Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2016 7:28:38 AM EDT
Being cross eye dominant, I always struggled with rifle shooting and generally avoided it. Shooting lefty doesn't feel right whatsoever. I was curious if anyone else is CED and how you shoot your ar pistols.
I was thinking of a red dot on some type of riser so I can get my left eye in line with the dot while maintaining some type of check weld.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Reflex optics are not eye-dominance dependent.  Line up the dot and the target, and the bullet will hit the target (a grand generalization, of course.)

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Rifle lefty
Pistol righty.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Rifle lefty

Pistol righty.
View Quote

Rifle righty

Pistol lefty

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Right eye dominant left handed.

I shoot rifles right handed and my AR pistol right handed(cheek weld buffer)

Regular hand guns I shoot left handed right eye. Zero issues
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Rifle righty
Pistol lefty

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rifle lefty
Pistol righty.

Rifle righty
Pistol lefty

Same here. Left eye dom
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I am right handed, but the sight in my right eye has deteriorated over the past few years forcing me to shoot right handed left eye.  I shoot competitive bullseye pistol, mostly with a dot.  

I use my regular progressive lens bifocals with the dot.  I got a pair of safety glasses with a full lens 1.5 correction from a company called Elvex (sold on Amazon) to shoot with iron sights. I was told .75 should be good for iron sights, but the 1.5 give me a sharp sight picture.  I did well in the CMP (iron sight) matches at Camp Perry last week with this combination, earning leg points in .22, and making the President's 100 with the .45.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Right eye dominant left handed.

I shoot rifles right handed and my AR pistol right handed(cheek weld buffer)

Regular hand guns I shoot left handed right eye. Zero issues
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#8]
An eotech cured my problem from this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies fellas. Looks like there is some hope for me.

For the red dot guys, are you using a riser? What height and where do you have it mounted?

I'm looking at the Bushnell first strike but read a lot of mixed reviews. Hoping to keep the budget low.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm blind in my left eye an shoot pistols left handed.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Are you using a rds or irons?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm right handed, but left eye dominant. Shooting rifle or shotgun I shoot right handed, I've tried shooting left handed but it didn't feel right. Shooting pistol I shoot something of a modified Weaver stance, swinging my hands way left, still shooting right handed and left eye. Looks odd, guys at my .22 league tried to teach me to shoot correctly, but we're surprised when I ended up being third my first year, guess it just works for me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Have you tried shooting with the other hand?  Friend of mine writes right handed but is left eye dominant.  Going to the range their groups looked like a shotgun pattern .  Tried left handed and their groups were awesome.  This whole time they thought they were just THAT bad of a shot.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I tried shooting left handed in the past and it was not comfortable at all but I'll give it another go next range visit to see how I feel.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm right handed but left eye dominate. I shoot handguns right handed but I've shot rifles, shotgun's, etc left handed for years. Doesn't mater if it has iron sights, a scope or a RDS.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I feel your pain believe me...  Born RT handed/RT eyed, but was taught to shoot both sides in the academy with pistol and shotgun. My RT eye has gotten worse astigmatism than the left. A modified Weaver stance helps, switching stance depending on the weapon hand with pistol.  

Sometimes I close the off eye to get a sight picture then open again. So shooting RH, close the left eye momentarily to get the RT eye dominance then open the LT again. It usually works OK, but if it doesn't take I just do it again for longer.

I can have a hell of a time shooting instinctive archery both eyes open. That's where I taught myself the "close one eye" tactic to get back on right eye dominance quickly.

Red dots sights don't work well for me. Open sights and crosshairs are better.

The military would correct eye dominance with a paper towel or TP tube. Holding out in front at arms length and sighting a target through the tube over and over until the correct eye was trained to respond.

Good luck with it.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top