Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2016 11:59:56 AM EDT
I went to the gun show to buy one of these for my AR pistol. I do have a regular pistol buffer tube, but the vendor told me I needed to buy a whole kit, with the "official" KAK buffer tube which has small indents spaced 1/4" apart. He said this is so the set screw in the brace can get a better grip on the tube so the brace will not slide. He said if I used my tube, the set screw could not firmly hold the brace in place, & it would "move around". Had I known this before I bought my buffer assy, I would have bought the whole kit. But I don't feel like throwing away a perfectly good pistol tube/buffer assy. So is this guy just blowing smoke? Will the blade work with my regular pistol tube?  GARY
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested to hear answers on this as well.

From what I've read, it works best with the dimpled buffer tube but can fit over any standard pistol tube. I'm planning on dimpling my tube myself with a drill or adding some grip tape before I set the brace. Or both
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Drill a hole in yours to use as a set spot. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine (standard mil-spec tube) is a tight press fit.

I don't even need the set screw.

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Easy enough to drill your own dimple and it will hold just fine.  My KAK super tube allowed for a bit of slop, One wrap of friction tape and a quick dimpling job and it's not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#5]
No need to drill. The set screw is pointed and makes its own dimple and will work perfectly well on any tube it fits on. I have a PSA pistol tube that has a shockwave brace and it works just as well as the KAK tubes I have.

That dealer is full of shit, I would not buy from him purely out of principle for trying to cheat you.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm skeptical that you either have a milspec pistol tube (since the military doesn't use AR pistols, there isn't a spec for them) or are fitting a shockwave onto an actual milspec carbine buffer tube without doing SERIOUS modifications to the brace.

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Ive used the Shockwave on both. Both work, the KAK tube for Shockwave just works a little bit better with the indents. Sounds like the guy was trying to "Salesman" you a bit there. When I used a Shockwave on a non-KAK tube it worked just fine, but did make its own small indent in the basic pistol buffer tube. So the bottom line is that it up to you (but the KAK tube is not a "need" for the brace). On a side note I found a place online that has the Shockwave Brace with KAK tube (no buffer spring, buffer, castle nut or end plate) for 52$ (like 59$ shipped).
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#8]
The holes are more less a guide. I have. Several blades and all are on regular tubes. I think the blade actually would lock on better with a regular tube because you punch your own hole into thicker material.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm skeptical that you either have a milspec pistol tube (since the military doesn't use AR pistols, there isn't a spec for them) or are fitting a shockwave onto an actual milspec carbine buffer tube without doing SERIOUS modifications to the brace.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?

I have a lower that was transferred to me as 'Other.'  I put a Mil-spec buffer tube on it.  (Here's a link to a Brownell's page with dozens of them for sale.)

It has a short barrel.

Thus, it's an AR-15 pistol with a Mil-Spec buffer (retaining) tube - with a Shockwave pushed on to it (and the foam tube that covers it.)  Sorry if not mentioning the foam tube made it confusing.

But still, your comment that there are no Mil-Spec tubes for AR-15 pistols is incorrect.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Huh?

I have a lower that was transferred to me as 'Other.'  I put a Mil-spec buffer tube on it.  (Here's a link to a Brownell's page with dozens of them for sale.)

It has a short barrel.

Thus, it's an AR-15 pistol with a Mil-Spec buffer (retaining) tube - with a Shockwave pushed on to it (and the foam tube that covers it.)  Sorry if not mentioning the foam tube made it confusing.

But still, your comment that there are no Mil-Spec tubes for AR-15 pistols is incorrect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

It has a short barrel.

Please explain how you got the round hole of the Shockwave

onto this (mil spec buffer tube from your page link), and also with a foam tube over it too!

There is some major disconnect in what you are claiming, seems.

Daggertt is absolutely correct. The only AR buffer tubes for which there is a military specification are for carbine and rifle. The fact that you can legally use them on a pistol config does not change what they are designed for, nor their correct nomenclature.

There is no mil spec for the round receiver extensions commonly known as "pistol tubes", that's why the actual OD lengths and diameters vary so much between manufacturers. There is not even an "industry spec" as there is with the commercial carbine tube variation.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.rainierarms.com/media/product/c30/kak-shockwave-blade-pistol-stabilizer-black-kak-black-by-kak-industries-color-black-2d6.jpg

onto this (mil spec buffer tube from your page link), and also with a foam tube over it too!

http://cdn-us-ec.yottaa.net/53ff2f503c881650e20004c9/www.brownells.com/v~13.67/userdocs/skus/p_231000243_1.jpg?yocs=p_&yoloc=us

Daggertt is absolutely correct. The only AR buffer tubes for which there is a military specification are for carbine and rifle. The fact that you can legally use them on a pistol config does not change what they are designed for, nor their correct nomenclature.

There is no mil spec for the round receiver extensions commonly known as "pistol tubes", that's why the actual OD lengths and diameters vary so much between manufacturers. There is not even an "industry spec" as there is with the commercial carbine tube variation.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

It has a short barrel.

https://www.rainierarms.com/media/product/c30/kak-shockwave-blade-pistol-stabilizer-black-kak-black-by-kak-industries-color-black-2d6.jpg

http://cdn-us-ec.yottaa.net/53ff2f503c881650e20004c9/www.brownells.com/v~13.67/userdocs/skus/p_231000243_1.jpg?yocs=p_&yoloc=us

- OS

Maybe he used a rifle length buffer tube? I dunno honestly.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

It has a short barrel.

- OS

What he said ^

Or did you grind down a car tube, in which case, you can control the friction fit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What he said ^

Or did you grind down a car tube, in which case, you can control the friction fit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?

It has a short barrel.

- OS

What he said ^

Maybe I'm totally wrong about this.  Maybe it is a pistol tube.  Sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#14]
When dimpling the standard pistol tube with the Blade screw (without drilling a dimple), will it deform the inside of the tube?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can fit it over a milspec (non pistol) buffer tube?
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been down this road myself.  I put a KAK Shockwave on a standard tube.  I tightened it down to the point where I thought it would hold without damaging the tube.  I was wrong on both counts.  It wasn't tight enough to hold firm while shooting and it still dimpled then gouged the tube.  Not to mention putting quite a damper on the range session.  I've since purchased the KAK buffer tube that has the extra structure to hold the brace properly.  
I probably could have tightened the screw further, but I was trying to minimize the inner-diameter deformation.  Creating a bunch of imprecise bubba-holes on the bottom of my buffer tube doesn't seem like the right answer for sturdiness, longevity, or adjustability.  YMMV.  Any new builds will include the KAK tube from the beginning.  If they cost $250 each, I might try to do without, but at under $50 it's a no-brainer to me.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top