Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2016 9:26:23 PM EDT
I see all the pics in the pic thread of pistols with the blade on the buffer tube.  I had one, but after reading all the posts and the risks, I threw mine in the trash. I can shoulder a buffer tube just as easy and don't want the hassle.

Anyone else agree?
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Not this again.... Please. You've been around since 2007 and don't know the answer?

If you don't want one don't get one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not this again.... Please. You've been around since 2007 and don't know the answer?

If you don't want one don't get one.
View Quote

+1, no trouble here.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I see all the pics in the pic thread of pistols with the blade on the buffer tube.  I had one, but after reading all the posts and the risks, I threw mine in the trash. I can shoulder a buffer tube just as easy and don't want the hassle.

Anyone else agree?
View Quote

The OP doth protest too much, methinks.

What posts?
What risks?
You didn't sell it or put it on a shelf......you threw it in the trash?

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:16:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm getting ready to buy one. Op just the cash in the trash.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#5]
There are starving children in Bangladesh, and you threw your KAK in the trash.  Oh the humanity!
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Love you guys!  

No, I don't post much but I have been reading threads for almost a decade.  Forgive me for asking a question.  You should be happy I don't polute the boards with a bunch of BS.  However, this is one of the pistol accessories I don't see a point to.  The butt of my buffer tube fits snugly to the joint in my shoulder.  No need for me to F* with the ATFE to have something that works fine.  I was just wondering what benefits you guys see on this one.

I love bucking the system and many of my weapons run right up to the edge ...

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#8]

After reading some of the comments and the links ...

I will be an a$$hole and say that I have a lot to lose including my freedom apparently unlike some of you duchelords, so bite me.

I will ask questions when I feel it is appropriate.  

Good day...

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Shouldering your buffer tube from the perspective of legality is no different than shouldering an arm brace. You're over thinking it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:20:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Shouldering your buffer tube from the perspective of legality is no different than shouldering an arm brace. You're over thinking it.
View Quote

I understand the nuance, and I am more than willing to push the limit, but making it look like a stock just begs the question.  I know the penalties, and can't justify a $50 part.  Yes I don't mind throwing it in trash.  It's less than the cost of a dinner for one night on the town vs. five years in the can
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:25:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Love you guys!  

No, I don't post much but I have been reading threads for almost a decade.  Forgive me for asking a question.  You should be happy I don't polute the boards with a bunch of BS. However, this is one of the pistol accessories I don't see a point to.  The butt of my buffer tube fits snugly to the joint in my shoulder.  No need for me to F* with the ATFE to have something that works fine.  I was just wondering what benefits you guys see on this one.

View Quote

Then don't buy one and move on with your life.

And this thread is polluting the board with a bunch of BS.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#12]
What more do you need?

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Anyone else agree?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Anyone else agree?

Quoted:
Love you guys!  

No, I don't post much but I have been reading threads for almost a decade.  Forgive me for asking a question.  You should be happy I don't polute the boards with a bunch of BS.  However, this is one of the pistol accessories I don't see a point to.  The butt of my buffer tube fits snugly to the joint in my shoulder. No need for me to F* with the ATFE to have something that works fine.  I was just wondering what benefits you guys see on this one.

I was under the impression that it doesn't matter if you're shouldering a brace or a bare buffer tube.

Shouldering is shouldering.  A pistol is not supposed to be shouldered.  

You can do whatever you want, but I would quit saying that online if I were you.....

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  I wouldn't be surprised if I was.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I had the same concerns as the OP about the SB47 on my AK pistol back when the ATF flip flopped on the Sig brace decision. I took it off & reinstalled it a half dozen times. "is it worth it?" I asked.

It's back on, and I'm currently building an AR pistol with a Shockwave. The issue is in it's use, not it's configuration. Yes, someone could mistake my cheek weld for shoulder contact. But the brace won't make a bit of difference with a buffer tube. Either is just as bad.

At least with an AK or AR piston pistol  removal of the brace makes it impossible to cheek weld but also impossible to be mistaken as being shouldered. I've tried this with my AK pistol and without a cheek weld it's difficult at best, both with a single point sling and a two point sling.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#15]
If you shoulder a pistol you have created an SBR according to the BATFE.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope. So far, the only missive claiming that is regarding shouldering one with a brace or Thordsen type cheek rest on it.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please provide the ATF letter.

This line of thinking came out when the infamous Open Letter was published - but the language in that is deliberately confusing and some interpreted it as outlawing holding the buffer tube to the shoulder along with any wrist brace.

Yet to see that in the letter. It's not clear or concise at all in that regard, much less the fact the subject of the letter is about braces. Buffer tubes were sorted out back in the days when you COULD install a milspec stock pinned at the shortest position and it was legal.

Let's not be ATF agents working pro bono enforcing their deliberately confusing language just to jerk somebody's chain on the internet. Post the official wording where we can all see it, just like the letter for the brace. Each of us makes our own decision.

This is the same kind of debate we get into about magazine disconnects on pistols - like, third gen S&W's. One side says leave it alone, the other says so what? the LEO guns are shipped with them removed on some contracts. It's the OWNER'S choice what they want to do - they and they alone bear the responsibility.

Anyone with Nexus/Lexus law library access can search - there are no cases about removing a mag disconnect when others have. The Brace? We're waiting for the FIRST case, which is exactly the way the ATF played us.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Anyone else agree?
View Quote

What risks?  I have one....and I'm not planning on tossing it in the trash any time soon.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Although this may be a beaten, dead horse issue, I learned something from this thread.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm buying one soon
I've got a half dozen or so SBRs but I do see value in having a pistol you can keep loaded on the vehicle, etc
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Get it out of the trash and I will buy it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Love you guys!  

No, I don't post much but I have been reading threads for almost a decade.  Forgive me for asking a question.  You should be happy I don't polute the boards with a bunch of BS.  However, this is one of the pistol accessories I don't see a point to.  The butt of my buffer tube fits snugly to the joint in my shoulder.  No need for me to F* with the ATFE to have something that works fine.  I was just wondering what benefits you guys see on this one.

View Quote

So you say "no reason to fuck with the ATFE," then go on a gun website and admit to an NFA violation.

Sound logic.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So you say "no reason to fuck with the ATFE," then go on a gun website and admit to an NFA violation.

Sound logic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love you guys!  

Sound logic.

The OP already admitted to one. He stated a number of times that he shoulders his AR pistols.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#24]
It's hard to wrap your head around some folkses logic.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, not exactly. As was said in another thread: You can put a revolver up to your shoulder and it doesn't become a SBR.

Adding a stock to a pistol makes it an SBR, not how you hold it.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No, not exactly. As was said in another thread: You can put a revolver up to your shoulder and it doesn't become a SBR.

Cheers!
-JC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers!
-JC

The blade and brace, are not stocks.
Yet, atf says illegal to touch your shoulder.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Huy guise I have so much money I can throw $50 in the trash hyuk hyuk.

Op is retarded.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers!
-JC

Until someone actually gets arrested and goes to court and challenges it we will never know for sure
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#29]
There is no trouble. It's not illegal to shoulder it either. The ATF doesn't make law. They can claim it's illegal all they want, but it's not.

Claiming that something is a rifle based on usage and not intrinsic attributes of the weapon is laughable.

If you were slightly flexible you could shoulder a plain old pistol.  Dumb and awkward looking/pointless - sure. But it could be done. Is the pistol now a rifle?  Fucking silly.

Nobody has been arrested and nobody will for this.  Much like 922r, it's a mountain out of a molehill.

Yes yes, I'm sure the ATF will be around to arrest me any minute.  "My freedom is at risk!" etc.. etc...

I could also trip on the sidewalk and crack my skull open walking around, in fact that's much more likely.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There is no trouble. It's not illegal to shoulder it either. The ATF doesn't make law. They can claim it's illegal all they want, but it's not.

Claiming that something is a rifle based on usage and not intrinsic attributes of the weapon is laughable.

If you were slightly flexible you could shoulder a plain old pistol.  Dumb and awkward looking/pointless - sure. But it could be done. Is the pistol now a rifle?  Fucking silly.

Nobody has been arrested and nobody will for this.  Much like 922r, it's a mountain out of a molehill.

Yes yes, I'm sure the ATF will be around to arrest me any minute.  "My freedom is at risk!" etc.. etc...

I could also trip on the sidewalk and crack my skull open walking around, in fact that's much more likely.
View Quote

The ATF has made it clear that these are " dog pile-on " charges that can bury a criminal under to force a plea bargain or conviction.
The rules are not something they are out trying to enforce with stakeouts at the OP's favorite shooting spot.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Push against a properly adjusted sling and a good cheek weld is all you need.

A little 550 wrap to keep your cheek from freezing to the aluminum tube and GTG
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

After reading some of the comments and the links ...

I will be an a$$hole and say that I have a lot to lose including my freedom apparently unlike some of you duchelords, so bite me.

I will ask questions when I feel it is appropriate.  

Good day...

View Quote

Actually, it seems like freedom is scary to you. The ATF has said the brace is fine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Freezing to the aluminum"........or burning your cheek in the Deep South.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out here, black painted metal can reach +10* or more than the ambient air temperature just sitting in the sun.
That means your gun can be over 120-125 degrees before you even start shooting.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Just read in Firearms news, that the MCX pistol stabilizing brace from SB Tactical CAN be mounted to your shoulder, BUT cannot be FIRED from your shoulder. They have a letter from the BATFE stating this. Something about not having ridges on the back of the brace allows this.

This is the latest letter, so I guess I can shoulder again since my brace is smooth. Someone post the letter if you buy one please.

Oh, and they are shouldering it in the pictures, so pics shouldering are back on it seems.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just read in Firearms news, that the MCX pistol stabilizing brace from SB Tactical CAN be mounted to your shoulder, BUT cannot be FIRED from your shoulder. They have a letter from the BATFE stating this. Something about not having ridges on the back of the brace allows this.

This is the latest letter, so I guess I can shoulder again since my brace is smooth. Someone post the letter if you buy one please.

Oh, and they are shouldering it in the pictures, so pics shouldering are back on it seems.
View Quote

The ATF runs this shop.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top