AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have ordered from them on two different occasions, they were very responsive.  Personally I'd prefer a Melonite/Nitride coated bcg to a NB coated one as there inherent staining issue isn't something I care for and it's a plated coating where the other isn't.  Or just go Mil Spec phosphate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BCG, you should consider a Toolcraft that is a vetted contractor
WC Armory

Decided to shoot them an e-mail and got a response the same day (Great Sign) and all questions I had were answered. My question to you is, have you ever purchased from WCARMORY? I ask because the prices listed for the Nickle Boron version is roughly $70 dollars difference. That is a bit large of a variance in price. Even the regular black BCG is $23 dollars less - but $23 is a bit more realistic of a variance. I'll inquire with them again if they will still back the products with the same Lifetime Warranty that is posted on their website. If they will, then I'll go through WCArmory otherwise I'll order directly from the site they advised for $110 - which is still cheaper than the $170 i was looking at for a BCG originally. Thank You!!

I have ordered from them on two different occasions, they were very responsive.  Personally I'd prefer a Melonite/Nitride coated bcg to a NB coated one as there inherent staining issue isn't something I care for and it's a plated coating where the other isn't.  Or just go Mil Spec phosphate.

You ordered directly from Toolcraft? or from WCArmory? My concern is only that Toolcraft, if I have an issue, might tell me they wont stand being the product blah blah blah since I ordered it from WCArmory. As for coating finish I head NB is easier to clean, which is a plus but Mil Spec will work fine also.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#2]
UPDATED LIST: Not Confirmed 100% Yet

Palmetto State Armory Complete Pistol Lower
MAS Defense 7.5" 5.56 / .223 1X9 M4 CONTOUR HARDENED CHROME MOLY BARREL
Rainer Arms Upper Receiver
Aero Precision 7” M Lok Handguard
Triton .223/5.56 BCG or Toolcraft BCG Black
Strike Industries Cookie Cutter Comp
Strike Industries Charging Handle

Still need to find a Gas Block and Tube - But this should be just about everything I hope!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 3:37:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I pray that in the course of my existance I wont be in a war caliber defense situation - so the bulk of the use will be range - maybe hunting with some of my outdoors friends. Though I know this answer, I will pose the question - is 55 or 62 grain not sufficient for defense situations? I understand the logic of the 1:7 vs 1:9 now that it was explained - but in what setting would I need to be using that weight of ammo?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
another option for the barrel is this one w/ 1:7 twist rate.

Dont know the difference in 1:7 and 1:9 - Any insight?

twist rate
1:7 will stabilize heavier bullets, 69 gr and heavier but it will also do well with 55 gr rounds. IF you choose light 40 gr varmint loads 1:7 is too fast and will overstablize and can in some cases cause bullets to disintegrate when they exit the barrel.  
1:8 is considered a good compromise between 1:7 and 1:9
1:9 will not do as well with heavier bullets.

And this is a whole different debate and it's possible that a 1:9 may not work optimally with 75 and 77 grain bullets, but if it is primarily a range gun you will likely be shooting 55 grain ammo that it will excel at shooting more so than a 7 twist where it was designed more for the heavies and not the lighter 50/55/62 grain class bullets.  It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as it isn't a medium to long range firearm.

I pray that in the course of my existance I wont be in a war caliber defense situation - so the bulk of the use will be range - maybe hunting with some of my outdoors friends. Though I know this answer, I will pose the question - is 55 or 62 grain not sufficient for defense situations? I understand the logic of the 1:7 vs 1:9 now that it was explained - but in what setting would I need to be using that weight of ammo?

Heavier bullets properly stabilized will remain supersonic for longer distances and with their higher ballistic coefficient will be more accurate at longer distances.
Long range shooters will use 75 and 77 gr OTM bullets. A lighter bullet with poorer ballistics would make hits difficult when you have to deal with wind deflection. Even in the space of 100 yards the wind can be moving in multiple directions.

If you don't plan on attempting 300+ yard shots 55gr ammo from a 1/9 will do. Even then you can get hits with that combo at 300+ yards.

I deliberately chose a 10.5 inch 1/8 Wylde chamber barrel for my first AR pistol because its a very flexible barrel in that it will handle 55 to 77 gr loads and eventually it will be suppressed and SBRd
Ye,s a 10.5 inch barrel can reach out beyond 300 yards, it all depends on the shooter.

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#4]
And this is a whole different debate and it's possible that a 1:9 may not work optimally with 75 and 77 grain bullets, but if it is primarily a range gun you will likely be shooting 55 grain ammo that it will excel at shooting more so than a 7 twist where it was designed more for the heavies and not the lighter 50/55/62 grain class bullets.  It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as it isn't a medium to long range firearm.

Heavier bullets properly stabilized will remain supersonic for longer distances and with their higher ballistic coefficient will be more accurate at longer distances.
Long range shooters will use 75 and 77 gr OTM bullets. A lighter bullet with poorer ballistics would make hits difficult when you have to deal with wind deflection. Even in the space of 100 yards the wind can be moving in multiple directions.

If you don't plan on attempting 300+ yard shots 55gr ammo from a 1/9 will do. Even then you can get hits with that combo at 300+ yards.

I deliberately chose a 10.5 inch 1/8 Wylde chamber barrel for my first AR pistol because its a very flexible barrel in that it will handle 55 to 77 gr loads and eventually it will be suppressed and SBRd
Ye,s a 10.5 inch barrel can reach out beyond 300 yards, it all depends on the shooter.

Thank you for that. I'm learning because I actually understand it which is good. I don't off the top of my head know a range locally with more than 100 yards outdoors as I live in south florida so me needed to go 300 yrs is non existant. When I purchase another full size rifle - I might want to know more about being accurate beyond 100 yards but I dont favor larger optics and I dont live in such spaces
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Another point of help I need - Since I have all the key components down what about the minor bolts and nuts and such that might be needed? I wont include the gas block in this grouping but aside from the gas tube and a barrel nut what else is going to come down to being needed?

I just want to make sure I have everything when its time to have it assembled to make it easier for whoever is going to assemble it for me in the end.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there anything beside the following?

Gas tube - gas tube roll pin - barrel nut - firing pin
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing fancy about a gas tube.  Just make sure it's the right length to match the gas hole location on your barrel (I'm guessing pistol gas length since it's a 7.5" barrel).  After that you just have to decide if you want it with a shiny stainless finish or black.
Most gas blocks will include the gas tube roll pin.

The barrel nut is specific to your rail since it uses a proprietary design, so it should be included with that.

The firing pin is generally considered included in the BCG (bolt carrier group).

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Tool Craft BCG comes with a bolt and firing.

Is the Rainer upper stripped or an assembled receiver?

The AERO M-Lok may require their Bar barrel nut.
    From the AERO site..... "Are you attaching this handguard to a standard threaded upper receiver?  Make sure to select "Yes" under the Bar Barrel Nut option above (shims included). Our handguards use the BAR interface and do not work with a standard barrel nut. If you are using our M4E1 Enhanced Upper Receiver, no additional pieces are needed. Purchased with a handguard, the BAR Barrel Nut is $20 ($40 when sold separately)."

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

From the AERO site..... "Are you attaching this handguard to a standard threaded upper receiver?  Make sure to select "Yes" under the Bar Barrel Nut option above (shims included). Our handguards use the BAR interface and do not work with a standard barrel nut. If you are using our M4E1 Enhanced Upper Receiver, no additional pieces are needed. Purchased with a handguard, the BAR Barrel Nut is $20 ($40 when sold separately)."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rainer upper is a stripped upper. I had a feeling that the BCG might come with a firing pin- since I didnt know where this would be going in my research I figured it had to be included.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nothing fancy about a gas tube.  Just make sure it's the right length to match the gas hole location on your barrel (I'm guessing pistol gas length since it's a 7.5" barrel).  After that you just have to decide if you want it with a shiny stainless finish or black.

The barrel nut is specific to your rail since it uses a proprietary design, so it should be included with that.

The firing pin is generally considered included in the BCG (bolt carrier group).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there any reason to go with a Melonite gas tube that the standard? I did read that pistol length is what I will need.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The rainer upper is a stripped upper. I had a feeling that the BCG might come with a firing pin- since I didnt know where this would be going in my research I figured it had to be included.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stripped upper, then you will need the forward assist assembly and the ejection port cover assembly.  And as you mentioned a gas block (steel not aluminum) and pistol gas tube of your choice.  I would still say you should find another muzzle device as you will quickly see how obnoxiously loud that cookie cutter is going to be on such a short barrel, unless that is what you really want a teeth rattler.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Is there any reason to go with a Melonite gas tube that the standard? I did read that pistol length is what I will need.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe if you didn't want to see the shiny silver color of a stainless one through your handguard.

I have used both and either works the same.  As far a the melonite and corrosion protection, I've never has  stainless tube rust so to me its a 6 of one, half dozen of the other.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Kineti-tech flashhider with redirector for 58 bucks..... budget in mind. I have one and it works.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Charging handle has been ordered.... along with my AFG. So things are moving!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Can anyone give any feedback on the KX3 by noveske? Reconsidering options for the pistol possibly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can anyone give any feedback on the KX3 by noveske? Reconsidering options for the pistol possibly.
View Quote

KX3 is a good addition to a pistol... as is the Kaw Valley comp and the Levang Comp, which are both far cheaper. I'd say a linear compensator is a must-have for an AR pistol, I really don't want that fireball any closer to my face than it has to be.

Also someone earlier in this thread bashed Radical because they've heard bad things... I've looked and looked and looked and found little bad that anyone has to say about them, but praise and good reviews are easy to find. I just don't think people want to believe anything less than $800 for an upper can be any good. Heck, I've seen more horror stories about Larue and Noveske than I ever have about Radical.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks..... I'm going to look and see about the two suggestions you gave....
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#18]
If you havent ordered your BCG yet, Rock River Arms is closing out their semi autos for $87.  Do a search on RRA BCG. I bought one and it's great in my pistol.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll look into this as an option.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd buy a Toolcraft over a RRA BCG every day of the week including Sundays.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd buy a Toolcraft over a RRA BCG every day of the week including Sundays.
View Quote

Going to go with toolcraft also ( unless triton comes in at a better price )
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Update!

Spoke with a gunsmith said it will be about $100 to assemble and test fire.

Just ordered my melonite gas tube... chipping away little by little
So with that I have the charging handle/gas tube/afg/stripped upper

I'm having a hard time finding this particular dust cover door I want but I'll find it eventually.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Update!

I'm having a hard time finding this particular dust cover door I want but I'll find it eventually.
View Quote

What are you looking for?
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update!

The strike industries enhanced capsule dust cover
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update!

http://www.wingtactical.com/firearm-accessories/ar-15/upper-receiver-parts/upper-receiver-parts/strike-industries-ar-15-enhanced-ultimate-dust-cover-multi-design/

Is it this?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://www.wingtactical.com/firearm-accessories/ar-15/upper-receiver-parts/upper-receiver-parts/strike-industries-ar-15-enhanced-ultimate-dust-cover-multi-design/

Is it this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update!

Is it this?

INDEED!!! Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Just an update....

Have my dust cover/ stripped upper/gas tube/AFG/charging handle

Anyone have any grip recommendations to swap out on the PSA Complete lower? Also are there any good priced placed to pick up magpul gen 2 mbus? Thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anyone have any grip recommendations to swap out on the PSA Complete lower? Also are there any good priced placed to pick up magpul gen 2 mbus? Thanks guys
View Quote

If you're a MagPul fan and end up going that route, I'd recommend the + series grips i.e. MOE+, K+, K2+ ect.  They have the added layer of rubber.

Best price I've found for the mbus set is Schuyler Arms.  Good guy and great CS.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just an update....

Have my dust cover/ stripped upper/gas tube/AFG/charging handle

View Quote

K2 is good. Also BCM Mod 3, with that little lip between the grip and trigger guard it can make your middle finger more comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Does anyone know of HERA grip? Saw it on Instagram but dont know if its good or anything? Its only 18 bucks on the site, just checking though. Thank you guys for the assistance. Working on speeding up the build.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Update everyone!!

Still going on the build - got a little help up but back on track - checking for barrels now to see if any better deals or options than what Im planning to go with. hope to be finished by end of july minus cerakote
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Question -

The BCG that I decided on is sold out. Any recommendations of BCG? Any good deals on the web now?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Question -

The BCG that I decided on is sold out. Any recommendations of BCG? Any good deals on the web now?
View Quote

Nitrided $89.95 shipped
NiB 99.95 shipped

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGN3BDG&name=AIM+AR%2fM16+.223%2f5.56+Nitride+9310+MPI+Bolt+Carrier+Group&search=bcg

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Have never heard of this brand - but I will do some research.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top