Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/30/2015 10:46:38 AM EDT
So I looked through all the pistol posts and didn't really find my answer, and even if the answer is who knows you'll have to try it to find out that's fine too.

So I'm building my first pistol, and I'm doing it in 300 because I want to eventually SBR it and put a suppressor on it. So I'm going with a 10.5" barrel, it has a 0.101 gas port hole, pistol length gas tube. Am I going to need an adjustable gas block, and would a standard weight carbine buffer work?

Another reason I'm going for 300 is I'm going to buy myself a reload press and figured once I get a suppressor I could play around with making my own subsonic loads.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
It might. It depends on many things. The tolerance of the parts, the rifling of the barrel, the alignment of the gas system, the ammo you use, the altitude your at, the temperature, just to name a couple. If you buy a Carbine buffer and an H3 buffer you can mix and match the internal weights to create any buffer you need. But you must shoot it first to find out.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok I kind of figured as much. Guess it's time to experiment!
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW and obviously your experience may vary but I was in the same boat and built a 300BO with a 10.5 barrel, pistol length gas.  I don't know what the gas hole was, the barrel is a a Ranier Ultra Match so whatever they drill stock is what I have.  

I'm using a pistol buffer tube which is the same as a carbine tube and as far as I can tell just without any locking lug for a stock and a carbine buffer and spring and it's been 100% reliable with the an M16 / full auto style BCG.   I've shot it as high as 2200FPS using 125gr prohunters over 300MP  and as low as 800FPS using 208gr amax's without any change in the hardware.  The subsonics were using A1680 which is pretty gassy.   The initial testing was without a suppressor but it cycles fine with one.

DISCLAIMER:  800FPS is dangerously low IMO so tread carefully in that area, I just wanted to see how low I could get and it still cycle and it just kept working as I kept reducing powder.  I stopped at 800 because it was already in the ludicrously low range and I didn't want to have to knock a stuck bullet out of the barrel.     If you blow your gun up by shooting a round into a stuck bullet you've been warned.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top