Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/13/2016 3:27:34 PM EDT
I built a 7.5" pistol in 223 w/ A2 flashhider.  I expected to be seeing a fireball the size of a buick when I fired it, but instead got almost nothing.  I really didn't expect a complete burn with all of 5" of effective barrel, but I guess it happens.  I shot a few different brands of cheapo ammo - Wolf Gold, Armscor, Barnaul Silver - pistol was impressively accurate, but similar muzzleblastless results.  I've seen some pictures on this forum with enormous fireballs coming out of 10.5" barrels - you guys reloading special with slow powders just to make them?  I'm not actually envious of the fireballs, or determined to make them - I'm just curious.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#1]
could be a few things

1. your ammo isn't very hot

2. flash suppressants present in the powder.

3. If its bright out its going to cover up quite a bit of flash.

Also your flashhider isn't helping

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never tried an A2 on
anything shorter than a 16"
carbine, but it is a very
effective flash hider, ever
bit as effective as a Phantom
or a Vortex.

But I am impressed it might
be that effective on a short
pistol in .556.

John
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]
An A2 on a 7.5"? Many times in daylight, an otherwise decent fireball can't be seen all that well. Try it again in total darkness...

I have 2x 10.5"s and 1x 11.5". Even the longer 11.5" with an A1/A2 has a noticeable fireball in total darkness.

My 10.5" with the awesome 3-prong AAC Blackout (thought of as one of THE best FHs out there) still has 3 faint red pencil-thin "jets" coming out of it for about 3-4". Best I've used by far tho.

Also fwiw, I've also tried the early oem 3 prong on the 10.5" and 11.5". Still had a baseball-ish or larger sized fireball.

Also tried theYHM. Altho there was still some noticeable flash, It did do better then then the A1/A2 or 3 prong.

All with full power M193.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is a 7.5 barrel with a 3" CAR style FH and daytime fireball vid. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Ggjw4Murk[/youtube]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#5]
You may just be blinking, and missing the flash?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I even went so far as to hold the pistol to the side of me at dusk and fire it into the air, looking at the barrel from the side just to see it.  Nada.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I even went so far as to hold the pistol to the side of me at dusk and fire it into the air, looking at the barrel from the side just to see it.  Nada.
View Quote

Hope your shooting out in the middle of nowhere and expect you felt a significant concussive blast with that exercise.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hope your shooting out in the middle of nowhere and expect you felt a significant concussive blast with that exercise.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live on 200 wooded acres, backed up to thousands of acres of nothing.  I always shoot safely.  Don't remember any concussive blast worth mentioning either.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#9]
<<<------------------

10.5" with A2 firing TulAmmo .223.  It was about 5-10 minutes after sunset.  It was actually darker than the pic might lead you to believe, but far from dark.

I have a 7.5" too but it has a flash can.  It doesn't create much of a fireball.  

You want real fire, step up to a 10.5" .308 !

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I live on 200 wooded acres, backed up to thousands of acres of nothing.  I always shoot safely.  Don't remember any concussive blast worth mentioning either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would think you would have felt significant blast and heat. Not sure how to explain your pistol not producing it... maybe the same reason your not seeing a fireball.
I have linear comps on my pistols and don't feel/see any fireball from a 10.5" 223/556, 7.5"  or 8.5" 300blk. Haven't tried my 7.5" 7.62x39 yet.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top