Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2016 10:10:41 PM EDT
So... looking for something that is super quick, and doesn't require batteries for my AR pistol. Something like ghost ring type sight that will fit an AR rail. Help me ARFCOM... you're my only hope.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:23:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Ghost ring sites give you tunnel vision when you need to have a wider field of view.

Like the purpose of a red dot is to keep both eyes open so youre aware of your surroundings at a greater degree field of view. Ghost ring sites defeats that concept in theory.

Just something to think about. That's what I was learneded anyways...

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:45:15 AM EDT
[#2]
A laser.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:50:04 AM EDT
[#3]
On a serious note. I'm contemplating the same thing.

I was thinking of using an A2 front, and something alot more open in the rear.

I was playing with a carry handle, and I was thinking maybe having a different rear aperture. Something that was open, and matched the front ears in a way. A v-notch of some sort.

Standard irons are not quick like a red dot. Think everyone just grabs a red dot and says to hell with irons. I don't like that, i want my irons.

I'm going for slim bug out kits. So, anything that requires batteries is it the window.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:09:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On a serious note. I'm contemplating the same thing.

I was thinking of using an A2 front, and something alot more open in the rear.

I was playing with a carry handle, and I was thinking maybe having a different rear aperture. Something that was open, and matched the front ears in a way. A v-notch of some sort.

Standard irons are not quick like a red dot. Think everyone just grabs a red dot and says to hell with irons. I don't like that, i want my irons.

I'm going for slim bug out kits. So, anything that requires batteries is it the window.
View Quote

I went w/ a Leupold Prismatic scope for that.   1x magnification but I don't need batteries unless I want to illuminate the reticle.  It's fast and I can live w/o batteries.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A laser.

View Quote

They make lasers that don't need batteries ?!?!?!
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A laser.

Genius! Make a laser that recharges like those emergency flashlights. They recharge the more you shoot!
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#7]
The leupold isn't made anymore, looks real nice. Vortex had there prism scope that is etched as well. Those are good options. But just might be a bit bulky for what I'm wanting. Compromises are always needed, so we'll see.

Certainly a good battery-less option.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The leupold isn't made anymore, looks real nice. Vortex had there prism scope that is etched as well. Those are good options. But just might be a bit bulky for what I'm wanting. Compromises are always needed, so we'll see.

Certainly a good battery-less option.
View Quote

I've got one of their 1x Vortex Prism scopes.  It's nice, but I think the Leupold is better.   With an astigmatism I prefer something like the prismatic over a red dot.  No bloom if I have to grab it w/o my glasses.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Look over the rear sight, using the sight ears to line up on the target....

This was how I was taught in the Infantry for CQB before Aimpoints existed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh. Probably gonna end up with an ACO or the PRO on the thing honestly. .. May just wait till I get an acog for my 6920 and move my mro over to the pistol.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

That works too. I was thinking *maybe* could be a bit more accurate with the aperture. Are you wanting to get kill shots every time? Or multiple body hits really quick?

As with everything, practice makes perfect. You practice enough, you could hipshot for kill shots all day like Johnny Matrix!
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That works too. I was thinking *maybe* could be a bit more accurate with the aperture. Are you wanting to get kill shots every time? Or multiple body hits really quick?

As with everything, practice makes perfect. You practice enough, you could hipshot for kill shots all day like Johnny Matrix!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The whole reason I put the little fella together was for the house. Easier to maneuver, still just as lethal. So the likelihood of me even using the sights is slim to fucking none. However, It doesn't make sense to have a weapon without sights.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:33:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 7:00:47 AM EDT
[#14]
ACOG TA45
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ghost ring sites give you tunnel vision when you need to have a wider field of view.

Like the purpose of a red dot is to keep both eyes open so youre aware of your surroundings at a greater degree field of view. Ghost ring sites defeats that concept in theory.

Just something to think about. That's what I was learneded anyways...

View Quote

You can shoot with both eyes open with a ghost ring sight just like a red dot.
The term "ghost" ring is just that , focused on the front sight the rear will nearly disappear or ghost not interfering with your peripheral vision.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#16]
OP, this might be what you seek:

XS Sight Systems

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Got an "in-use" pic on a pistol? those look intriguing.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'll bet they're way too low on an AR pistol.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#19]
https://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/18002_Scorpion-Evo-3-S1-Lpa-Adj-Sights

Maybe something like these?

Oops, to slow, but great minds think alike.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm desperate.

my only other option is to find an front sight that works with a carry handle, until I can fit a meprolight or aim point into the budget.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 12:07:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm desperate.

my only other option is to find an front sight that works with a carry handle, until I can fit a meprolight or aim point into the budget.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm desperate.

You could get an inexpensive PSA red dot.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 12:09:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You could get an inexpensive PSA red dot.
View Quote

I could, although that'd be 2 to 3 times more than a carry handle height front sight.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 5:11:28 AM EDT
[#23]
That XS ghost ring looks like it is meant to replace the aperture in an AR-15A2 rear sight, so that would raise it quite a bit.  Not sure if it will fit any backup irons.

It does look interesting, though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=122&t=691586

Tazaroo says they work fine, extended arm or cheek weld.  Archived thread at link showing CZ sights on just the upper receiver rail.

I imagine if you can look down a naked rail with a decent cheek weld, they'll work.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#25]
They aren't too low. Trying to put the buffer tube against your shoulder is why they are "too low." Cheek weld it up higher. It's not a magnum rifle, they used to sell a chin stock for these and you can shoot an AR with it against your chin anyway.

Chevron front post and express rear. Cut the close range aperture down to just wings and you get a clear sight picture with little in the way. A red dot will create a tunnel view if not mounted correctly and the longer ones make it worse.

One of those $40 green lasers off ebay is on my short list. It's Tueller distance engagement range, I don't have time to get it up to sight it. I need to place dot and pull trigger. When binary triggers get proven and cheaper it may get to the top of the list.

Don't forget Home Defense is about perimeter alarms, living the quiet life, not showing off your goodies to the public, having a hardened exterior on the home that can resist a 15 minute attack, etc. Last ditch guns, no so much. If someone can ring the doorbell and you open it, then what gun someone chooses is already too little to late and evidence of flawed tactical analysis.

Home Defense = they don't even try. I know, it's a gun forum, but Home Defense isn't about guns. It's about homes.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They aren't too low. Trying to put the buffer tube against your shoulder is why they are "too low." Cheek weld it up higher. It's not a magnum rifle, they used to sell a chin stock for these and you can shoot an AR with it against your chin anyway.

Chevron front post and express rear. Cut the close range aperture down to just wings and you get a clear sight picture with little in the way. A red dot will create a tunnel view if not mounted correctly and the longer ones make it worse.

One of those $40 green lasers off ebay is on my short list. It's Tueller distance engagement range, I don't have time to get it up to sight it. I need to place dot and pull trigger. When binary triggers get proven and cheaper it may get to the top of the list.

Don't forget Home Defense is about perimeter alarms, living the quiet life, not showing off your goodies to the public, having a hardened exterior on the home that can resist a 15 minute attack, etc. Last ditch guns, no so much. If someone can ring the doorbell and you open it, then what gun someone chooses is already too little to late and evidence of flawed tactical analysis.

Home Defense = they don't even try. I know, it's a gun forum, but Home Defense isn't about guns. It's about homes.
View Quote

FTW.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I thought about a set of these
http://www.utas-usa.com/accessories
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Have you considered the Meprolight Mepro 21?  No batteries required.

I recently put one with the "X" reticle on a 9mm AR pistol  and zeroed it at 25 yards. I like it so far.

Here is someone else's review:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kskov-Jp20
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I've been interested in the See All sights, but haven't heard much first hand experience so I'm hesitant to buy one.

Here
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top