Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/25/2016 5:41:12 PM EDT
My shockwave brace finally died on me. I went to readjust it after swapping to a new lower today and the brass/metal insert fell out. Didn't hamfist it either, I just get it snug with some thread locker.

Looks like it was friction fit to the polymer start with. Should I just JB weld it and rock on? I've had it the brace almost year and it's held up fine tbh. Maybe its just a fluke

Don't think I'm going to buy another since the adjustable sig brace is coming out in a few months. If the JB weld doesn't do the trick I'll just throw a buffer tube sleeve on my tube and call it good.

I'm sure braces will hold up fine if you just use blue loctite, set it and forget it.

As far as the buffer tube, it looks like the end plate wore a small amount of threading on the buffer tube. Not even sure how that happened. But it isnt a big deal since a new tube is 20 bucks. If I'm throwing a cover over it, the timing doesn't really matter.

How is everyone elses holding up long term?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#1]
if that piece came out yup just jb weld or guerrilla glue that sucka back together.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I would use Gorilla glue epoxy.  I'll keep an eye on mine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#4]
^^^Good Vendor!
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you purchased from me here on Arfcom, contact me and I will get it replaced.
View Quote

Hi Josh while that is an awesome offer. I purchased it from Amazon through KAK last August or so.

Definitely going to consider you for future orders though

Hell I'm placing an order for a new buffer tube right now.

I got the Gorilla Epoxy and I'm applying it now.

Edit: Applied it, and I used a vice w/ set screw to push the insert in. Hopefully it will be good to go tomorrow. No worries I took the set screw out just incase epoxy was on a thread.

If for some reason the epoxy doesnt work. I have an exile machine cover on the way. Personally I'm now debating between the cover and the KAK brace.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
^^^Good Vendor!
View Quote

I also purchased mine on Amazon (not knowing) but, from what I just read, my next pistol parts will be ordered through you!
Stuff like that is how you get customers.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:12:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#8]
or you can use a cheap soldering iron to heat it up in place.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#9]
The heat thing sounds like a good idea. But I think I lost the small bit of material that it was wedged into. I'm hoping that the epoxy fills that in.

Bummer the Epoxy never cured after 20 hours. Still has some liquidy residue, maybe I can try again. But it was mixed properly. I got that dual applicator gorilla epoxy.

I wonder if this kind of nylon/polymer isnt compatible with it? I'll try it again but this time I went overkill with the stuff. KAK brace will also be left to cure in my attic for a few days (it gets hot up there)

Guess I'll be running a KAK tube with a cover for now, no biggy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Well RIP shockwave. 2nd Attempt didn't go so good. Some how I got epoxy on the threads... wonder if it dripped or leaked.

Hopefully the intro price on the adjustable sig brace isn't too bad. Worst case I'll get a new shockwave brace, or just SBR this thing.

Live and learn
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can vouch for Josh.  Good people. He's going places if he keeps up his level of CS.

Thanks again Josh!
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I can vouch for Josh.  Good people. He's going places if he keeps up his level of CS.

Thanks again Josh!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again Josh!

The buffer tube I ordered shipped yesterday and should be here friday. Shipping was rather prompt.

I forsee many more orders
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:15:58 AM EDT
[#13]
So when my SWB failed (crack along the top) I reached out to KAK from whom I purchased it from off of Amazon and they had no issue replacing it, have you tried reaching out to Kurt?  I would be surprised if he wouldn't swap it out for you.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:53:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Gorilla epoxy is junk don't know why I never had good luck with it. JB Weld or the Dev Con stuff is much better.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Contacted Shockwave directly. They are sending me a replacement.

Stand up company.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Good to know they will replace.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 12:59:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Replacement shockwave came today. This one had a much tighter fit, and the polymer wasn't a glossy shiney black. Also I noticed the brass threaded insert had some extra polymer holding it in.

Looks like they made some improvements.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:28:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Replacement shockwave came today. This one had a much tighter fit, and the polymer wasn't a glossy shiney black. Also I noticed the brass threaded insert had some extra polymer holding it in.

Looks like they made some improvements.
View Quote

Interesting. Can we get some side by side photos?
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 2:35:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Sure I can probably do upload them this weekend. The differences are kind of subtle but there. My old shockwave I had to do some light sanding to take some of the shine off. Also it would just fall off the buffer tube if it wasn't tightened down/

The new one I got doesn't feel as slippery texture wise.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top