Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2016 2:14:00 PM EDT
Regardless of cost, what is the shortest pistol-only buffer tube you can buy right now? Fine with custom BCGs etc...just need to know what the shortest option is that isn't a collapsible/folding rifle stock set up...
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Might check this out.

Dead foot pistol
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#2]
awesome, I was aware of their folding rifle stock set up, but didn't know they had a pistol one also. Thanks much!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Rock River Arms AR   LAR-PDS Pistols? With a choice of .223/5.56mm  or .300 Blackout
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=415   I would suggest getting the railed model and not the cheaper rubber weird  grip.  

No buffer tube at all. The internals are different, so the rear of the receiver has a rail like the Sig MPX and KAK makes an adapter if you need a brace. Then if you latter choose to SBR it,  you don't have a buffer going in the extension and/or hinge, so you can fire it with the stock folded.  Sig comparisons can be seen at http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/07/review-sb-tacticals-new-collapsing-sig-mpx-brace/   I know you are looking for something that isn't a collapsible and/or folding stock, just wanted to throw future options out there to consider.

That is the shortest option. Flat back of the receivers with a quick disconnect hole with  a rail section.

After that,  there are the collapsible systems that use special buffers and  springs, and/or some with springs in captured spring designs.

A 4 inch model
http://www.gunsmokeenterprises.net/product.sc?productId=5&categoryId=2
found from this thread
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_39/503097_An_AR_15_andamp_quot_Michigan_Pistolandamp_quot_.html
 I know it doesn't seem to fit but the advice in there crosses over. The  Link above is updated from that thread for the part source. There are now multiple generations/versions.

MVB MPK (Micro Pistol Kit) - Complete Buffer Tube System is 4 7/8" inches

While the upper end comes around
Phase 5's AR Pistol  buffer and tube  at 7 3/8 inches.

Unless you want to count the length of the A1 & A2 Stock Receiver Extensions to make the size reduction look even better.

There are a couple of collapsible stocks that you could just use the buffer tube and remove the stock pieces but with  the prices around $300.00 -$500.00, that  cost might not be worth the savings in length.  

Staying closer to mil spec with just special Buffer Tube, BCG,  and Spring cuts down about 3 inches. While buying the other non mil spec design drops 7 inches. Which may lead to problems down the road for parts that wear out. No one  thinks about springs and other spare replacement parts needs  15+  years down the road for  the special designs. Staying away from RRA & Sig  special designs allow the going back to regular longer carbine buffer & receiver extensions systems, if you can't get parts.

edited from above The Dead Foot Arms AR pistol kit option is a  2.55" MCS Buffer tube , so that gets you down( or is it up?)  to a 5 inch  reduction in length.

similar thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/702847_Looking_for_a_short_buffer_tube_.html
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The RRA PDS would be an option if they had ever engineered one that would work with regular AR lowers. That knocks then off the list.

I'll check out the other options though, dead is currently sold out of pistol kits...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Take a look at Rock River LAR PDS, . . . it's all done above the barrel.

May God bless,
Dwight
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take a look at Rock River LAR PDS, . . . it's all done above the barrel.

May God bless,
Dwight
View Quote

The LAR PDS lower, does not have a buffer tube(receiver extension) threaded cut out. Instead it has a solid rear with a hole for the hex bolt to pass through(similar to UZI but reversed for the side of the nut) , that fastens into a MS1913 rail on the rear receiver adapter. The Rifle version uses the same configuration & design but comes with a folding collapsible stock hinge that accepts all AR-15/M-16 mil spec receiver extensions(buffer tubes) for attachment but do notallow a normal buffer  and/or bolt carrier group (BCG) to cycle through the area. Unlike most AR family lower receivers.  You can have both the pistol and rifle for a matching pair if you want similar functioning weapons. I highly suggest paying more for the metal  rail fore end than the weird rubber grip, that looks like the old bicycle mushroom style hand grips.

Off topic but
Why is the buffer tube considered a lower part when it mainly interacts with upper? It rises up from and is attached to the lower receiver but the upper receiver parts function in the attachment hardware.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The RRA PDS would be an option if they had ever engineered one that would work with regular AR lowers. That knocks then off the list.

I'll check out the other options though, dead is currently sold out of pistol kits...

View Quote

It will work with regular lowers if you make a custom plug and add a high impact
plastic bumper.  All the receiver plugs on the market are too short AFAIK.

Problem is, RRA won't sell the upper by itself.

So unless you find one that just happens to be for sale in the EE you're SOL.  I got lucky and finally put it on
a lower I had set aside over six years prior.

The GEN1, GSE system is cheap enough if you want to tinker around with one and it uses 1911 springs as the
recoil spring.  Those are plentiful, affordable and available in all kinds of rates.  The stock one is 18.5lbs IRRC.
I built a pistol with it and an Adams Arms Piston kit and it runs just fine.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It will work with regular lowers if you make a custom plug and add a high impact

So unless you find one that just happens to be for sale in the EE you're SOL.  I got lucky and finally put it on

The GEN1, GSE system is cheap enough if you want to tinker around with one and it uses 1911 springs as the
recoil spring.  Those are plentiful, affordable and available in all kinds of rates.  The stock one is 18.5lbs IRRC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or just buy a Sig Sauer adapter for $100 and *BOOM*

Link Posted: 11/10/2016 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Already posted, but the first thing that came to mind was no buffer tube at all, the old Olympic upper with the spring in the upper, or the newer RRA ones.  I think the Olympic was the OA-93 or something similar.

Just chiming in.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#11]
GSE doesn't seem like a bad option. Not sure 4" is short enough though. The deadfoot one is 2.55...which is as short as would still work for a weak-hand grip when shootin' LMG weak-hand-on-stock style.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.sigsauerguns.com/media/catalog/product/cache/4/thumbnail/500x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/d/adapter-x-fold-04.jpg

How is the adapter going to help?
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.sigsauerguns.com/media/catalog/product/cache/4/thumbnail/500x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/d/adapter-x-fold-04.jpg

One end attaches to the picatinny rail on the RRA PDS lower

The other end attaches to whatever buffer tube and arm brace or stock you want to use

Plus it folds

BOOM
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The other end attaches to whatever buffer tube and arm brace or stock you want to use

Plus it folds

BOOM
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus it folds

BOOM

Re-read what the OP is asking for.  He wants a pistol ,with as little possible to nothing, hanging off the receiver extension end.

To quote the OP:

Quoted:
Regardless of cost, what is the shortest pistol-only buffer tube you can buy right now? Fine with custom BCGs etc...just need to know what the shortest option is that isn't a collapsible/folding rifle stock set up...

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#15]
To add in there is new design that is Bufferless, The Serbu SU-15 Upper Receiver Group priced a bit high priced for the upper and is in the pre-order deposit point for sales.

info at  http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/11/16/serbu-su-15/ and a thread on here that had more negative opinions on the company but is hiding from me presently. Hopefully someone will post it in a reply  soon.

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I was on the su15 preorder. Got a refund after I realized that it's likely never coming to market.

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#17]
While it's not exactly what you're asking for, the Faxon ARAK-21 upper does not require a buffer tube at all to function.  Obviously it's a significant investment if you are already in progress on a build, but if you're looking to eliminate the buffer tube on a traditional AR15 lower, it's a solid option.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#18]
They say on their industry forum that they are going to make an arak21 that has a longer rail system... I'll prolly get one then. For this particular build, I need a num of a buffer tube. Not zero, not 4-5"... Preferably, just a nub!

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#19]
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15056484_1189910544381410_701275325988926852_n.jpg?oh=cdecf16245078863fe27911e7f204277&oe=58C51E20
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Already posted, but the first thing that came to mind was no buffer tube at all, the old Olympic upper with the spring in the upper, or the newer RRA ones.  I think the Olympic was the OA-93 or something similar.

Just chiming in.
View Quote

I can remember when Olympic Arms came out with those... Spring system was similar to an AR180 IIRC.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:57:00 PM EDT
[#21]
What's going on in this thread?

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:32:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Might check this out.

Dead foot pistol
View Quote

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for to use in an upcoming build.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Just a part of my LMG build. I've been inspired by the 1919 browning 30 cal to make my own modern AR based version, basically a pistol AR with a 20" hbar, picatinny mounted carry handle, D60 or beta mag. Just a funky build inspired by one of the goofier MGs ever built.

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 1:41:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Battle Arms will be releasing their 4.5" tube. I picked up a kit this weekend (a pre-release), but it isnt for my pistol. I put it up for sale.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_125/1608035_Battle-Arms-Mini-Saber-Compact-Pistol-Tube-Kit--Pre-release-.html
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top