Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2016 9:17:01 PM EDT
I'm looking for a new muzzle device for my 10.5" pistol and have speculated that a compensator would be more useful/effective instead of a typical muzzle-brake or flash-suppressor.  Any recommendations of ones to stay-away-from...?

Thanks

SS
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A compensator will still be loud. Most people use flash cans and flash hiders on short barrels.
View Quote
I considered a flash suppressor but OTOH a comp will help keep the barrel down ... flash isn't usually a problem in AZ (during the day)

Don't want a brake as I have those so I'm not sure what else's available out there and wondered what others are using.

Any combo flash hider/comp products ??

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:14:34 AM EDT
[#3]
BRT Linear Compensator is nice.

Also there are comps out there that use blast shields.

Pretty low profile as well

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:35:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the BRT on a pistol and 6.8 and it works to deflect sound as good as a shield.
I can't really notice much compensation in recoil. How I load the round makes the biggest difference.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:39:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks I'll look into that one - I also see the Kaw Valley linear comp - Both look good and are reasonable.

I've gotta wrap my mind around the concept of Forward directing comps-- I'm used to the upward cutout type... but if they work similar...

Nice looking piece btw

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks I'll look into that one - I also see the Kaw Valley linear comp - Both look good and are reasonable.
I've gotta wrap my mind around the concept of Forward directing comps-- I'm used to the upward cutout type... but if they work similar...

Nice looking piece btw
View Quote

I have a two Kaw Valley one 5.56 and the other 308, they make a very nice linear comp for the money. I also have a Troy Claymore (not a troy fan got it as a gift) anyway it's slightly longer and has teeth if thats your thing. All of them work well. I used to run KAK flash cans, but they are big bulky and look odd unless they covered by a rail.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not scared of recoil (shoot full house 44 Mag & 500 Mag often enough) but wouldn't a linear comp increase recoil due to the pushback?

Back in the 80's when I shot IPSC, a comp had a vertical port(s) to keep the muzzle down - so I got it in my head that I should look for something like that for the AR pistol.

I now frequently see things with side ports being marketed as a comp that are really a brake by my stds.

How do the linear comps compare with the top-port type?

I just finished reading the 3-part tests done over at Vuurwapen Blog- somewhat dated but interesting.

Seems like I should be more concerned with flash signature first and muzzle rise second - the A2 and Phantom score pretty darn good in both those areas

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I stuck a strike industries J-Comp on mine. Very loud, low flash, and does a very good job at reducing recoil/muzzle movement. Looks good and only $30.

The guy shooting the suppresed 9mm sbr right next to you may not be to thrilled though
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:04:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm not scared of recoil (shoot full house 44 Mag & 500 Mag often enough) but wouldn't a linear comp increase recoil due to the pushback?

Back in the 80's when I shot IPSC, a comp had a vertical port(s) to keep the muzzle down - so I got it in my head that I should look for something like that for the AR pistol.
I now frequently see things with side ports being marketed as a comp that are really a brake by my stds.

I just finished reading the 3-part tests done over at Vuurwapen Blog- somewhat dated but interesting.
Seems like I should be more concerned with flash signature first and muzzle rise second - the A2 and Phantom score pretty darn good in both those areas  
View Quote

TTAG tested a ton of muzzle devices and made an excellent video that showed flash reduction and recoil reduction.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I stuck a strike industries J-Comp on mine. Very loud, low flash, and does a very good job at reducing recoil/muzzle movement. Looks good and only $30.

The guy shooting the suppresed 9mm sbr right next to you may not be to thrilled though
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well... I'm speeechial...  I don't go to public ranges, I have a 300yd range right on the ranch... and I can turn my hearing aids off if I need to ...

But I do like the price and my other strike gear is good stuff for the money.

TTAG tested a ton of muzzle devices

Thanks for the tip... Where would I find that?

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:16:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Linear comp has multiple ports facing forward instead of a single port in a uncompensated barrel. The additional ports disperse the exiting gases which slows them reducing backwards force. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it...  From what I have read with folks doing actual tests, there is not much measurable difference with a linear comp.

The problem with vertical ported barrels is when shooting under a covered area the noise level increases dramatically. Linear comps throw the sound down range. Its a definite advantage with these short barreled, rifle cartridge firearms.

I think you could use an adjustable gas block/light buffer and reduce your recoil more effectively than using a muzzle comp.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:04:06 AM EDT
[#12]
The kind called a suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:52:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well... I'm speeechial...  I don't go to public ranges, I have a 300yd range right on the ranch... and I can turn my hearing aids off if I need to ...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TTAG tested a ton of muzzle devices

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/04/jeremy-s/ar-15-muzzle-brake-shootout-2/

There is a link to the first test in the first paragraph on that page. Hope it helps. They tested on a 16" barrel, but results should translate well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the info guys, I haven't been over to TTAG in years (at first I thought that was a user name...heh) ... looks comprehensive so definitely will check it out.
What I was trying to say is that reducing recoil is not a big concern but is something to consider after the other wants.

My original idea was to reduce muzzle flip to keep it down and get back on target quicker, thus the search for a "vertical comp"

The "Linear comp" intrigues me and I like its looks, but I got the feeling it might actually increase recoil with all the gasses pushing back. It does then become a consideration but I can see the advantage when one is shooting under a cover.
I have a Bushmaster with their "AK Brake" and that this IS loud even out on the open range- I put a sleeve over it to block the side ports and leave the top holes open, which helps some.  
I already have A2, YHM Phantom, a Cooley brake (also loud) and maybe a couple other types on various guns.

After reading above, I'm starting to change my priority to a flash suppressor first then a vertical or linear comp.

It should have low to no flash signature from the target point of view, keep the muzzle fairly level 9but not push it down too much), and be relatively compact and light since it is a pistol without a brace.

Side brakes are out this time.
Maybe the way to go is to get a couple, each with a specific purpose and switch them around as needed... that's the ticket.

However, I ain't gonna hang Franklins from my barrel.
Thanks again, I got some reading and shopping to do....

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Recoil on the 5.56 is so minimal you can shoot the gun with it placed butt against the jaw. There was an AR pistol jaw rest marketed at one time to do exactly that. 3Gun shooters have fine tuned the weight and gas cycle to eliminate it with their specialty guns and many don't use a brake. After all, they are right behind it all day every shot and a loud brake isn't their friend either.

The 3Gunners went to the extra effort because they rank themselves by the split second on doubles in competition. Note very carefully after 45 years of use, the M16/M4 still uses the typical A2 flash hider or BE Myers. Recoil isn't even on the to do list.

I use the BRT Covert on a 6.8 and a 10.5 pistol, it does throw the noise downrange even under a canopy. Test firing it no one else on the line made any comments about noise or flash. In the open woods no hearing protection the 6.8 doesn't ring the ears the first shot. I noted more noise shooting handguns under a canopy than the AR pistol in open air at the same range, with berm walls on both sides of the ten lanes.

Brakes are the popular option, so are Harleys, Hondas, or diesels with no mufflers. Some people think the more noise they make the more impressive they are. Observe the masses, do the opposite. The minor and difficult to perceive increase in recoil for a 2MOA gun might be an issue shooting at a one inch bull at 100 yards, but if it's an 18MOA center of mass you are aiming at, then noise dispersal down range at the target is better for you. You'd need to be top 5% in your class to need recoil abatement and it would be on a race gun nearly unusable for hunting or self defense.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Recoil on the 5.56 is so minimal you can shoot the gun with it placed butt against the jaw.

Yes, I've done that in the past... impresses the chicks heh heh

I read through the TTAG tests and the results and pics were very interesting.

I ordered a JP Flashider, due to their high score in the flash suppression test and because they are now discontinued and the Meyers is twice the price, so finding one later may be difficult.

The linear BRT comp didn't do as good, as far as flash suppression, but I may order one anyway for its good points and I do like its looks and I'm sure it will end up on some barrel around here...

My normal target practice for rifle is 200-300yd so I don't see shooting the pistol at any more than 50-100 yds with an open dot reflex type sight.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#17]
If you want to go cheap, get the KAK slim flash can. I have one on my 10.5, made a difference with the noise and blast being projected down range.
Still loud, but nowhere near as bad as the standard bird cage that it came with.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:34:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Get an STD
View Quote

Is that your design? Im looking for something similar to what OP wants but for a 10.5in 556 build, and i like the look of that with the knurled surface. Looks cool.
Do you have any videos of it being used?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#20]
A linear comp or a pig or KAK flash can
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Linear comps do not increase recoil, the spread out the jetting at uncorking and should spread out that last part of the recoil but it is neglible.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#22]
PWS Triad.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I rolled my own.  I am very happy with it even though everyone around me hates it.

There are several similar available from various manufacturers.  Most will reduce the recoil at the price of dB and concussion for all of those around you.  I don't shoot at ranges so I enjoy the reduced recoil.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I run BattleComp 2.0

Haters gonna hate. It's loud as hell but I'm usually running a can on my SBR.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Have any of you noticed a meaningful POI change or groups opening up significantly when you swap devices, say from a brake to a flash hider?
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I use a 51t muzzle brake. Plus a can. Great combo. Loud and disturbing to others. I always take the furthest spot from others so as to not harm their shooting time.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#27]
I put the Kaw Valley on my 8.5" 300 blackout pistol. Works great, reduces muzzle rise
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top