Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/22/2016 5:30:54 PM EDT
I've never thought I needed the anti rotation pins but I'm starting to doubt that. My last pistol build using an Anderson lower and an extra Colt trigger and hammer, I can watch the hammer pin rotate when I pull the trigger to dry fire the gun. Will this case any wear to the lower or is it an issue at all.

Btw, the pin is turning almost half a turn on each trigger pull.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've never thought I needed the anti rotation pins but I'm starting to doubt that. My last pistol build using an Anderson lower and an extra Colt trigger and hammer, I can watch the hammer pin rotate when I pull the trigger to dry fire the gun. Will this case any wear to the lower or is it an issue at all.

Btw, the pin is turning almost half a turn on each trigger pull.
View Quote

I'd say your estimate is high, since the hammer goes through less than a quarter turn during each cycle.

If it moves it will cause wear.  But the wear is insignificant in comparison to the lifetime of the lower, unless the lower is itself defective.

An extra Anderson lower is probably cheaper than a set of anti rotation pins, and the likelihood you'll notice wear from the rotation in your natural lifetime is pretty low.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, and yeah its not a half a turn as I first suspected. I still have some grease left over from a Geissele trigger, would it help if I put some grease on the hammer pin?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, and yeah its not a half a turn as I first suspected. I still have some grease left over from a Geissele trigger, would it help if I put some grease on the hammer pin?
View Quote

In the grand scheme it won't matter. If you feel better greasing it then go ahead - it won't make a measurable difference I think.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have picked up a few sets of the KNS Precision non rotating pins for around $25 to $30 a pop.  If you search around with the sites Industry partners some of them have good deals going on for them.

They are sometimes a pain to get installed with certain triggers but just take your time and they will eventually go all the way in.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to shoot it some more and see if it causes any issues. I think my lower was out of spec becuase I've never had such a hard time with a trigger and I bet the kns pins would be a real pain.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I use KNS pins, regardless of the "you don't need them" crowd.

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Dave N
View Quote

I use them in all my 80% lowers as cheap insurance
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Dave N
View Quote

I love them simply for the finger index point
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a pin walk out of the receiver after only the first 30-45 rounds. I didn't notice it until I got home and noticed that the safety would go to safe when the hammer had been dropped. I haven't had a chance to get back to the range to see if it just wasn't seated properly or if this will be reproduced.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I had a pin walk out of the receiver after only the first 30-45 rounds. I didn't notice it until I got home and noticed that the safety would go to safe when the hammer had been dropped. I haven't had a chance to get back to the range to see if it just wasn't seated properly or if this will be reproduced.

View Quote
I've got about 500 rounds through it so far and haven't had any issue with the pin walking out, just an issue of rotation. But as previously stated I think my lower may be out of spec.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top