Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2016 12:46:25 AM EDT
I am building my first AR. I am going to use a suppressor (sig 556 qd)

I have the following so far:

1. PSA pistol lower
2. aero precision completed enhanced upper
3. Faxon 11.5 Big Gunner 5.56 barrel.

I want to purchase my bolt and gas block next. Is combining the Gemtech suppressed bolt and the Superlative Arms adjustable gas block a good idea? Or am I buying two separate things that do the same thing in theory and thus I am over complicating things or creating something that may not be as reliable?

I just want to know what would be the bolt and gas block you would buy if you were going to suppress this pistol?

Thanks for reading
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Man you read my mind, I was thinking the same thing.  I have an 11.5" DI with the Gemtech suppressed bolt carrier.  I was thinking about the same Piston kit to make cleanup easier.  My thoughts are probably I won't need the suppressed bolt carrier AND the adjustable gas block.  I think too much gas would bleed off and then would not cycle the bolt.  I think I will go with a standard BCG and the SA Piston kit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I could be wrong, but this is my understanding of the gemtech bcg and really any adjustable gas block:

The BCG has an "On/Off" switch so that you can switch from normal gas flow to reduced flow for suppressor use. I don't think it's adjustable, just on/off.

Adjustable gas blocks allow you to tune your gas flow, but they aren't as quick to adjust. Who wants to go "can on, turn screw in five turns, can off, turn screw out five turns". Set it and forget it.

So yes, they achieve the same basic ends (reduced gas flow in the BCG) through different means. Using them together allows for a greater amount of tuning (basically lowing the gas flow to allow the bho to latch reliably in cold weather) but why? Unless you plan on shooting a mixed schedule of suppressed and unsuppressed I don't see any reason to buy the gemtech bcg. Leave the can on, tune your block for your preferred ammo, and go shoot.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want the ability to tune and switch from suppressed to unsuppressed quickly I would look at the Micro MOA Govnah.

http://micromoa.com/govnah-gas-blocks/
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 1:46:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a plan. I 5hink ill go that way too.
Thanks

Posted: Yesterday 5:31:17 AM PST
Man you read my mind, I was thinking the same thing. I have an 11.5" DI with the Gemtech suppressed bolt carrier. I was thinking about the same Piston kit to make cleanup easier. My thoughts are probably I won't need the suppressed bolt carrier AND the adjustable gas block. I think too much gas would bleed off and then would not cycle the bolt. I think I will go with a standard BCG and the SA Piston kit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 1:47:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could be wrong, but this is my understanding of the gemtech bcg and really any adjustable gas block:

The BCG has an "On/Off" switch so that you can switch from normal gas flow to reduced flow for suppressor use. I don't think it's adjustable, just on/off.

Adjustable gas blocks allow you to tune your gas flow, but they aren't as quick to adjust. Who wants to go "can on, turn screw in five turns, can off, turn screw out five turns". Set it and forget it.

So yes, they achieve the same basic ends (reduced gas flow in the BCG) through different means. Using them together allows for a greater amount of tuning (basically lowing the gas flow to allow the bho to latch reliably in cold weather) but why? Unless you plan on shooting a mixed schedule of suppressed and unsuppressed I don't see any reason to buy the gemtech bcg. Leave the can on, tune your block for your preferred ammo, and go shoot.
View Quote

Great reply. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#6]
No need to use an adjustable gas block and and adjustable BCG. With the BCG set to suppressed you'll need to open the gas block all the way up (or very close to it) to allow enough gas to the BCG for it to function. You only need to limit gas volume at one point in your gun, doing both will either create new problems or at a minimum you'll spend premium money on a part that could have been standard. Just pick one of the two to be adjustable and save money on the other. I've been running the SLR Sentry 7 on my suppressed SBR builds with great success. I don't run them unsuppressed so I don't worry about changing the settings. If I was switching between suppressed and unsuppressed for some reason I may go for the Govnah, but I don't see the point in owning a can and not using it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No need to use an adjustable gas block and and adjustable BCG. With the BCG set to suppressed you'll need to open the gas block all the way up (or very close to it) to allow enough gas to the BCG for it to function. You only need to limit gas volume at one point in your gun, doing both will either create new problems or at a minimum you'll spend premium money on a part that could have been standard. Just pick one of the two to be adjustable and save money on the other. I've been running the SLR Sentry 7 on my suppressed SBR builds with great success. I don't run them unsuppressed so I don't worry about changing the settings. If I was switching between suppressed and unsuppressed for some reason I may go for the Govnah, but I don't see the point in owning a can and not using it.
View Quote

You bring up a good point about having a can and not using it.  However, more recently I've been keeping a couple of my AR's in two of my vehicles.  They're not visible and they're fully, securely locked down but can be accessed fairly quickly if needed.  In that situation I don't want my can on either one due to easily being able to remove the can even though the gun is probably incapable of being removed in most reasonable theft circumstances.  I could probably successfully hide the can elsewhere in the vehicle, but it all brings complication that I probably won't need if I have to actually deploy either gun.

I use these two particular AR's because of their size and the fact that they seem to have no discernible POI shift with/without the can within their effective range...the guns being 10.5" and 11.5" AR's.  In a case like this it's nice having gas control when I shoot either gun with/without the suppressor.  I'm using a Rubber City gas key in one and a Seekins AGB in the other.  I agree, if you're going to adjust gas in an AR, there's probably not much sense in having both belt and suspenders with two gas control methods on one rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top