Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/14/2016 3:44:35 PM EDT
I'm seeing this more and more here in the pic threads. Can these be shouldered at all? Or just okay to use it as a chin rest for a good cheek weld?  Flimsy or does it offer any advantages besides having a short "pistol" while waiting for a form 1 to clear?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm seeing this more and more here in the pic threads.

Can these be shouldered at all? No
Or just okay to use it as a chin rest for a good cheek weld? Yes
Flimsy or does it offer any advantages besides having a short "pistol" while waiting for a form 1 to clear? surprisingly rock rolid once installed. As far as advantage/disadvantage that's just opinion so i'll leave that to someone else
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The ATF opines that it would be illegal to intentionally shoulder such a brace.

Of course I'm sure everyone who uses on uses it in the approved way against their arms, or perhaps as a cheek-rest, as that's permitted.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]
This is a stabilizing brace for one arm shooting.  It's not a stock.  It's half the price of the SIG brace.  That's why you see it so much.  It allows for a cheek weld if desired.  It is not designed to be shouldered.  The ATF opinion is that if shouldered it becomes a different classification that requires a form1.  

Personally, I prefer a AR pistol over a SBR.  I travel across state lines and a pistol is legal and easily transported through the states I need.  I can have the pistol full loaded in the vehicle with me.  It can be concealed.

The legality of shouldering is debatable.  You will hear both sides.  This has been a topic with a long searchable history here.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't believe anyone has or will ever be prosecuted for shooting a pistol with an arm brace from the shoulder. As far as I'm concerned there is no law against it. Do you feel the government is competent enough to figure all this out?
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 4:29:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't believe anyone has or will ever be prosecuted for shooting a pistol with an arm brace from the shoulder. As far as I'm concerned there is no law against it. Do you feel the government is competent enough to figure all this out?
View Quote

Generally talking about illegal activity on this site violates the rules. It is illegal to shoulder it, it would make a NFA SBR according to BATFE opinion.

OP the reason you see so many is they can be had for 1/3 of the cost of a sig brace. They are more streamlined, lighter and IMO better looking too. I have three of them and one sig brace.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 4:37:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for replies folks. I think I am going to stay with doing pinned and welded 14.5's and just wait it out.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I was under the impression that building with the intention of using it as a stock to shoulder makes it a SBR but building without that intention and an accidental shoulder would not be illegal? I know its a fine line but that was my understanding of their ruling. Maybe I misread it?
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#8]
It's an arm brace that the ATF approved.
Use it as such.

Dave N
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was under the impression that building with the intention of using it as a stock to shoulder makes it a SBR but building without that intention and an accidental shoulder would not be illegal? I know its a fine line but that was my understanding of their ruling. Maybe I misread it?
View Quote

"Accidentally" shouldering a brace. Yeah right, that happens a lot.

- OS
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Do not go to the ATF and shoot the building with a shouldered brace!
The brace becoming a stock when it touches a shoulder is a concept that may or may not actually exist to me. There is a ruling that vaguely implies it does but is indirect and limited. Until such a concept is enforced I consider it fairly pointless for anything other than online debate and to keep SBR sales going.  
10 years from now people will still be wondering about what the heck is going on with the ruling and looking over their shoulder. I have several arm braces now along with many rifles so accidentally shouldering a brace is actually very easy to forget about and do.
Anyone who did not build a gun with a brace or know all about them would shoulder it thinking it was a stock anyway. How would a normal Joe know any better?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#11]
It's my understanding that the ATF issues "opinions" by the Chief Technology officer.  I don't see where this guy is a lawyer or is doing anything other than giving his opinion.  Opinions are like, well, everyone has one.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#12]
If it accidently touches your shoulder you should be ok, unless you have your own personal ATand an F agent that accompanies you, or some of the busy bodies that posts on this forum.

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Somebody should write them a letter asking for clarification
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Somebody should write them a letter asking for clarification
View Quote

Don't ja do it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I like mine so much I ordered two more. To me it is the perfect solution to an imperfect problem!
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:07:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I cheeked my 10.5" pistol and that puppy shot accurate with little recoil.  No need to shoulder it, and it's illegal ass hell to do it!
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:12:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I really dig mine. It's a sleeker and lighter option to the fat Sig brace. As far as shouldering... Well, it is an ATF OPINION that firing it from the shoulder makes it an NFA item. There's no written law that states this, just an opinion and no one has or probably ever will be tossed in a cell for doing so... That said, it is a government agency that thinks they know more about these things than anyone else... I have mine as a cheek rest and a space filler to make the pistol not look odd with a bare buffer tube. I like it a lot though and the dimpled receiver extension and set screw makes it a rock solid set up. Just if you're going to shoulder it and ignore all of our opinions not to bc of ATF's opinion, then just don't say anything in my opinion... Sure is a lot of opinions going on... Vern out.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Generally talking about illegal activity on this site violates the rules. It is illegal to shoulder it, it would make a NFA SBR according to BATFE opinion.

OP the reason you see so many is they can be had for 1/3 of the cost of a sig brace. They are more streamlined, lighter and IMO better looking too. I have three of them and one sig brace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For something to be illegal there has to be a law against it. Shouldering an arm brace is not illegal if you build your pistol with the intention of never sholdering it. The BATFE is in a corner and there is nothing they can do.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Back to the OP's point.  I have one.  It is rock solid.  It has a very nice cheek weld IMO.  Advantages?  I like it
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

For something to be illegal there has to be a law against it. Shouldering an arm brace is not illegal if you build your pistol with the intention of never sholdering it. The BATFE is in a corner and there is nothing they can do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps more to the point, the agency has never stated it intends to enforce the ruling.

- OS
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#22]
A question for you guys that have one.  Do the braces add any length to the buffer tube?  

Currently I use a sling to stabilize my cheek weld and I wouldn't want much extra extension length to cause the blade to touch my shoulder
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A question for you guys that have one.  Do the braces add any length to the buffer tube?  

Currently I use a sling to stabilize my cheek weld and I wouldn't want much extra extension length to cause the blade to touch my shoulder
View Quote

The SB15 and SBX do not unless you want it to. If course the KAK Super Tube is longer to begin with, and they have spacers for offsetting if desired.   The Shockwave can extend back from the end of the tube if you want it to. The Phase 5 Hex tube offsets a brace backwards by design, but it comes out to same length as a KAK tube with brace flush against back of it.

- OS
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The SB15 and SBX do not unless you want it to. If course the KAK Super Tube is longer to begin with, and they have spacers for offsetting if desired.   The Shockwave can extend back from the end of the tube if you want it to. The Phase 5 Hex tube offsets a brace backwards by design, but it comes out to same length as a KAK tube with brace flush against back of it.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

thanks

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top