Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/18/2016 11:07:22 AM EDT
So I set out to build a Piston AR Pistol that could use a folding brace and still fire while folded. It took over a year and a few bucks (ok more then a few......) Here is what is going on from front to back.

ARAK-21 Upper in OD Green ambi-eject with 12.5 inch 5.56 (1in8)
Kaw Valley linear comp
Mako PTK\VTS combo
Troy HK style Back up Iron Sights
Eotech 512
Magpul Rail Covers
Troy rail-mount QD point (part of my system to keep the brace folded)
Quinten Defense Lower
Rogers Tactical Mag Well Grip (works with Gen3 Pmags)
Anderson Rifle Lower Parts Kit
Yankee Hill EZ pull Pivot and Takedown pins
KNS Anti-Rotation pins OD Green
Odin Works extended mag release OD Green
Battle Arms ambi safety selector OD Green
Areo Precision Trigger Guard OD Green
Magpul K2 Pistol Grip OD Green
Law Tactical Gen 3 Folder
Black Creek Precision SB15 buffer tube extension (not made any more that I can find)
Sig Tac SB15 brace
Phase 5 Tactical SB15 replacement strap OD Green
Magpul MS1-MS3 QD Adapter Ranger Green (part of my system to keep the brace folded)

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

Over all I keep it folded while I shoot, but have the option to have a brace incase some stabilization is needed.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#1]
That came out looking real nice.  

Reminds me of when I had an AR180 with folding stock. I should have never sold it!

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Needs a shockwave brace now.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:50:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I always wonder if people don't go sbr(why not? But ok anyway) why they go with the brace and not a shockwave. Personally I'd do a shockwave folder. But I do sbr. So don't gotta worry about shockwave or brace forever
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:51:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice pistol, OP.  How much does the upper weigh?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I do not have a proper scale, but if I had to guess I would say around 6.5lbs or so. It is not a light weight, but I did not build it to be. For me it works and feels just right. The ARAK upper needs about half the cleaning of my DI ARs and has recoil feel closer to a 22LR then a 5.56 round. I also run this upper (with 16 inch barrel) on a few different rifle set-ups as well. I have even considered removing the brace\folder and just having an end cap without any kind of tube at all. I really like the forward charging on it, the abmbi options, the EZ caliber change (from 5.56 to 762x39 to 300 AAC in a few minutes), the piston system and the over all feel of it in my hand. I recently watched a review of the ARAK on youtube made by a guy who was kind of a cry baby about the upper. I found it funny how he claimed that he could not learn to use the forward charging without "un-learning" how to charge other firearms. Like Homer Simpson he had to forget something to fit any "new" thing into his brain. It really comes down to what works for you and what will not work for you. I personally love the ARAK and sold all but one of my other DI uppers after I got it. It's not that I don't like DI ARs, they are just not as useful to me for multi-platform firearms. Is the ARAK upper heavy? Its is a bit. Is the ARAK upper 2 heavy for me, not at all. Is there a "learning curve"? A little. But no more or less then learning how to run an AK, a SCAR or any other non-rear-charging piston. Over all this is the perfect (for me) pistol set-up I have ever built\owned\fired.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always wonder if people don't go sbr(why not? But ok anyway) why they go with the brace and not a shockwave. Personally I'd do a shockwave folder. But I do sbr. So don't gotta worry about shockwave or brace forever
View Quote

I agree with you........sort of. I run this pistol most of the time as a pistol with brace folded and out of the way. Im not looking to do an SBR for a few reasons. The big one is all the extra hoops you need to jump thru. If it were just an extra 200$ and no extra paperwork\registration crap I would be into it. But that is not the case. Another reason is I just don't really need an SBR for anything. They are fun and can be nice to have, but if I had to be in a "defend myself and or my home" type of place, I have better firearms for getting that job done. I think when you fill out the 4473 at your local shop, there should be a check box for SBR (and pay the 200$ tax) and that's it. The rest of the SBR process is silly and useless.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Needs a shockwave brace now.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#8]
That thing weighs 6 or 7 lbs huh
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Why didn't you buy an ACE folding mechanism and save yourself a few hundred bucks vs the law folder????

Looks nice though.  Iike them, just a little heavy for my taste.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#10]
If you swap that Sig Brace for a Shockwave, you will shave a bit of weight, and it will be much more streamlined when it's folded over.  Still looks good.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I have been thinking about the Shockwave brace a bit. But I really think I may just get an end cap and do away with brace and tube all together. On an ARAK the buffer tube has no real use because a buffer and spring are not needed (unlike other AR type pistols it cannot be counted for over all length). I know its a shocker, but I only use the brace as a brace. 99% of the time its folded when I shoot it. As for why no ACE folder is being used......I don't want to make it into an SBR of any kind. While SBRs are nice, they are not worth the crap you need to go thru to get them. Plus the hoops you need to jump thru to take a SBR across state lines is silly. Overall I like the set-up even if it is a bit heavy. I know the number one complaint about ARAKs is the weight, but its not anything that bugs me about the platform.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 3:15:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Ace folding mechanism could be used to host a arm brace or whatever it does not necessarily have to host a butt stock. So why did you spend like $300 on a folding mechanism does specifically designed to work with the AR-15 action spring when you do not have an action spring there do you?

as for whether or not the arm brace count in the overall length that is unclear since Black Aces tactical sales non NFA firearm with the Shockwave blade on a folding mechanism and ATF told them it counts towards overall length.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#13]
On an ARAK-21 it would not count 2 overall length because it has no "functional" reason for being on it as an ARAK do not use a spring or buffer.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#14]
That doesn't seem to matter on the AK pistols.  The tube is there to hold the brace, which is a functional part.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top