Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2016 1:45:45 PM EDT
Using a PSA pistol lower, how long should barrel length be?

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#1]
my pistol with a 7 inch barrel + A2 flash hider is under 26 inches, that is with the KAK SUPER SIG SB-15 Pistol Buffer Tube, don't know what your length of buffer tube is. but if it it not more then 8.5 inches,  measured from the back of the lower receiver to the end of the tube, you will be good for under 26 inches
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#2]
If Ohio adheres to federal standard, meaning that muzzle device doesn't count unless permanently affixed, a 10.5" barrel with standard length buffer tube like that will be under the 26".

- OS
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If Ohio adheres to federal standard, meaning that muzzle device doesn't count unless permanently affixed, a 10.5" barrel with standard length buffer tube like that will be under the 26".

View Quote

he's "making"  a pistol, ohio, like the feds,  has no law standard, etc..... regarding how long or short a pistol barrel is, with or without a muzzle attachment.  permanently or not permanently attached

he's asking how short a barrel he can get to make the pistol OAL under 26 inches. which, I told him, 7 inches. I adding the FH to the  OAL  because I would think he would want to put one on his  pistol. instead of just a naked barrel.

my pistol with a 7inch barrel and a standard A2  FH, with the KAK SUPER SIG SB-15 Pistol Buffer Tube attached (8.5 inches) .  the OAL is exactly 25 inches. which I  is what the OP is wanting to "make", a pistol with a OAL of less then 26 inches.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 3:13:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

he's "making"  a pistol, ohio, like the feds,  has no law regarding how long or short a pistol barrel is, with or without a muzzle attachment.  permanently or not permanently attached

he's asking how short a barrel he can get to make the pistol OAL under 26 inches. which, I told him, 7 inches. I adding the FH to the  OAL  because I would think he would want to put one on his  pistol. instead of just a naked barrel.

my pistol with a 7inch barrel and a standard A2  FH, with the KAK SUPER SIG SB-15 Pistol Buffer Tube attached (8.5 inches) .  the OAL is exactly 25 inches. which I believe is what the OP is wanting to "make"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

he's "making"  a pistol, ohio, like the feds,  has no law regarding how long or short a pistol barrel is, with or without a muzzle attachment.  permanently or not permanently attached

my pistol with a 7inch barrel and a standard A2  FH, with the KAK SUPER SIG SB-15 Pistol Buffer Tube attached (8.5 inches) .  the OAL is exactly 25 inches. which I believe is what the OP is wanting to "make"

Okay, my bad. I assumed there was some legal reason he cared, and since he shows Ohio, thought it had to do with his state law.

So then my question is, OP, why do you care?

- OS
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Okay, my bad. I assumed there was some legal reason he cared, and since he shows Ohio, thought it had to do with his state law.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

- OS

Ohio carry permit specifies pistol. Isn't a pistol larger than 26"oal then just considered a "firearm"?
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ohio carry permit specifies pistol. Isn't a pistol larger than 26"oal then just considered a "firearm"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

- OS

Thought it might be something like that.

The answer is no. Under federal rulings, the "firearm" designation comes into play with a 26" or more handgun only when a vertical forward grip is attached. And reverts to "handgun" when the VFG is removed.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The answer is no. Under federal rulings, the "firearm" designation comes into play with a 26" or more handgun only when a vertical forward grip is attached. And reverts to "handgun" when the VFG is removed.

- OS

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- OS

- OS

- OS

This.

OP, there is no need to maintain an OAL under 26" in Ohio to be considered a "handgun".  Ohio law defines a "handgun" as:

(C) "Handgun" means any of the following:

(1) Any firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand;

(2) Any combination of parts from which a firearm of a type described in division (C)(1) of this section can be assembled.

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

- OS

Look in your state law definitions.  BATF is federal.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:44:40 PM EDT
[#10]

I'm thinking something very similar to this.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#11]
11" or less  barrel should make it under 26"
I have an  AR pistol with 11 1/2" barrel and Phase 5 pistol buffer tube it measures 25 15/16" without muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 1:03:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm thinking something very similar to this.

https://i.imgur.com/BCdsuhN.jpg
View All Quotes

Do you like your hearing as it is?  That thing would be brutal without good earpro.

I was shocked at how much less blast and general noise my 8.5" 300BLK had compared to a friend's X95...he was too actually.

I have 3 11.5"-12.5" 5.56 SBR's and they are rather loud.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do you like your hearing as it is?  That thing would be brutal without good earpro.

I was shocked at how much less blast and general noise my 8.5" 300BLK had compared to a friend's X95...he was too actually.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/wqis2o6yrajqb5n/2016-10-04 21.50.19.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So, double up with plugs and muffs? My 14.5 with Rainier Arms rac really barks too. Will the 7" throw some good fireballs?
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#14]
With my lower with a PSA tube my 11.5" barreled pistol was 26 1/4" without the muzzle device.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So, double up with plugs and muffs? My 14.5 with Rainier Arms rac really barks too. Will the 7" throw some good fireballs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would double up just like I do on my 14" 308 with a pinned brake.  Even with doubled earpro I honestly hate shooting that rifle.

If there is ever a chance you may have to shoot without earpro I would rethink going with the 7" barrel.  I have shot a 16" 5.56 in a concrete room once without earpro and it SUCKED!  I can't even imagine what a 7" would be like
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can't even imagine what a 7" would be like
View Quote

it's awesomely LOUD! and when I change out the FH to a AK74 brake made to thread on the AR threads, it's even LOUDER!!!!!!!!

and the  fire ball coming  from the front and sides of the brake,  just makes it that much better

you don't need to spend 200 buks for a tax to make it as loud as you can
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

it's awesomely LOUD! and when I change out the FH to a AK74 brake made to thread on the AR threads, it's even LOUDER!!!!!!!!

and the  fire ball coming  from the front and sides of the brake,  just makes it that much better
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't even imagine what a 7" would be like

Sorry but loud is stupid and you can't fix hearing damage.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sorry but loud is stupid and you can't fix hearing damage.
View Quote

that is why they invented hearing protection
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#19]
" />

The Kaw Valley linear compensator really works.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:36:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww172/bomber_man_jj/IMG_20161128_201030.jpg</a>" />

The Kaw Valley linear compensator really works.
View Quote

Yes they do.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top