Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2015 11:04:45 AM EDT
Anyone have any idea where to get a thread adapter to put a 9mm(1/2x28) Suppressor onto an ar15 300aac BO pistol (5/8x24)
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#1]
You must have the weakest googlefoo eeeevvvveeeerrrrrrrrr...............

Thread adapter

OK Edit...

Went the wrong way...

Silencerco
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you suggesting using both those adapters together?  Because either one will not do the trick.  That first adapter with change the threads of my  AR15 pistol from 5/8x24 to 1/2x24 then I would have to use the second adapter to reduce the overall size of the thread.  Theoretically that would do it but I am not sure how safe that would be plus the fact that you would have a silencer screwed onto and adapter screwed onto another adapter screwed onto the barrel.  I am looking for a single thread adapter.

Edit... Thats what you meant when you said wrong way...

Actually that first thread adapter would do the exact opposite of what I needed.  I have thoroughly searched all sites I could think of to find the right adapter silencer shop, silencer store, ebay, amazon, ect... None of them have the correct adapter to do what I need
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#3]
My FFL, who has a great deal of knowledge concerning suppressors, said using a pistol can for a rifle cartridge is not a good idea. The rifle cartridge will produce more pressure than a pistol cartridge. In the case of newer osprey models, the pieces that are press fit together will begin to separate.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you suggesting using both those adapters together?  Because either one will not do the trick.  That first adapter with change the threads of my  AR15 pistol from 5/8x24 to 1/2x24 then I would have to use the second adapter to reduce the overall size of the thread.  Theoretically that would do it but I am not sure how safe that would be plus the fact that you would have a silencer screwed onto and adapter screwed onto another adapter screwed onto the barrel.  I am looking for a single thread adapter.

Edit... Thats what you meant when you said wrong way...

Actually that first thread adapter would do the exact opposite of what I needed.  I have thoroughly searched all sites I could think of to find the right adapter silencer shop, silencer store, ebay, amazon, ect... None of them have the correct adapter to do what I need
View Quote

Yeah the second one was to illustrate what you need.  Will say though that if you got that one and had the female end tapped to the 5/8 size you'd be in business.  

I agree, however, that a rifle cartridge is going to put excess wear on your pistol internals.  If you running Ti that changes things a bit, but otherwise I couldn't recommend doing it either.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually this was a TI-Rant 9s so I Heard that it would do pretty well with 300 AAC BO
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone have any idea where to get a thread adapter to put a 9mm(1/2x28) Suppressor onto an ar15 300aac BO pistol (5/8x24)
View Quote

That's an odd size for a 9mm barrel.  The reason they don't put 1/2x28 on 9mm barrels is the danger of screwing on a 5.55 flash suppressor and having a kaboom.  That being said, that's a weird thread pattern for a 9mm can obviously because it's odd to see that on a 9mm barrel.  

TROS USA makes about every adapter possible.  But I don't think they would make that one, because it's such a weird combo.  Not all of their adapters are listed on their website.  You'll have to call them.

http://www.trosusa.com/

9mm cans work fine for BO subsonic.  You wouldn't want to put full power loads through it though.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's an odd size for a 9mm barrel.  The reason they don't put 1/2x28 on 9mm barrels is the danger of screwing on a 5.55 flash suppressor and having a kaboom.  That being said, that's a weird thread pattern for a 9mm can obviously because it's odd to see that on a 9mm barrel.  

TROS USA makes about every adapter possible.  But I don't think they would make that one, because it's such a weird combo.  Not all of their adapters are listed on their website.  You'll have to call them.

9mm cans work fine for BO subsonic.  You wouldn't want to put full power loads through it though.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you even read what the OP was stating and asking
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My FFL, who has a great deal of knowledge concerning suppressors, said using a pistol can for a rifle cartridge is not a good idea. The rifle cartridge will produce more pressure than a pistol cartridge. In the case of newer osprey models, the pieces that are press fit together will begin to separate.
View Quote

300 Blk subsonic isn't really a "rifle" round.  

Here's one source that measured the pressure.  

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=20&t=370803
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's asking for something that doesn't exist because no one makes a 9mm barrel in 1/2x28 (it's irrelevant what his barrel actually is because to get to what he wants, the first thing has to exist).  He has a 9mm suppressor for a barrel that doesn't exist.  Do you understand that's why what he's looking for doesn't exist?  Are you paying attention?  

TROS will make him one.  That's all he needs to know, Mr. Peanut Gallery.  If you think you've got the answer, state it or STFU.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:06:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He's asking for something that doesn't exist because no one makes a 9mm barrel in 1/2x28 (it's irrelevant what his barrel actually is because to get to what he wants, the first thing has to exist). He has a 9mm suppressor for a barrel that doesn't exist.  Do you understand that's why what he's looking for doesn't exist?  Are you paying attention?  

TROS will make him one.  That's all he needs to know, Mr. Peanut Gallery.  If you think you've got the answer, state it or STFU.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's asking for something that doesn't exist because no one makes a 9mm barrel in 1/2x28 (it's irrelevant what his barrel actually is because to get to what he wants, the first thing has to exist). He has a 9mm suppressor for a barrel that doesn't exist.  Do you understand that's why what he's looking for doesn't exist?  Are you paying attention?  

Dude! Did you leave your account logged in? Somebody is posing as you and pranking people!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously. Do you have any idea what you're going on about? Several people make 9mm barrels in 1/2x28. I have one from CMMG.

BTW, I run my 9mm can with a 1/2x28 fixed mount on my 4.5" AR 9mm upper.

ETA. I run my 9mm can on 300BLK with a 5/8x24 fixed mount.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, I know they exist.  Storm Lake makes Glock barrels with 1/2"x28 threads.  It's all very dangerous because you can screw on a 5.56 flash hider on there and blow up your gun.  That's why most responsible manufacturers use 1/2"x36 on their 9mm barrels.  Not a big deal until you do it.  

But you're still not going to find that adapter because responsible manufacturers are not stupid enough to take a .308 thread and reduce it to 5.56 because you really don't want to put a 5.56 flash hider on a .308.

That's still the point, YOU WILL NOT FIND ONE because it's not a good idea from a manufacturing liability stand point.  That being said, you can have anything made.

Guess they weren't stupid enough to put 1/2-28" on an AR-15 barrel (although that really doesn't mean they aren't that stupid, ya know).  

https://www.cmmginc.com/shop/barrel-sub-assm-8-5-mt-4140cm-sbn-9mm/

By the way, now that you get it, good luck finding that adapter (advertised) which is still the original request.  It's not going to happen because it's not a good idea to make one.  I wouldn't turn one of those unless I really trusted the person.  It's OK to own one, though.  9mm cans work well on subsonic Blackout.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Actually you cannot put a 5.56 flash hider on a 9mm Barrel... Even if the thread pitch is the same (1/2x28) the barrel diameter is different so that really doesn't apply...Thread pitch doesn't not equal barrel size at all... 1/2x28 is a very common thread for many 9mm barrels.  Why else would that be the default threading on those silencers?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Actually you cannot put a 5.56 flash hider on a 9mm Barrel... Even if the thread pitch is the same (1/2x28) the barrel diameter is different so that really doesn't apply...Thread pitch doesn't not equal barrel size at all... 1/2x28 is a very common thread for many 9mm barrels.  Why else would that be the default threading on those silencers?
View Quote

Uhhhhhh the 1/2 in 1/2x28 is the diameter ...
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Also if you will look at the link you have,,, the barrel narrows to the diameter of a normal 9mm pistol barrel...There is no way a normal 5.56 flash hider will attach to that even if the threads were both 1/2x28 for the barrel and the flash hider...that is done by design
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Uhhhhhh the 1/2 in 1/2x28 is the diameter  
View Quote

1/2" is the length of the threading from the tip of the barrel
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

If you say so
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#17]
 [Jump To Reply]Quoted:

If you say so
View Quote

Well its more complicated than that but the point is the 1/2" is not the diameter of the barrel  
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well its more complicated than that but the point is the 1/2" is not the diameter of the barrel  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
 [Jump To Reply]Quoted:

If you say so

It's the diameter of the threaded portion of the barrel. Saying one 1/2x28 flash hider won't fit on some barrels threaded 1/2x28 is complete nonsense
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#19]
1/2", 9/16", 5/8" are the barrel diameters at the threaded area of the muzzle. Not the length of the threaded section of muzzle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#20]
[Jump To Reply]Quoted:
[Jump To Reply]Quoted:

If you say so

It's the diameter of the threaded portion of the barrel. Saying one 1/2x28 flash hider won't fit on some barrels threaded 1/2x28 is complete nonsense
View Quote

So you are saying that my 5.56(1/2x28) flash hider will screw onto my glock 9mm threaded barrel(1/2x28) ???

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So you are saying that my 5.56(1/2x28) flash hider will screw onto my glock 9mm threaded barrel(1/2x28) ???

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[Jump To Reply]Quoted:
[Jump To Reply]Quoted:

If you say so

Yes it will.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Join the discussion here...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1795779_Can_we_discuss_thread_pitch_briefly_.html&page=1&anc=56028184#i56028184
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#25]
yes
View Quote

I stand corrected...I never removed a flash hider from one of my ar15s before a looked...I always saw the outside of the barrel and believed that it was about that diameter but since I just tried and succeeded then  that does seem a bit odd... From what I have seen the 1/2x28 is one of the most common thread pitches for 9mm silencers and 9mm barrels and for that to be the same threading for 5.56 seems unwise
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Either way this a bit off what I really wanted to know...   I should have said "What is the best way to get my Ti-Rant 9s silencer(1/2x28 mounted to my ar15 300 aac BO pistol(5/8x24)?"
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Thats exactly what I was looking for,

Thanks!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes, I know they exist.  Storm Lake makes Glock barrels with 1/2"x28 threads.  It's all very dangerous because you can screw on a 5.56 flash hider on there and blow up your gun. That's why most responsible manufacturers use 1/2"x36 on their 9mm barrels.  Not a big deal until you do it.  

But you're still not going to find that adapter because responsible manufacturers are not stupid enough to take a .308 thread and reduce it to 5.56 because you really don't want to put a 5.56 flash hider on a .308.

That's still the point, YOU WILL NOT FIND ONE because it's not a good idea from a manufacturing liability stand point.  That being said, you can have anything made.

Guess they weren't stupid enough to put 1/2-28" on an AR-15 barrel (although that really doesn't mean they aren't that stupid, ya know).  

https://www.cmmginc.com/shop/barrel-sub-assm-8-5-mt-4140cm-sbn-9mm/

By the way, now that you get it, good luck finding that adapter (advertised) which is still the original request.  It's not going to happen because it's not a good idea to make one.  I wouldn't turn one of those unless I really trusted the person.  It's OK to own one, though.  9mm cans work well on subsonic Blackout.
View Quote

Dude, just stop.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top