Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/3/2016 4:57:54 PM EDT
I've got the itch for an Ar pistol.Looking at 11.5" barrels.Too long?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#1]
12.5". Same as the longest barrel on my SBRs.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:06:32 AM EDT
[#2]
You can make it any length you want. I don't think there is a right or wrong length unless you have a specific purpose in mind where it doesn't make sense.

I have a 10.5" 223 Wylde and like the length for a range toy. It's balanced pretty well with a extended KAK buffer tube.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can make it any length you want. I don't think there is a right or wrong length unless you have a specific purpose in mind where it doesn't make sense.

I have a 10.5" 223 Wylde and like the length for a range toy. It's balanced pretty well with a extended KAK buffer tube.
View Quote

Why would it be a range toy? It can easily reach out a couple hundred yards with plenty of stopping ability.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why would it be a range toy? It can easily reach out a couple hundred yards with plenty of stopping ability.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

10.5" is my limit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#5]
16" works fine.  You can confuse folks that way by sliding a stock on & off.  Supposedly a fellow recently got hassled by the local constabulary AND BATFE @ a gun show for having a 16" AR pistol, until the officers realized they were idiots.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Just built a11.5". Ballistic Advantage barrel , BCM trigger. Geissele MK8 rail 13", Noveske KX5. I researched the hell out of it before I bought anything. Dwell time and such.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:40:59 AM EDT
[#7]
The longest (of my 2) is 11.5.
Wish I would have went shorter, tbh.
I wish it was the same size as my wiener
(1")

but seriously, my next AR is going to be a PWS MK107.
7.75" seems quite a bit shorter than the 11.5" when going through doors and stuff.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:07:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

16" works fine.  You can confuse folks that way by sliding a stock on & off.  Supposedly a fellow recently got hassled by the local constabulary AND BATFE @ a gun show for having a 16" AR pistol, until the officers realized they were idiots.
View Quote
I thought once a pistol always a pistol? If we are being technical. I realize its semantics.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:52:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought once a pistol always a pistol? If we are being technical. I realize its semantics.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope pistol to rifle to pistol OK.(assuming barrel length / tax stamp requirements met)
Rifle to pistol  = unregistered sbr or some such crap

Eta: here is what the FBATF has to say about it
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 6:33:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Just another reason to abolish the NFA.  They should just be a firearm.

CD
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#11]
11.5" is about the perfect length for .223/5.56mm, if you plan to do more than punch paper. I hunted whitetails with mine, heavy bullets at less than 100yds and they dropped.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nope pistol to rifle to pistol OK.(assuming barrel length / tax stamp requirements met)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as he originally built it as a pistol he would be fine, but otherwise it would be a no go. Rifle to pistol is unregistered SBR, but if built as a pistol first you can swap back and forth as often as you like, just make sure you keep the parts together as a kit. As in you would not want to be caught with just the stock and a short barrelled upper. But if you keep the stock and 16"+ upper together, with the pistol your fine. Just make sure you attach the 16" upper first then the stock otherwise again you made an SBR.

Its confusing, it's why SBRs should not be NFA. If you give a rifle a shorter barrel it makes less deadly typically not more deadly. Easier to conceal but walking around in a trench coat in this day and age is going to get you noticed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.

10.5" is my limit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

10.5" is my limit.

This

10.5" x39 pistol is what I have and its great
8" for 300blk
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I wanted short...as short as I could "reasonably" go. I already have a 16" rifle and I wanted lightweight and small.

My buddy built a 10.5' and I landed up with a 7". Mine is considerably smaller/lighter than his...it's surprising what 3" off the barrel will do.

It's shoots fine, never given me a lick of problems. If I ever have to use it on something other than a target, I'm guessing some rounds loaded with Sierra BlitzKing bullets will do the job nicely.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wanted short...as short as I could "reasonably" go. I already have a 16" rifle and I wanted lightweight and small.

My buddy built a 10.5' and I landed up with a 7". Mine is considerably smaller/lighter than his...it's surprising what 3" off the barrel will do.

It's shoots fine, never given me a lick of problems. If I ever have to use it on something other than a target, I'm guessing some rounds loaded with Sierra BlitzKing bullets will do the job nicely.
View Quote

There is some guy w a you tube channel, poor or po boy special, he has done lots of ballistic testing with his 7.5", lots of good info.  You really can't just guess about performance from that length.  There are several that do surprisingly well from that length, in terms of energy and terminal effect, but most do not do well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Depends on caliber and how far you want to be accurate. I had a 10.5 inch barrel 308 but just swapped to a 12.5 inch barrel. Perfect for close quarters and accurate up to 500 yards. Works for me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top