provide his CCW license, too. NC for one. And because a stripped lower can be built into a pistol it's had an impact on out of state sales. Handguns are an instate FFL event only.

The point being that the "Pistol" marking does no good and in some cases only causes increased costs and further legal requirements. If all that is being done is to inform an LEO what the legal status of the gun is in a stop, it goes to why he stopped. The gun stored either as a pistol under the applicable CCW laws, or as a firearm under the anti poaching restrictions is what needs to be complied with. Cops don't know all there is to be known about ATF regulations but since many also train with SBR's and possess M16's locked in the trunk it's not always best to "inform" them of anything. In point of fact you are generally advised by legal defense experts just listen, answer questions directly and be polite. Not so much "Officer you don't know what you are looking at."

Won't do you any good on a range you shoot at where the Range Officer is dead set on chasing you off. We had plenty of those reports post Brace ban.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was thinking Michigan did at one time, could be wrong. Goes to the idea they are supposed to be marked at all - looking into it old posts from 5-6 years back it was a commonly accepted idea - but absent the actual names of states that required it. Spent a half hour looking on line and nada.

View Quote

You won't find it 'cause pistol marking requirement never existed in any state, not even Kali or other states where there are registration requirements (as in MI too).

MI had or still has (haven't kept up) quirky stuff about 26" limit for handguns (or it becomes SBR even without a stock or some such), and how both they and rifles are measured for OAL,  which differs from ATF standard.

- OS
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:45:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know Anderson sells a pistol marked lower, but finding one in stock somewhere will be the hard part.
View Quote

I got one from AIM a while back.   Jumped as soon as I got the "in stock" e-mail.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top