Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/16/2016 11:09:40 AM EDT
What are the legalities of building an AR15 pistol from an 80% lower I already own?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#1]
As in, it's still an 80% lower, or it's an 80% lower that you completed and already built in to a rifle?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As in, it's still an 80% lower, or it's an 80% lower that you completed and already built in to a rifle?
View Quote

I have both.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Once you build it into a rifle, the ATF always views it as a rifle.  A virgin lower sold as "other" or something you make yourself will have no such provenance and can be built into a pistol.

I would never condone violation of laws or ATF regulations... but it would be difficult to tell if an unserialized completed 80% lower had ever been built into a rifle first.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Once you build it into a rifle, the ATF always views it as a rifle.  A virgin lower sold as "other" or something you make yourself will have no such provenance and can be built into a pistol.

I would never condone violation of laws or ATF regulations... but it would be difficult to tell if an unserialized completed 80% lower had ever been built into a rifle first.
View Quote

I agree, it's an unenforceable law but that's never stopped law makers in the past.  I had heard that ATF required a specific request document be submitted asking permission to build/buy an AR15 pistol and that the wait period was several months/years.  I'm not looking to break the law either, that's why I'm asking.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I agree, it's an unenforceable law but that's never stopped law makers in the past.  I had heard that ATF required a specific request document be submitted asking permission to build/buy an AR15 pistol and that the wait period was several months/years.  I'm not looking to break the law either, that's why I'm asking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No sir.  You may build as many AR pistols as you can afford.  I don't know what your state laws are that define a pistol, so be aware of those.  

If you mean Short Barreled Rifles, yes.  You must submit an ATF Form 1, pay the $200 tax, and wait for approval before building your SBR.  There is a subforum here just for SBRs - they have lots of smart people who can answer questions about it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No sir.  You may build as many AR pistols as you can afford.  I don't know what your state laws are that define a pistol, so be aware of those.  

If you mean Short Barreled Rifles, yes.  You must submit an ATF Form 1, pay the $200 tax, and wait for approval before building your SBR.  There is a subforum here just for SBRs - they have lots of smart people who can answer questions about it. .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you mean Short Barreled Rifles, yes.  You must submit an ATF Form 1, pay the $200 tax, and wait for approval before building your SBR.  There is a subforum here just for SBRs - they have lots of smart people who can answer questions about it. .

I'm glad I asked about this.  Do you know how the two are defined to differentiate?  I would have thought that a pistol would be more heavily regulated than a SBR.  Showing my ignorance, I guess.  BTW, I could not find a forum for AR15 SBR.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm glad I asked about this.  Do you know how the two are defined to differentiate?  I would have thought that a pistol would be more heavily regulated than a SBR.  Showing my ignorance, I guess.  BTW, I could not find a forum for AR15 SBR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An SBR has a stock and is designed to be shouldered a pistol is not and does not have a stock. If you shoulder a pistol you have magically created an illegal SBR according to the ATF.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

An SBR has a stock and is designed to be shouldered a pistol is not and does not have a stock. If you shoulder a pistol you have magically created an illegal SBR according to the ATF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been cut off.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  Once you build it into a rifle, the ATF always views it as a rifle.  A virgin lower sold as "other" or something you make yourself will have no such provenance and can be built into a pistol.

View Quote

Well....

80% > lower > pistol > rifle > pistol

80% > lower > rifle > pistol > prison

Makes no sense, but that's FDR for ya'.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Although I have made several 80%ers, I still elected to buy a serialized lower (Detroit Gun Works) to smooth out the receiver to pistol to SBR process.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well....

80% > lower > pistol > rifle > pistol>prison (before the Thompson center arms decision)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Once you build it into a rifle, the ATF always views it as a rifle.  A virgin lower sold as "other" or something you make yourself will have no such provenance and can be built into a pistol.

Well....

80% > lower > pistol > rifle > pistol>prison (before the Thompson center arms decision)

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well....

Correct.  The Supremes ruled in our favor.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an 80% Anderson lower I have just finished. So is it legal to make it into a pistol?  Is there any issues with ordering the pistol upper this time? I will order the pistol buffer tube here soon. Since it is not a SBR will I have to fill out any paperwork or register it? Is there any paperwork you have to fill out  it being a pistol? Sorry for all the questions just never done this and am not familiar with the particulars on it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I have an 80% Anderson lower I have just finished. So is it legal to make it into a pistol? Yes.

Is there any issues with ordering the pistol upper this time? If you have the stripped lower mentioned above, then no issue.

I will order the pistol buffer tube here soon. Since it is not a SBR will I have to fill out any paperwork or register it? No paperwork, just build it, same as if you were building a rifle.

Is there any paperwork you have to fill out  it being a pistol? No.

Sorry for all the questions just never done this and am not familiar with the particulars on it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks very much for the quick reply.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What are the legalities of building an AR15 pistol from an 80% lower I already own?
View Quote

For this question: everything is legal!
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:22:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an 80% lower that I want to build into a rifle, but I was planning at some time to get another 80% to build as pistol too. I figure if I invest in the jig, then why not do both.

Anyway, I see a 4th of July deal at PSA for a pistol upper. I already own a complete AR that I built from a serialized stripped lower. Is there a constructive possession concern if go ahead and buy the upper for use with the 80% lower or is that too risky?

Also, am I always at risk for a constructive possession judgement call if I buy pistol upper parts and my only serialized lower is on my rifle? I would like to have the pistol, but not badly enough to run afoul of this vague law.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:  I have an 80% lower that I want to build into a rifle, but I was planning at some time to get another 80% to build as pistol too. I figure if I invest in the jig, then why not do both.

Anyway, I see a 4th of July deal at PSA for a pistol upper. I already own a complete AR that I built from a serialized stripped lower. Is there a constructive possession concern if go ahead and buy the upper for use with the 80% lower or is that too risky?

Also, am I always at risk for a constructive possession judgement call if I buy pistol upper parts and my only serialized lower is on my rifle? I would like to have the pistol, but not badly enough to run afoul of this vague law.
View Quote

If your LGS has a stripped lower for $75, it would be cheap insurance for your pistol parts.  Will transfer to you as "other".  Your 80% might be enough insurance, but @ what point is a jury convinced that you had an intention other than assembling an illegal SBR?

I have this virgin serialized lower that I was going to build my pistol out of...

I have this 80% lower that I was going to build my pistol out of...

I have this solid block of aluminum I was going to build my pistol out of...

I have this collection of aluminum beer cans I was going to cast my pistol out of...

I have this collection of Legos I was going to build my lower out of...  
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 7:04:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have an 80% lower that I want to build into a rifle,
Anyway, I see a 4th of July deal at PSA for a pistol upper. I already own a complete AR that I built from a serialized stripped lower. .
View Quote

If it is a rifle first and pistol second, it is a no-no, according to what I have been advised.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:  If it is a rifle first and pistol second, it is a no-no, according to what I have been advised.
View Quote

Correct, according to the lords @ BATFE.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Correct, according to the lords @ BATFE. definitions found in the NFA and upheld by the SCOTUS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:  If it is a rifle first and pistol second, it is a no-no, according to what I have been advised.

Correct, according to the lords @ BATFE. definitions found in the NFA and upheld by the SCOTUS.

FIFY

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#22]
oops

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top