Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/29/2016 5:47:25 PM EDT
I've searched and know I'm missing something but just trying to figure out about braces. This is the first AR pistol I've ever built and not sure if and/or which brace is worth the money. I have a 10.5 pistol in 5.56 and pretty much a standard setup, as I've said I've searched and done the whole wait so many seconds with no luck. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, so any help, advice and/or opinions welcome. I'm not doing the SBR route as I am just not interested in the paperwork nor wait, just a plinking toy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Shockwave.

Adjustable
More rigid
Better looking
Cheaper
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I appreciate that. Gives me a little more depth to it, mostly all I've seen in shockwave posts is price. I don't mind spending money but, I like many want the most for the money.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll second the Shockwave Blade.  Got mine in the kit (Brace, buffer tube, spring, buffer...etc...), and I'm very happy with it.  The ease of adjustability for getting a good cheek weld is a nice thing to have, and the weight is negligible.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shockwave.

Adjustable
More rigid
Better looking
Cheaper
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Just put another AR pistol together tonight and as usual put a Shockwave on her.

Not a fan of the Sig Brace and haven't tried the Thordsen since the Shockwave is exactly what I am looking for at a hell of a price when you buy the kit from say Schuyler Arm's who is an industry partner on the forums.  Think I paid like $69 shipped for a complete kit for my build I did today.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Shockwave
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Shockwave. I have 5.

Dave N
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an SigTac and would trade straight up for a shockwave
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Shockwave.

Night and day difference from the SB.  SB is flexible rubber, not easily adjusted, heavy, & ugly.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:51:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Shockwave. It's the better mousetrap thus far.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:35:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Shockwave.

Lighter
Adjustable
More rigid
Better looking
Cheaper
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm almost done with my 10.5" 300 blackout build.  After looking at all the options, I decided to go with the Thordsen.  I went with it for two reason.  I gives a really good cheek weld without giving the communist bystander the belief I'm using it "incorrectly".  The second, it can use a standard carbine buffer tube so when the revolution starts, I don't have to replace the tube to put a carbine stock on.  

Thordsen has a copy of an ATF letter on their website stating it is legal to use on a carbine buffer tube since the assembly actually covers the tube and tightens down, preventing anyone from easily swapping it out with a stock.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#13]
i have a sig brace(came with the kit i ordered when i built my 8.5"pistol)

when its on your fore arm it is very awkward to shoot the pistol straight in front of you,really only works if your shooting one handed off to the side of you.its kind of bulky too

i took it off and wont re  use it again.
i just use the buffer tube against my arm now or use a cheek weld on the tube

much easier to shoot the pistol straight in front of me now
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:58:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks everyone, I'm sold on the blade. I'm going to order one Monday.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just put another AR pistol together tonight and as usual put a Shockwave on her.

Not a fan of the Sig Brace and haven't tried the Thordsen since the Shockwave is exactly what I am looking for at a hell of a price when you buy the kit from say Schuyler Arm's who is an industry partner on the forums.  Think I paid like $69 shipped for a complete kit for my build I did today.
View Quote

That's awesome. $68.50 for black kit and $65.50 for fde. I've got a Sig brace mounted on a Phase 5 Hex buffer kit to get the needed length for a "proper cheek weld". But since I need to build 8 new lowers as pistols first, I was longing for a more user friendly, less costly alternative. This is hands down the best price on complete kit! Heck, even Joe Bob's wants $95.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I just have a 550 wrapped tube.

A good cheek weld and pushing against the strap makes it very stable.

<shrugs>
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the heads up!! Picking one up right now from them!
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the Sig brace and the Shickwave and the next sale I find the Sig brace will get a Shockwave.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Shockwave.

Adjustable
More rigid
Better looking
Cheaper
View Quote

This.

I had a Sig brace first. Not bad, but shockwave is much better.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I prefer just a  RR pistol tube and foam  cover from Exile
When I first built a pistol that's what was available, later I tried  a sig brace but I was happy to sell it and go back to foam covered pistol tube.

Usually the simplest choice is the best choice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#21]
KISS principle.... extended tube with foam cover.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I like the mft/thordsten combo best, best cheekweld and you can store batts/ oil in it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Whent ahead and jumped on the Shockwave Blade deal for $68.50 mentioned here for my first 80% build witch I decided to make it a pistol build. I had bought a pistol buffer tube w/foam but after seeing this deal I figured I would save the buffer tube w/foam for another build later.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Went with a Blade on my 10.5" build.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I started with a tube and foam cover from Exile, with a thick "bushing" in the end of the tube as a cushion.  It worked for a while.  Then I put on the Sig Brace.  Liked it a bunch.  My brother got a Shockwave when he built his pistol.  Much lighter.  So yesterday I swapped my Sig Brace for a shockwave, and just kept my Phase 5 tube that was on the pistol.  The blade has a bit of play on the tube, but tightened down nicely with the set screw.

Now I can get some foam to cut out and make a storage spot for it now that the blade is on there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 6:16:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got pretty much same setup but adding a 12" rail to cover my pig a little more, looks sharp with the blade.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I have Sig Brace, Shockwave, and pistol buffer tube with cover.

I like the Shockwave due to weight, looks, price, but my next pistol will be just pistol buffer tube and cover.  The whole not shouldering the braces is just stupid to me.  If I don't have a brace, than no worries (at least for now).
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Am I the only one that has pulled the press fit nut out of the shockwave? I installed a law tactical folder so I wanted shorten it up a bit. When I tightened the set screw on the blade, the nut began to back out. Literally the second time I tightened it. Seems like an oversight, but the press fit nut should have been installed from the inside to alleviate this problem.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Had this happen to me. I sent shockwave an email and they sent out a replacement brace.

Also I suggested the same thing incase they make a gen 2. If it was inserted from inside the brace, it would only get tigher once the brace is installed. This way the nut wouldn't back out.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Had this happen to me. I sent shockwave an email and they sent out a replacement brace.

Also I suggested the same thing incase they make a gen 2. If it was inserted from inside the brace, it would only get tigher once the brace is installed. This way the nut wouldn't back out.
View Quote

I should send them an email as well. I just wrote it off as a loss and stuck it in the pile o parts. It would be nice if they redesigned the nut, as I liked it otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Is the KAK dimpled buffer tube from skd legit? Looking to pair it with a black blade.
I'm going to be running a 10.5" upper and want a blade to go with it. Just want to make sure it'll function 100%.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I had half a dozen SB15 Sig Braces on my pistols when they first came out. Later I changed them all over to the Shockwave. I tried SB Tactical's new SBM4 this weekend and it's a HUGE improvement over the original SB-15. It weighs far less - not too much more than the Shockwave, and it's much more comfortable than the Shockwave to shoot 'if you know what I'm sayin'

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:16:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Is the KAK dimpled buffer tube from skd legit? Looking to pair it with a black blade.
I'm going to be running a 10.5" upper and want a blade to go with it. Just want to make sure it'll function 100%.
View Quote

Its like they were made with eachother. IIRC the KAK blade tube is the same length as a carbine tube.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:49:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I had half a dozen SB15 Sig Braces on my pistols when they first came out. Later I changed them all over to the Shockwave. I tried SB Tactical's new SBM4 this weekend and it's a HUGE improvement over the original SB-15. It weighs far less - not too much more than the Shockwave, and it's much more comfortable than the Shockwave to shoot 'if you know what I'm sayin'

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BzpfCltwrB4/V5-XD2wrX8I/AAAAAAAAGnY/WCZp3LWG-D4k8PJFeqvPgRJwumbu1jFUgCCo/s512/upload_-1
View Quote

Wish those weren't $150. Looking for something for the end of this guy:

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:49:58 AM EDT
[#36]
I after messing with foam just wrapped the back third of the tube with Black Para Cord.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#37]
An OD blade would look and work great on the above AR. Get the Blade, and drive it like it was stolen.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top