Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/4/2016 10:34:07 PM EDT
Thinking I need an ar pistol. Trying to decide between 7.62x39 and 6.8. What's the best barrel length?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Best for what purpose? Details please.

I wanted a 7.62x39 pistol, but I didn't really need one.... otherwise it would be finished now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Range toy and maybe 100 yard or less deer hunting. We have a special pistol season that I could use it in. Trying to justify if myself. Kinda want but 556 steel ammo isn't much more than the x39. And I already have mags. Would sbr but don't want to mess with walking papers if I go out of state.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#3]
so I built my 7.62x39 ar pistol for multiple purposes.
1) went with a 10.5 inch barrel due to 150-200 fps lost in 6 inches less barrel vs 7.5 inch loses almost 300-350 and doesn't get a full spin in a 1-10 barrel
2) with an extended kak sig brace buffer setup you will be 27.5 inches from muzzle threads to buffer tube end which will be legal and over the 26 inch rule for legally adding a vertical foregrip.
3) I just submitted my paperwork for a form 1 suppressor and an 8 inch suppressor will queit it down a lot and keep it a reasonable length when moving with it being that it will be 18.5 inches or so but my friend has a 7.5 in barrel and is running a 10 inch suppressor and will be a inch short and quieter maybe.
4) I have shot my 10.5 upper with a micro 2 moa primary arms red dot at 125 yrds standing and can get a good group around 2 moa
I love the 7.62x39 round in an ar there is a lot of info on other posts just search it

6.8 has a following also and I know there are great reports out there
just made mine to run cheap ammo suppressed and legal to hunt with
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#4]
If its primarily a range toy, I'd stick with the X39 and under 100yds the barrel length won't matter. Just add a linear brake or similar to send the blast down range.  
I went with a short barrel 7.5" because of the fun factor.

6.8 will cost more to shoot. If you were primarily hunting I'd go 6.8 with a longer barrel. I went 14.5" light weight 6.8 barrel with pinned comp so a stock could be used while hunting.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If its primarily a range toy, I'd stick with the X39 and under 100yds the barrel length won't matter. Just add a linear brake or similar to send the blast down range.  

6.8 will cost more to shoot. If you were primarily hunting I'd go 6.8 with a longer barrel. I went 14.5" light weight 6.8 barrel with pinned comp so a stock could be used while hunting.
View Quote

^ that would be a rifle not a pistol. He wouldn't be able to "pistol" hunt.

X39 in a ar is really fun! Cheap to shoot.  It may take some work to get it 100% reliable though.
Do you reload? Have you thought about 300 blackout?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
11 inch!
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:09:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just providing the reason behind the barrel length on my 6.8... agreed it wouldn't fit the OP's purpose.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes I reload. The blackout is kinda interesting because I can use my mags and the extra parts I have lying around. Is it effective at <100 yards?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

X39 in a ar is really fun! Cheap to shoot.  It may take some work to get it 100% reliable though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically a pistol can have any length barrel. Depending on the state and hunting regulations that may be different.  For example in MN a pistol is designed to be fired by one hand (i.e. no VFG or stock) and either be less than 26" OAL or have a barrel less than 16". Under federal law your pistol could have a 100" barrel as long as doesn't have a stock.

OP I recently faced a similar dilemma and went 300blk. I already have a 5.56mm pistol. My argument against 6.8spc is to get a reliable mag it seems you have to spend $35 a mag. I thought about 7.62x39 but again non standard mags and non standard bolt. 300blk keeps everything the same is very effective out of a short barrel.  The downside is ammo cost. The cheapest I have found for range ammo is $.50 a round you can reload it for much cheaper as the parts are standard. 223 brass and 308 bullets. 6.8spc also has a non standard bolt same as the 7.62x39 bolt I believe.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Rogue how are you liking your pistol?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#11]
8.5 inch... Green mountain is making a run of them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I went off topic and have a 277 wlv barrel on the way. 10.5" just like using the mags I already have.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well I went off topic and have a 277 wlv barrel on the way. 10.5" just like using the mags I already have.
View Quote

Oh I think you will have some fun with that, especially if you reload.  Been looking at the Wolverine for some time and it has some very good points to it.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top