Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2016 3:37:56 PM EDT
Ok, I have two Anderson lowers sitting around and I've always wanted an AR SBR and/or a pistol.

So yesterday, thanks to a post here, I bought a 10.5 upper from hardened arms.

My plan for right now is to get a lpk, kak shockwave blade and tube, angled for grip, tac light, ir laser, PA acss red dot and magnifier.

From what I've read that should get me to the OAL requirement.

In the near future I ld like to SBR it so I can add a very grip (I know, shame on me) and actually shoulder the stock.

Am I correct in understand I simply need to get a trust, engrave the lower, and wait for the stamp?

I don't have to worry I have extra lowers, or that the lower I'm using started out as the pistol, or that I have spare stocks around for my 16 inch AR's?

And I read on the shockwave website that I can put the blade to my cheek. Is that legit?  Must be since its on their site, correct?

Thanks all. I swear I read other threads but I'd rather not take chances with big brother, even though these laws are all BS to begin with.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

My plan for right now is to get a lpk, kak shockwave blade and tube, angled for grip, tac light, ir laser, PA acss red dot and magnifier.

View Quote

??

The only federal "OAL requirement" is 26" if you want to use a vertical forward grip, which you don't mention in parts list. And if that is the plan, then no, that KAK tube won't quite get you there with a 10.5" barrel.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Also just to add this about the KAK tube. Even with an 11.5" barrel you will come up 1/4" short. 12.5" and KAK tube is good to go though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

??

The only federal "OAL requirement" is 26" if you want to use a vertical forward grip, which you don't mention in parts list. And if that is the plan, then no, that KAK tube won't quite get you there with a 10.5" barrel.

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

??

- OS

Yes, that is what I meant. I'm won't use the vertical grip until I get the tax stamp.

So I can't use the blade, kak tube, and a 10.5 inch barrel and reach 26 overall inches?  I thought I saw a bunch of pistols with the set up in the pistol pic thread? Like this: Pic

Plus isn't there a new multi position kak tube which allows the blade to be extended?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes, that is what I meant. I'm won't use the vertical grip until I get the tax stamp.

So I can't use the blade, kak tube, and a 10.5 inch barrel and reach 26 overall inches?  I thought I saw a bunch of pistols with the set up in the pistol pic thread? Like this: Pic

Plus isn't there a new multi position kak tube which allows the blade to be extended?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

??

- OS

There's no  VFG in that pic link.

Also, no pistol brace has ever been ruled as contributing to legal OAL.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

??

- OS

- OS

Yes. I won't be adding any vertical grip (maybe an angle grip) until or if I ever turn it into a legal SBR

I'm not being a smart ass here, I'm just ignorant....so is the 26 inches achieved by the barrel and receiver/lower?  Or all of these people using braces/blades to reach 26 inches and hoping they don't get pinched?

Sorry again for the questions.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#6]
You need to obtain 26" if you want a vertical grip and under 16" barrel. (most states, not including CA)  

Under 26" is a pistol and need to use an angle grip. Measure end of barrel (not including removable muzzle device) to end of buffer tube (not including arm brace).
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#7]
One way to get to the 26" is with either of the KAK Super Tubes (not the one for the Blade). It plus 10.3 or 10.5 inch barrel gets you past it.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You need to obtain 26" if you want a vertical grip and under 16" barrel. (most states, not including CA)  

Under 26" is a pistol and need to use an angle grip. Measure end of barrel (not including removable muzzle device) to end of buffer tube (not including arm brace).
View Quote

Ah. Ok. This is what I was looking for.

As of now this is going to be a pistol with maybe an angle grip so I can go with the list of parts I thought I could. Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#9]
what about adding a LAW side-folding adapter to increase the OAL?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
what about adding a LAW side-folding adapter to increase the OAL?
View Quote

Never have had a ruling whether it becomes a part of the firearm so that it would count. Any more than does a buffer tube itself on a handgun that doesn't need it for operation.

Ironically perhaps, the whole issue of the 26" is the difference between "concealability" or not. And a folding mechanism would then make a "non-concealable" firearm "concealable". But on the other hand, folding and extensible stocked rifles are measured at full extent and not folded either, at least federally.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#11]
It's 26" fro the end of the buffer tube to the muzzle before muzzle device.  Unless you pin the muzzle.  Moving parts don't count.  I would just do the pistol and call it a day.  A vertical foregrip isnt that much different than an angled.  More advantages in most states to keep it a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:19:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's 26" fro the end of the buffer tube to the muzzle before muzzle device.  ...
View Quote

Yeah, that's said a lot here. But never seen it in writing from the ATF.

Matter of fact, a friend of mine has a letter suggesting that not only would a buffer tube on a firearm that doesn't require count (AK) but that the folding part and brace on it does too. So if that's actually the ATF line on things, shouldn't be any different for an AR, eh?

https://d2kyvj3kvr3yw0.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/atf-ak-ar15-buffer-tube-2015-02-11.pdf

- OS
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top