Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/23/2016 12:47:23 PM EDT
Hey all, first time poster here. Been a "gun nut" for a long time but just now getting into the whole build process. My buddy is a gunsmith and has put together a PSA 9mm 5.5" pistol for me that is Glock compatible. I don't have/need/like Glocks. I want to feed it from my XD mags. They load and drop free with very little modification, but the lower feed angle has rounds hitting below the chamber. Can we add a feed ramp to direct them up and in? Anyone tried this?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#2]
It'll catch anywhere you slot the magazine. That's not an issue. Problem is, as you said, adding a ramp of some sort that won't interfere with the bolt. It wouldn't have to go all the way to the chamber necessarily, just direct the round upward enough to get where it needs to be.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Your problem may be the infamous Glock "grip angle".  That's the angle of the magazine.  The XD, IIRC, has a steeper grip angle.  That may be why your rounds are hitting.  Might have to do a lot of modification to the mag well.

Alternatively, you could buy the new Wilson AR9, in one of their non-Glock models, and start there.  If XD mags will fit into a Beretta or S&W magwell, one of those two models might work.

Or you could just get a MechTech and mount it on your XD, done.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, think I'll go with plan B - try the Colt lower, which is closer to a 1911 grip angle. Will let you know if it works. I know there are other XD owners out there who don't want to go buy a Glock just to have interchangeable magazines! ;)
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Uh, the Colt lower uses modified Uzi mags, which are vertical.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#6]
What did I just read?
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#7]
You already have a PSA 9mm AR pistol that takes $13 30 round  Glock mags and you're going to modify it to use XD mags instead of just buying 6 ETS mags for your PSA.........

Theres a reason Glock mags became the defacto alternative to Colt pattern mags for 9mm ARs, they work and they're available.

You could make a  Colt style mag block to use XD mags in a standard AR lower but between your time, R&D, and materials I'm guessing you could buy some ETS mags for the PSA you have and pay for a COLT pattern PSA also with a couple mags with the money you would have earned working instead of developing a XD -AR magazine block.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Uh, the Colt lower uses modified Uzi mags, which are vertical.
View Quote

The 6 Uzi mags I have don't work for shit in the Colt platform.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#9]
That's hard to believe, unless the Colt mag catches are cut wrong.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's hard to believe, unless the Colt mag catches are cut wrong.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Or the springs are worn out, Ive got a batch of surplus Galil mags that need new springs in them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I apologize for my ignorance on the matter. I didn't realize Colt meant Uzi mags. I know that now. And it looks like you all were right. Too much hassle to convert to XD. My whole reason for trying, though, was to have a pistol and a pistol caliber AR that would share mags. I solved this problem by, um, buying a Glock. Lol  As for the XD, it now has a friend in the form of a Beretta compatible Kel Tec Sub2000. Just cut new catches and the mags are interchangeable.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:34:02 AM EDT
[#12]
SUB-2000s are always a good answer.  Let's see the SUB murse!
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top