AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/29/2016 10:23:36 AM EDT
So I'm building a side charge 9mm ar15.

On the last stage pretty much.

Anderson lower
PSA mag block
4 inch barrel
Matrix side charge

So originally I tried some 4inch knurled handguard with a kak micro flash can. Didn't like it. Just looked whack.

So I decided to go to the standard slim 9mm flash can the 3.25"

With my measurements I came up with an ideal 5inch rail. 5.5 if I coukdnt find a 5 inch..

I been looking for 3 days now for a 5 or 5.5 inch free float
The only one I found was an Odin works which is pretty pricey and I think a kak which is another pricey one. Like $160-190

Can anyone help with previous exp of finding anything?
Or am I gonna have to cut a carbine length one? Which I've never done and don't have the slightest idea.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I came across slr too. But Damn same thing. $180ish for a hand guard. Yeeesh. I'm not cheap but i don't really wanna spend 180 on just the hand guard. This Damn 9mm ar is killing me. I shuda bought my mpx sooner and woulda never build this ar9
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately, 5" and 5.5" are considered irregular lengths for rails, so there are very few companies willing to invest in making such odd-ball sizes.  As a result, you gotta "pay-to-play" as they say.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoulda gotten a 5inch barrel and just used the micro. But I'm trying to go really small on this. Which it is. Its awesome.

The other reason is I can't even put an afg since its a little longer than 4inch. I might have to just get a 5inch barrel. Anyone else?

Might be back to the drawing board...well measuring board...err ruler...tape
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#5]
try the UTG pro QUAD 4 inch handguard with a KAK SLIM MICRO, its a nice little setup
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
try the UTG pro QUAD 4 inch handguard with a KAK SLIM MICRO, its a nice little setup
View Quote

That's what the kak guy recommended. But it just didmt appeal to me. Maybe cuz I don't have the utg and tried a random 4 inch.

I think I'm gonna have to cut a handguard.

Do you happen to have a pic of that setup?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#7]
a friend of mine built it out that way i will ask him for a pic and post it as soon as i can..

if you want to cut up a handguard a cheap DPMS solid tube is an easy way to try it out, about 50 bucks or so and you could cut it with a hacksaw if needed and clean it up.  leave the end raw alum or paint it?  not rail on the top but i think most people are just running a doing a dot sight on the receiver..
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:26:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:39:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy whatever generic handguard you want and cut it down.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:41:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Odin works 5.5" Keymod

I have the 15.5" on my noveske and love it.  It's $140 directly from them.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top