Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2016 1:55:32 PM EDT
On a firearm (pistol) less than 26" OAL, which of these are ATF legal?

Magpul AFG2

BCM Gunfighter MOD3

Promag broom handle
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#1]
nvm
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The Magpul AFG.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

On a firearm (pistol) less than 26" OAL, which of these are ATF legal?
View Quote
What about the GPS-02?

And what if OAL is 28-3/4 inches?

Humor me

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Magpul AFG.
View Quote

Is that the ONLY style that is ATF approved?  Is there a list somewhere?

CHAD
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then it's neither an AOW or a pistol when you add a VFG.  To meet the definition of an AOW it must be concealable, ATF has determined that the size cut off for that is 26".  To be a pistol it must be designed to be fired from one hand.  Since it now has two grips, it's not a pistol.  It's still not designed to be fired from the shoulder though, so it's not an SBR either.  Since it doesn't meet the legal definition of any of the various classes of firearms, either Title I or Title II, it's just a Title I firearm
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#7]
From my understanding, as long as it is an ANGLED grip that is not designed to be gripped like a standard vertical grip (closed fist) is GTG. Angled vertical grips are basically seen as hand-stops.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Then it's neither an AOW or a pistol when you add a VFG.  To meet the definition of an AOW it must be concealable, ATF has determined that the size cut off for that is 26".  To be a pistol it must be designed to be fired from one hand.  Since it now has two grips, it's not a pistol.  It's still not designed to be fired from the shoulder though, so it's not an SBR either.  Since it doesn't meet the legal definition of any of the various classes of firearms, either Title I or Title II, it's just a Title I firearm
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You confirmed what I understand it to be.

Is there an ATF letter to confirm and have on hand while in my 28-3/4" configuration?

OH, thanks for the response

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#9]
that AFG has been out for 2 years, if you want to read the ATF letter about it use a internet search for AFG ATF LETTER, they're everywhere
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
that AFG has been out for 2 years, if you want to read the ATF letter about it use a internet search for AFG ATF LETTER, they're everywhere
View Quote

Thank you.  I'm going internet searching for some kind of chart with lengths and what kind of grips you can or can't have.

CHAD
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thank you.  I'm going internet searching for some kind of chart with lengths and what kind of grips you can or can't have.

CHAD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CHAD

Best of luck with that. You sure won't find it among BATF resources.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the general rule is angled grip is ok on a pistol, vertical grip turns it into a weapon of mass destruction.  I haven't seen anything from the ATF about which way the grip may angle, though.  Probably better ask them before you get a vertical grip and mount it 45 degrees to one side or anything.  There's a sticky around here with letters from the ATF.  Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to read through those.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think the general rule is angled grip is ok on a pistol, vertical grip turns it into a weapon of mass destruction.  I haven't seen anything from the ATF about which way the grip may angle, though.  Probably better ask them before you get a vertical grip and mount it 45 degrees to one side or anything.  There's a sticky around here with letters from the ATF.  Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to read through those.
View Quote

I thought having parts painted black turns it into a weapon of mass destruction...

From what I can piece together from seemingly contradictory ATF letters, the angled Magpul style is ok.  I will just go with the angled grip/stop.

CHAD
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Is this BCM KAG legal, hassle-free?

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#15]
^^^ Handstops are not grips.  You don't hold the hand stop itself, you use leverage against it.  If it's vertical, AND a grip, it's a no no.  If it's 1) not vertical AND ALSO 2) not something you hold in a closed fist, you're good.

ETA:  ...assuming your OAL is shorter than 26" of course.  VFGs are good to go if the OAL length is +26"... the AR "pistol" simply becomes "a firearm" and the VFG is no longer an issue.

The rules are goofy, but basically try to empathize with a liberal idiot whose concept of guns comes from CSI Miami... if it would look like a vertical grip to them, that's where ATF draws the lines/
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:08:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:30:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like the Stirke Industries Cobra Fore Grip too.
View Quote

I love the ergonomics of it. But since it is aluminum it heats up with the handguard. Thats my only complaint and it isn't much of one.

Never mind I'm thinking of their keymod/mlok hybrid grip.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#18]

I have a BCM KAG on mine and from everything I have read this is legal but hassle free would depend on the knowledge of who might be the "hassler"
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have a BCM KAG on mine and from everything I have read this is legal but hassle free would depend on the knowledge of who might be the "hassler"
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got a couple of Magpul AVG's laying around and did put one on my pistol for the hell of it and it just seemed WAY to big...the KAG looks and feels right to me.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#21]
i like the fab defence AFG

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
i like the fab defence AFG

View Quote

Wish it was keymod
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Larue hand stops are another good option.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#24]
What about the MFT magwell grip?

Or the CAA magwell grip?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Well, I guess Mako was the first company to make a mag well grip, and they got an ATF letter, I suppose it's fairly clear cut on any kind of similar one.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well, I guess Mako was the first company to make a mag well grip, and they got an ATF letter, I suppose it's fairly clear cut on any kind of similar one.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:

- OS

The Mako one installs around the magwell itself though...and looks horrible.

I like the MFT one, but I've been hesitant to get one for any of my <26" pistols, since it attaches to the handguard and technically could be moved forward and used as a VFG.  Was hoping someone here could provide some clarification.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Oops double tap
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#28]
For what its worth the Stark letter includes a little gem in the third paragraph. While there is no legal definition for a vertical forward grip it is noted here, in surprising particulars (for ATF letters), what the ATF considers a VFG.

I have never see a letter that supersedes this one in regards to what is considered a VFG.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top