Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2015 2:45:26 PM EDT

For a few years now I have wanted to build something similar to this as a legal pistol.

I have completed the lower, an Aero with the "proper" markings with a shockwave brace but I am not sure on what to do with the upper. Originally I planned to build it with a standard A Frame sight block and magpul hand guards but I am told that requires modifying the barrel I want I to use to handle taper pins.

I have built a couple of uppers in the past. But they always had free float rails. Using "standard" hand guards and a sight block is something I have no experience with.

Should I just use a free float tube? Or go through with the "standard" hand guards?

Oh and FYI I know the gun will not be a clone of what he is holding in the video.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I built my 10.5" with an Armalite clamp on FSB and B5 handguards.

Found one here, they come and go: http://www.panteltactical.com/pd-armalite-a2-gun-clamp-on-sight.cfm

I have a Gatorgrip on my 16" 6.8 and it was fun listening to my younger son work thru underbrush with it hunting this year - it would sometimes get hit by a branch and ring like a small bell. The composite handguards I used in the service, and the ones I bought from Cav Arms I first used on it wouldn't do that. Neither do the B5 guards on my 10.5".

Handguards are considerably less expensive and you can mount things on them when you need to - it was done all the time before tubes. For the most part, most casual users don't need to add any lights or lasers, both of which are prohibited in MO deer season anyway. And added to that, the more you mount on it, the more muzzle heavy you make it, and the more training and practice it takes to be completely familiar with their use. It makes front free floats a very expensive accessory mount when you use them - or not.

With a pistol that has a primary range of less than 125M it has to be asked just how much stuff actually needs to be on the gun when it's mostly used in very close quarters. Sure, some highly trained users are out their doing hostage rescue of maritime Captains held hostage by sea pirates - after 5-6 years of ongoing training.

For most of the rest of us, not so much. We don't shoot couple of thousand rounds a month live fire in a shoot house to even warm up to the use of lights and lasers. Mostly dress up for a gun that sits in the closet away from the kids, and the money for them goes to naught. After five years they are about two generations behind and out of style, like a 2010 Mustang.

But we spend the money and play the games anyway.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top