Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/8/2016 12:46:29 AM EDT
Hello all, looking for thoughts on this pistol build. Trying to make as many parts as I can. Spent the day today making the buffer tube. Had no plan just wanted something different. Not sure if i like it yet. May machine the end into more of a ball shape. Looking for comments and suggestions of what else I can do to make this thing "different" May try to make my own hand guard. Saw some carbon fiber hex tube that got me thinking........

So far:
Palmetto slick side upper
10 1/2 in barrel
80% lower
homemade 7075 pistol buffer

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:03:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the process of deciding on getting the PSA slick slide upper myself  that's similar to yours for my first build. The only thing keeping me from mashing the gas is it not having forward assist....... What do you think? Advantages or disadvantages?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:22:53 AM EDT
[#2]
This is the first slick side for me. I've owned many AR's, never yet have used the forward assist. That's pretty unscientific, there's others that may say different. I'm comfortable without it. I'm interested in the ejection direction without the deflector though. Can't wait to try it. Got more machine work to do......
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:43:01 AM EDT
[#3]
The one I'm probabily getting is: PSA 8.5" PISTOL 5.56 M-LOK FREEDOM SLICKSIDE UPPER - NO BCG OR CH.

Meh, maybe not having FA will save a little weight. I wanted a dust cover. But I'm sure I can throw one of those on later, right? :)
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Only time I've used a forward assist was on my 6920, on the first range visit, the first time a round was chambered.

Never had to touch it since, but I keep my Firearms squeeky clean.  If you are a "run hard, put away set" kind of person I could see it being needed eventually.

That said, I personally keep it around.  Could be a pain in the ass to need and not have.  It's not like an AK where you have a handle you can use.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is the first slick side for me. I've owned many AR's, never yet have used the forward assist. That's pretty unscientific, there's others that may say different. I'm comfortable without it. I'm interested in the ejection direction without the deflector though. Can't wait to try it. Got more machine work to do......
View Quote

I do not have a slick side pistol but I do have a slick side rifle upper.  It ejects just fine slightly back and to the right. Id never be concerned with it unless I was a left handed shooter. As for having a forward assist and dust cover...id ask this question. Will this be something that you want your life to depend on?  If not then slick side is just fine. Im not saying the forward assist is a must nor is the dust cover. In fact, lots of people say they NEVER have had to use a forward assist including myself and there have been tests showing dirt being poured directly onto a bolt and the gun running just fine so is a dust cover REALLY needed...honestly who knows, but I will say id rather have them and not need them than not have them and need them IF it was for a life defense build. if for just plinking, cool factor or hunting fun then slick side is good to go in my opinion. Mine is on my coyote hunting rig. Saved a little bit of weight and was dirt cheap for an accurate set-up.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:01:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the buffer tube. I assume there are enough threads on the buffer tube to add a back plate and catch the edge of the buffer retainer so it doesn't flip out. How are you going to finish the buffer or do you plan on anodizing?

Interested on how it all turns out!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the buffer tube. I assume there are enough threads on the buffer tube to add a back plate and catch the edge of the buffer retainer so it doesn't flip out. How are you going to finish the buffer or do you plan on anodizing?

Interested on how it all turns out!
View Quote

Yes. the lip is there to retain buffer pin, I'm going to drill and tap the take down hole for a set screw so I don't need a plate. I'm trying to keep this thing as minimalist / simple as possible. No frills. I'm not sure on finish / coatings yet, It may stay just the way it is.
Function over form on this build. I'll post more pics at it comes together.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top