Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2015 6:05:28 PM EDT
This thing fits my hand pretty good. Just curious about everyone else's thoughts and possible drawbacks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Why the AK sight radius on an AR?

Sure it should work with the big peep hole, but I don't get it.

Not a fan of that style of grip myself.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#2]
They are mbus sites.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are mbus sites.
View Quote

Right - he's asking why you have them where they are. The rear sight should be in the last rearward slot of your receiver.

The grip should be just fine. Assuming you're talking about the rear grip. I have no idea what is under your handguard
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh you should do yourself a favor and try a more vertically canted grip like a B5, magpul K2, BCM  and many other similar ones. "Reduced grip angle promotes less pressure on the wrist for a more ergonomic feel."  It's a night and day difference in the perceived feel for me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I guess I will go first, what is that thing a tactical potato? And what's up with your sights?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Only if you like cupping the balls...

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#7]

My peer group would likely never let me live that one down.

And yeah, OP, move rear sight all the way back ... the idea is to get as long a sight radius as possible, more forgiving for the ergonomics of accuracy.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Damn. Nasty looking potato
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#9]
If that is a pic of your pistol, how does it feel to you? Your stance holding the gun is what counts - is the angle ok or do you want less of it?

I've got a Magpul K on mine and I'm thinking at first blush it's still not vertical enough. But I need to go shoot it for awhile and see where my final holding posture winds up. Nobody can decide that but you. The more you hold the pistol up to the line of sight of your eye, the more your forearm goes vertical and the less angle you need at the grip.

For once, it really is all about you. How's it working it what counts.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 2:25:19 AM EDT
[#10]
It's not a vertical grip so it should be legal on a pistol, but it doesn't provide an advantage to grip and point the weapon.

Compare it to something like this MAS Defense grip that positions the off hand index finger pointing down the barrel similar to the method trap shooters use to get on target.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 2:34:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Lol...I had never considered the technical merits of that grip.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:50:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Hahaha I'm surprised the tactical scrotum grip isn't more popular haha
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Good god.

With all the information here and elsewhere, how one could confidently mount their BUIS's in that manner is truly astounding.

As for the grip thing. I'm not sure where to even begin.

OP, here's some homework.

Do some research on a who's who of legit, highly experienced and accomplished gun fighters. BCM has a few on their roster of trainers so there's a place to start.

Study their weapons. Look at how they're set up. Then, look at your gun. Does yours have to mirror theirs? No. Should it be an enormous and unfounded departure from what these guys use? Probably not.

Fundamentals of a good fighting guns foundation don't differ all that wildly. There's some degree of commonality.....for a reason. Trying to reinvent the wheel in this particular case serves only one purpose.....to look different (while at the sacrifice of function).

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Can the OP please define "grip," because it usually refers to the one behind the trigger. Hence my comments.

If it's about that front thingy, then ignore. I'm trying to .
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#15]
timtimtim,

you are getting a lot of negative comments on your set up. I'm willing to bet you probably don't know why and/or are feeling kinda shamed on.

Let me try to explain it to you in a "nice" kinda way. Everybody has to start somewhere

The first thing is your MBUS sights. People are telling you that the sight radius on your pistol is bad, they are right. If you look through your rear sight and acquire the front sight with they way they are set up now it is probably a little difficult or kind of blurry. Try moving your rear sight all the way to the rear (the area near the charging handle) Now try it again, I know you will find the sight picture much better/easier. In addition to this the top rail of the upper is typically much more solid than the top rail of the hand guard.

The second thing is the "grip" you have on the bottom of your hand guard. I myself purchased a 10.5 Radical firearms upper with the same rail/hand guard, I ended up running the rail with nothing on it in regards to angled grip or handstop. I felt that the rail itself was wide enough for me to get a good grip around and I could manage recoil well using a "C grip" style. ( I also have large hands)

I will say that I would not put such a device on any of the AR's that I own. I can imagine that this adds a good amount of weight to your pistol and I can't imagine that this device would help you in moving your pistol on the "horizontal plane" if you were trying to acquire targets quickly. Have you seen the Magpul AFG? I feel like this would be a great product for you.

Also I have heard that the slots on the hand guard you have will accept mapul MOE accessories (example: https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-polymer-rail-11-slots)
I personally felt the Radical Handguard was well made, but I wanted a hand guard that was much slimmer and ended up putting a hand stop on my new rail.

Hope this was helpful and if you have any other questions feel free to message me

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:17:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This thing fits my hand pretty good. Just curious about everyone else's thoughts and possible drawbacks. http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l419/i3p2k3/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsi25o3nf9.jpeg
View Quote

Ugly, but unlike the Magpul AFG it keeps your fingers clear of the rail when it gets really hot.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I figured this was going to turn into a dumpster fire when all the info I found referred to it as the "potato grip" . Thanks for the tips for those that helped. I have decided against it because I don't really think I want a flashlight now. Just going to keep it simple. I just put the kak flash hider and mbus sites on real quick to see what I was dealing with.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can the OP please define "grip," because it usually refers to the one behind the trigger. Hence my comments.

If it's about that front thingy, then ignore. I'm trying to .
View Quote

From a legal definition, there's no such thing as a grip. Grip is only used as an adverb (gripped) in legal definitions referring to what one does to a stock.  Even the justice department doesn't define it.  They just talk about "vertical fore grip" but never define what they're talking about other than it changes a pistol to an AOW.   So essentially to find out if something is a "vertical fore grip", you'd have to ask the Justice Department because they are the keeper of the definition, presumably.

I guess the correct question for them would be, "please define the perimeters of vertical fore grip".  Or perhaps maybe someone should ask them what a "non-vertical fore grip" is and if that changes a pistol to an AOW.  Lots of questions still to be asked.

https://www.atf.gov/file/97256/download

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I think anyone would be hard pressed to call that thing a vertical grip.

"Hand has a vertical grip on the firearm", would be as a noun.

grip
noun [C usually sing]  US    /gr?p/      
› a way of ?holding something, or a ?tight ?hold:
She has a ?strong/?firm/?weak grip.
He ?lost his grip on Nancy’s ?arm.
fig. They were in the grip of a ?tropical ?storm (= ?suffering ?its ?effects).
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#20]

My personal favorite

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top